How Tired??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1336

Reaction score
Worked a double shift yesterday, went to the dentist this morning, fell asleep while they were cleaning my teeth. Not completely, one of those moments when you catch yourself just before you completely fall asleep. Any other sleep stories?

Back in my college days, I had a 25-hour per week job as a security guard in a department store, nights and Sundays. One summer, I also worked full-time as a lab tech at my neighbor's company. I would ride in with him in the morning at about 6:30. Many weekdays I'd be up at 5:30, work in the lab (a boiler room in the summer in a full denim jumpsuit) until 3:30, take the bus back to my parent's house, shower as much of the oil smell off of me as I could, say "Hi/Bye" to my dad when he got home, borrowed his car, drove into the city for the security job, close the store at 9:30 PM, set alarms and lock up until about 10 PM, drive a half-hour home, unwind as best I could and hit the sheets about midnight. Not a restful time like during the school year when I wasn't working the lab job and I could catch a few winks in Thermodynamics I.

Now, on to the sleep story:
At that time, I saved money where I could so used a local hair cutting school, $3 wash, cut and blow dry. One day that summer, I got a student who had only cut one live head before mine. She was a bit nervous/cautious. It took her close to one-and-a-half hours to complete the task and I nodded off a few time during that session. I went to her for the rest of her time at school and followed her out to her professional job. She later told me that she felt very reassured that I was relaxed enough to fall asleep during that first cut. I had to burst her bubble and tell her I was dead on my feet most of that summer and sitting idly for any length of time would result in a snooze.

I've only fallen asleep behind the wheel once. Night before my wedding, coming home from the rehearsal which was quite a ways from my house. It was just for a few seconds and I only veered over toward the shoulder from the right lane, but it sobered me up fast and I don't take any chances if I'm the least bit tired.

Ive been a night shift worker for the better part of the last twenty six years. Working a 6pm to 6am shift. I've got more sleep/lack of sleep stories than I care to tell.
Everything from passing out at Thanksgiving dinner after working all night and cooking all morning. Mom still gives me a hard time about that every year. To falling asleep at the wheel on the way home from a scrubbed launch.

Peaceful nights and highway terrors 008.jpg

I've been a truck driver for years, "local" routes, never over the road. At my last job, I pulled in to a truck stop to take a lunch break. Rather than eat, I decided to just take a short nap. I laid my head on the steering wheel, and caught some z's. When I woke up, there was a truck backing in to the spot right next to me. I proceeded to grab the steering wheel, yelled some obsenities, and stomped the brakes with everything I had. Needless to say, quite a few truck drivers had a good laugh at my expense!

Back