How old are you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How the heck old are you anyway?!

• Under 18

• 18-24

• 25-30

• 31-40

• 41-55

• 56-65

• 65+

Results are only viewable after voting.
One advantage to the tower was dad put a big mother Wineguard T.V. antenna up there with an antenna rotator. Could point the antenna towards Rockford, Illinois and receive home Chicago Bears football games in the 1960's.
My father worked for a guy that sold radio equipment. He had a pretty tall tower next to his shop so when television was first coming out he got into that too. He had a television in the window of his shop and could pick up TV signals from 140 miles away. He would leave the tv on at night, people would park in front of his shop and sit in their cars watching the tv. When I was growing up the relatively small city near our town had 2 tv stations and we could also pick up a 3rd station from the nearby state. Since my father was friends with the tv/radio guy we were one of the first in the area with a color tv. Once delivered to your house they required some setup and calibration to get all of the electron guns aimed properly. At some point we had a tv with remote control. I think the remote sent out a sound signal and the tv would rotate the tuning knob clunk,clunk,clunk to get to the next channel.

My father worked for a guy that sold radio equipment. He had a pretty tall tower next to his shop so when television was first coming out he got into that too. He had a television in the window of his shop and could pick up TV signals from 140 miles away. He would leave the tv on at night, people would park in front of his shop and sit in their cars watching the tv. When I was growing up the relatively small city near our town had 2 tv stations and we could also pick up a 3rd station from the nearby state. Since my father was friends with the tv/radio guy we were one of the first in the area with a color tv. Once delivered to your house they required some setup and calibration to get all of the electron guns aimed properly. At some point we had a tv with remote control. I think the remote sent out a sound signal and the tv would rotate the tuning knob clunk,clunk,clunk to get to the next channel.
I've never seen a clunky remote. That sounds awesome.

We grew up in Bellingham, WA near the Canadian border. With rabbit ears, we got all the Vancouver, BC channels including lots of hockey, The Beachcombers, The Friendly Giant, and Curling back when they had the broomsticks (which weren't ergonomic but made an awesome sound).

Eventually, we got cable with 13 channels. Then we moved to the country where we got a massive antenna that needed to be rotated veryyyyyyy slowly. Next we got a massive satellite dish which required rotating the dish to jump from satellite to satellite. It worked mostly great until the networks started scrambling their signals.

My first memory of watching television was the funeral of JFK (in B/W).
I remember it because I was upset that my usual cartoons weren't on, and it was just boring pictures of a casket on a train. I was about 4
I happened to be home sick, was watching around noon just for something to do, when the bulletin interrupted the regular program. I ran to Mom and told her the president had been shot. She didn't believe me until she went to the living room and saw Walter Cronkite at a time he shouldn't have been there. For an 8-year-old it was pretty traumatic (He's the president, you can't shoot a president! :( ).

We grew up in Bellingham, WA near the Canadian border. With rabbit ears, we got all the Vancouver, BC channels including lots of hockey, The Beachcombers, The Friendly Giant, and Curling back when they had the broomsticks (which weren't ergonomic but made an awesome sound).
you probably remember Mr. Dressup too!

I think the remote sent out a sound signal and the tv would rotate the tuning knob clunk,clunk,clunk to get to the next channel.
I remember the clunks. We had a Packard Bell color TV that the repairman retrofitted to remote. I think the clunks came from the motor he put in to turn the channel selector. Everything was mechanical/analog back then.

Hobbies in general are something you do with "excess income", most younger people don't have any, or what they have gets spent on the kids. After the kids get older and move it is when hobbies start to resurface.
Logical. I notice the same with amateur astronomy, though hopefully outreach to younger folks plants seeds. (My scout troop had a "rocketry campout at FAR" and I do local "astronomy evenings" for scouts working on the merit badge). Money can surely be a barrier though low power kits and binoculars offer an entry level.

Our hobby is very heavy on the older end of the spectrum.
It is bc most of us got the bug when we were kids in the hay day of rockets and NASA and going to the moon. I think we are in a new hay day today with Artemis and SpaceX and talk of return to the moon and on to Mars.

It is bc most of us got the bug when we were kids in the hay day of rockets and NASA and going to the moon. I think we are in a new hay day today with Artemis and SpaceX and talk of return to the moon and on to Mars.

I hope the new heyday is true

Well It looks like I’m in the 29%… and I already feel old when I remember DVDs…
I’m going to add that I really don’t think that I would want more people my age in HPR and MPR I wouldn’t trust them not to kill anyone.

!!!!!!!!!
I still have the second one in your pics, without the black tones. But it was a stereo, not tv console.
Stereo long kaput, have been using it as a table for many decades.
You should upgrade and put a modern receiver in it and a newer turntable, take the old speaker drivers and set some bookshelf speakers in the same area.
3fJ1rAM.jpg

I was in elementary school when Kenned was shot. The class was watching something on TV. One of the other teachers came into the room crying and spoke to our teacher who started crying. We were all sent home. When I got home I saw the news on TV. I'll never forget that day. When I was in collage I went to a lecture about the assassination. The speaker was talking about the theory that it was more than one person shooting and that Oswald had nothing to do with it. We watched the Zapruder film many times. We were asked to put up flyers about the next lecture. I almost got arrested by the campus police for putting up the flyers. They told me to take them down. When I got older and began shooting more I realized that Kennedy wasn't just shot from the back. A bullet doesn't make a person fly back if shot from the back. To many of the facts we were told after he was killed just don't add up. Like the motorcycle cop who was looking at the grassy knoll.

Old dudes rock! Maybe it's Elvis but it's still rock! Right?

Everybody talkin' bout the new sound funny but it's still Billy Joel to me. Dang, even Billy Joel is old skewl now.

Just give me my thick launch rods, B14s and butyrate dope.

I"ll be 54 in March. My children say I'm the oldest kid they know. I wish my body would agree.

My grandfather was a TV repairman (remember those?) when I was a kid. Up until the mid 80's all of our family televisions were "home made" contraptions that only Gramps could get to work properly.

Latest posts

Back