How to remove a dented retainer cap?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
A 54mm retainer cap on one of my rockets got a small dent and now it will not unscrew. I can't figure out a way to get it off without damaging the rocket. Any ideas? I was thinking about applying heat but I suppose the airframe would catch fire before the cap gets hot enough to flex.
Thanks for any tips,
Bill

Post photo please, what type retainer GLR Slimline, Aeropack, etc. A picture will also lets us view the damage and come up with some ideas that may help. If its an aeropack style and you are not trying to save the retainer ring a chain wrench/strap wrench may do the job, or pipe wrench or vise grips, all of those are more or less going to damage whatever they grip.

It is an Aeropack 54mm, I'll post a pic in the morning but the dent may not be visible, it is not very prominent. I assume the ring will go to the garbage once off, would like to save the retainer base.

Yeah I’m curious to see how this turns out I’m going to put an aeropack retainer on my black hole... if it’s a cardboard mmt id be worried about tearing the butt out of the rocket if I got on it with vice grips or something

If the dent is fairly small in diameter, you might be able to very carefully drill the dent out. Try to drill slowly and not drill into the retainer base. Then you may be able to save both, the ring and the base.
I agree that if you try to wrench the ring off with force, you will most likely tear up, or tear out, the motor mount.

Here is a picture, the dent is on top. I tried to pop it out with a screwdriver, but that just broke off the bottom It's not a deep dent, I did not even notice it until I tried to unscrew the cap and it would not budge.
retainer.jpg

You could try cutting it off with a dremel and a cutting wheel, if you have one. It would be tricky but doable and you wouldn't have to cut it all the way through just start it then finish it off with some side cutters. Then just buy the replacement part, which they sell separately. That is assuming the mating part is not damaged as well.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I lucked out this time, it just took a half turn with my friend's pipe wrench and now everything seems back to normal, I can screw it in and out with no problem.

Back