HPR Deuces Wild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is gonna be a sweet launch. I think I am gonna stay all of Monday now. If you need any help with anything I would be glad to do it

Carl, you are a GENIUS! Nice Rocket, Nice Pics. Plan on trying it with two I211's or I195's? That would be 2 cool!

Jason

Thanks for the kind words guys...it is much appreciated. I plan on the first launch being two Pro38 3-grain I212-SS Smokey Sams at Whitakers. As far as progress goes, both upper body tubes and nosecone are now final painted with three coats of Sky Blue Krylon Glossy Paint. I am going for the blue/yellow color pattern of the Deuces Wild on the front sleeve of the original kit...the colors should have nice contrast and, although I am not a big fan of the color, I must admit the Blue looks pretty nice.

Haere is a pic: <a target="_blank" href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=hprdw%2Fdw77.jpg">Upper Section Paint Finished</a>

Jim, as far as the Deuces decal goes, I think it would be a great idea! The cards should be the size of real playing cards, to give you perspective on size. Also, I would like to have two large FlisKits decals the same width/size as the cards and would like to place them on alternating fins...eg: cards, logo, cards, logo...if that is ok with you. Also, I would like to aquire a " Deuces Wild! " decal with 1 1/2" tall letters to put up the BT and would need two of those. You can either send me the graphics to size and I can get em, or you can upscale them and get them printed. I have good contacts to get them done in vinyl though, so let me know.

Back to the lower Body Tube...filling in process.

Carl

Don't stop now, Carl, yer on a roll!!

Lookin' really great...and I like the blue!

sandman

I agree! The blue looks awesome! In my opinion, you can never go wrong with blue and yellow paint schemes. But then again, I'm from Michigan, so I might be somewhat biased to that color combination... :D

Loopy

Yeah, if it was Kentucky Blue it would look much better!

Shane

Or Marquette blue!!! (sorry, sorry, had to be done... :p )

Loopy

All right, Tulanko, it's been a week and a half since you gave a status report on the HPR DW. I figure by now it's got to be all finished. C'mon, let's see the final product. Quit holding out on us !!!!!

I thought that I should let you all know that I am doing a 24mm upscale of the DW. I am using the motor tubes as my upscale feature, which makes it a 133% upscale. I'll make a new thread later on when I get the parts made!

Jason

Jetra,

The 24mm version sounds very cool...keep us posted and remember, lots of pics man! ;)

OK Ken, you asked for it, but I am not quite done yet. The model was wetsanded with 320 grit, then filled and reprimed. I let it dry for two days , then wetsanded this topcoat with 600 grit in the shower. I let it set for one more day and tonite I applied the Krylon Yellow Paint. It has 3 good coats on it and I will let it dry for a few days before masking. The blue should be done by this weekend.

A few more pics:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=hprdw/dw78.jpg

I need to finish this so I can try to get the HARM ready for Whitakers...as is, it looks like I may not make it, but will give it one heck of a try.

Carl

Carl,

You had better get the HARM done!!!!

Heck, the war is over already!

sandman

Hey, Carl,

Beautiful job, as always! Can't wait to hear about flights and see pics. By the way, the blue you used is the same Krylon color I used on my PML Tethys. I'll be using the Tethys to Level 1 Cert. this weekend.

Swimmer

Hey, Carl,

Can you give me any tips on how your measure out the ratio of hardener to resin with the formula 27 stuff? I picked up some the other day to try, but man, you only have a small amount of hardner compared to the big can of resin. I read the destructions, but sheesh, it says "run a *ribbon* the full length of the puddle you are mixing in"... Ok, what the heck does that mean... How thick or thin is the "ribbon"?

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Sandman ... I am gonna go full bore on it starting this weekend!

Swimmer ... really cool color!!! I am not a big fan of blue, but this actually looks good. Good luck to you this weekend!

Alan,

I make a puddle about 1-2" in diameter per application...I just scoop some out with a wooden mixing stick and plop it on a piece of paper. Make sure you mix it first, as it will have some dark brown oils in it...always mix the can before using.

As far as the "ribbon" goes, I squeeze a line of hardener across the top middle of the puddle...the line is about 1/32" in diameter and I make it so it runs the diameter of the puddle. It looks like a thick white "wire" of hardener going across the top.

If you use too little, it will eventually harden, but feel rubbery for the first 4-6 hours. If you use enough or too much, it will begin hardening in about 3-5 minutes, and be rock hard in an hour, ready to sand. Also, the stuff does not build up as bad on sandpaper, as a slap of the sanding block against your leg will clean it off. This filler is my favorite because of it's sanding qualities; it sands into a fine powder, kinda like flour, and doesn't load up as bad. Let me know how you fair...

As far as the Deuces Wild goes, I am waiting on Jim Flis to provide me a jpg of the decals so I can print them. Also, the lower section has been setting for two days now, so I can paint the blue tonite to finish the model. I picked up some 3M trim tape yesterday, as I ran out, and I will mask, then paint.

Carl

Carl,

No wonder you hate sanding - slapping the block against your leg...ouch! Be sure you wear long pants eh...:D

Shane

PS. You coming out Saturday to VOA?

Shane,

I was going to go this weekend, but my son is testing tomorrow for his Blue Belt in Tae Kwon Do. I may or may not make it Sunday for a short time...I REALLY need to finish my HARM for Whitakers.

Carl

Tulanko, you ORN (Ohio RedNeck), you darn well better finish that HARM this weekend, if you don't want to come to "harm."

As I recall, you originally were gonna have THREE M birds at Whitakers. Now you're down to *maybe* two, if you get the HARM finished.

GET BUSY !!!!

OK guys and Gals...the "Deuces Wild 38 Special" is finally completed!!! I still need to add the two railbuttons and maybe clear coat it, but it is good enough to fly now. Tonite I finished the blue over yellow and have a few final pics. A special thanks goes to Sandman for providing the custom nosecone...it really does look somewhat like the package. To see the real one I modeled it after, visit <a target="_blank" href="https://www.fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm">FlisKits</a>.

Here are the pics: <a target="_blank" href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=hprdw%2Fdw83.jpg">Final Photos</a>

Carl

Time to get busy on the HARM now... :)

Beautiful, just beautiful. It will make for one bitchin' flight too!

Carl I would have to say. You got it as close to the real thing as anyone could ever come. Very nice work. Would be a real joy to watch it fly. Grate job carl.And sand did a real good job on the nose cone for you to.:D

great job carl! BUT...
...we need a pix of you holding it! (maybe while holding a kit Deuce at the same time!)

I've sent you the decal art. it's in yer email
jim

I can't wait to see that fly. Outstanding.

And only two weeks until flight time !!!

Ok, that is absolutely gorgeous!!!! Dude, you have show us the real upscaled DW, not the package pic with a shiny coating!!! In other words, I have a hard time telling which one is the upscale!!!

Somebody needs to create a Blue thunder type EX motor, except with a yellow flame. In example, one of the motorss would be a, say, a H238T, and the other motor would be something like an H240Y, and have a blue and a yellow flame.... can you say NIGHT LAUNCH? The possibilities are ENDLESS!!! :confused:

Jason

beautifull Carl .just beautifull!!!!

I sure would like to see her fly !!!

OMG i'm stunned! truely!

I have to make a point of contacting them and congratulating them on a fine job.

The Deuce's Wild! is truely a world-wide phenomenon!

awesome!

Back