How old are you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How the heck old are you anyway?!

• Under 18

• 18-24

• 25-30

• 31-40

• 41-55

• 56-65

• 65+

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the results of this poll may be skewed a bit because it is being taken in this forum. People who have been involved with the hobby longer are probably more likely to use the forum and will be, of course, older.

While we have some old farts at our local model rocket club launch each month, the median age of attendees is pretty young. We get a lot of families with kids attending and some of the kids have been coming back for years.

Of enough to remember the transition from black and white TV to color TV.
LOL... long before that! our first (that i can remember) television was about 16 inches wide.. and of course it was B/W. Thinking very first color show on TV in Los Angeles was the 'Flintstones'. i remember being at a friends house the night it came on.. they were the only ones that had a color TV... so basically the whole neighborhood was in there living room.. :)

Old enough to know not to provide this type of personal information on the Internet lol! :D
I completely agree. :D

I'm somewhere in the middle of the group, it seems. The first real launch I remember watching as a semi-functional human was the first Space Shuttle launch.
I don't remember b&w television.
I do remember a time before the internet (I was on the dial-up BBSes, which served as a kind of forerunner).
I did experience a teletype machine, though I was in single digits and never used one professionally. Actually, I played "Oregon Trail" on it. It was a loud game.
So it seems like I'm not among either the youngest or the oldest on this forum.

Interesting thread.
I'm old enough to remember:
1. My father driving a DeSoto.
2. No right turns on red. Period.
3. Mom making coffee in the mornings with a percolator.
4. Prop planes only to travel interisland.
Ah, the good(?) old days.

Last edited:
I completely agree. :D

I'm somewhere in the middle of the group, it seems. The first real launch I remember watching as a semi-functional human was the first Space Shuttle launch.
I don't remember b&w television.
I do remember a time before the internet (I was on the dial-up BBSes, which served as a kind of forerunner).
I did experience a teletype machine, though I was in single digits and never used one professionally. Actually, I played "Oregon Trail" on it. It was a loud game.
So it seems like I'm not among either the youngest or the oldest on this forum.

I'll just say this....I watched the Apollo 11 moon landings

Well It looks like I’m in the 29%… and I already feel old when I remember DVDs…
1704737373867.png

In my day we had VHS and we liked it!:headspinning:

I think the first time I felt old was in 2018 or 2019 when I saw someone mention that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, my favorite childhood video game, was 20 years old.

Now it's 25 years old.

Not much compared to the older guys here, but I'm starting to feel the truth of the saying "I'm not getting any younger."

I read the manga, before it was a video game.
Not sure if this is a joke... but the Ocarina of Time manga came out in 2000, and the video game in 1998. At least one Legend of Zelda manga existed before Ocarina of Time that I know of, but that one was based on A Link to the Past.

Please do educate me if you are talking about something that I wasn't aware of, though...

Not sure if this is a joke... but the Ocarina of Time manga came out in 2000, and the video game in 1998. At least one Legend of Zelda manga existed before Ocarina of Time that I know of, but that one was based on A Link to the Past.

Please do educate me if you are talking about something that I wasn't aware of, though...
Ah, my mistake. I made an assumption.
Usually the pattern is manga first, then anime, then video game.
BTW there was a question on Jeopardy about The Legend of Zelda that none of the contestants got.
Category: Protagonists.
Answer: The Legend of Zelda.
Question: Who is Link.
If I had been playing I would have gotten at least one right!
:D

I remember playing 'where in the world is Carmen Sandiego' in my last year of high school. monochrome screen... Apple IIe if I recall..

My first real design job (start of my career) was on a 286..
Ah, Carmen Sandiego... She is the reason I could name every country in the world while my age was still a single digit. Good times.

they made a TV show a few years ago..
🤣 Your lack of age is showing. 🤣

The ORIGINAL "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" was a kid's game show on PBS in the early to mid 90's. The educational computer games came after, and there was a far earlier animated series than that Netflix one you know of called "Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego" in, I think, the late 90's. There was also a "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego" spinoff that dealt with history in place of geography. I always liked the name "Chronoskimmer" for the time machine in that one.

Edit: Okay, upon double-checking, I was wrong, the games date back to 1985. The game show came after. Regardless, there have been Carmen Sandiego shows for a long time.

Back