How old are you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How the heck old are you anyway?!

• Under 18

• 18-24

• 25-30

• 31-40

• 41-55

• 56-65

• 65+

Results are only viewable after voting.
I remember my Dad filling up the tank at 10¢/gallon.

I remember being at a friend's house as a kid and hearing that the Beatles broke up.

I remember seeing the first men on the moon on TV at school, live.

I remember Marvin Zindler closing down the "bawdy houses" (Chicken Ranch) in LaGrange, TX, creating the events that inspired "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," both the Broadway musical and the movie starring Burt Reynolds, Jim Nabors, Dom Deluise, Charles Durning, Barry Corbin, Robert Mandan, and Dolly Parton. (Dolly and Barry are the only ones still alive.) It also inspired a ZZ Top song, "La Grange."

I remember my dad taking me to see 2001.. cool space movie with a really really weird & confusing ending..

And seeing Smokey & the Bandit! what a great ride!!!

My first real design job (start of my career) was on a 286..
I was a senior in college when the IMSAI 8080 came out. My first big job out of college we had an IBM 1130 that we programmed with punch cards.

My first 2 years of college I used a slide rule.

During college I was working in my father's garage and all cars had spark plugs fired by ignition points, burning gas that was metered through carburetors.

And I walked to college uphill both ways, in the snow (in Austin), and I liked it. (We actually did have a lot of snow in Austin my freshman year.)

I was a senior in college when the IMSAI 8080 came out. My first big job out of college we had an IBM 1130 that we programmed with punch cards.

My first 2 years of college I used a slide rule.

During college I was working in my father's garage and all cars had spark plugs fired by ignition points, burning gas that was metered through carburetors.

And I walked to college uphill both ways, in the snow (in Austin), and I liked it. (We actually did have a lot of snow in Austin my freshman year.)

I did have a Real [not a clone IMSAI] MITS 8800B it was a clean computer I sold in 1999 during TNT Pirates of Silicon Valley being run on cable for weeks and computers were selling on Ebay left and right...

Mine was perfect for a museum but the power supply was blown. A working one sold for $4,700 , mine sold for $1,700 plus shipping which was $250

I'm old enough to remember a time when, if you saw a car in the parking lot that had it's lights on, it was no big deal to go open the door (it was almost certainly unlocked) and turn off the lights. As a favor to a stranger. And, not get shot in the process.

I am this old

Attachments

• IMG_7753.jpeg
    IMG_7753.jpeg
    852 KB · Views: 0
  • Box Front.jpg
    Box Front.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210603_180800220.jpg
    IMG_20210603_180800220.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The bad thing about getting old is all your friends die. The good thing about getting old is all your friends die. I'm as old as gravel. Sand came later.

I'm not surprised at the distribution but I am surprised at just how of us younger ones responded to the poll. My experience has been that there are a decent number of people close-ish in age to me, but they seem to be doing it more on there own than partaking in this forum or some of the Facebook groups.

The bad thing about getting old is all your friends die.
It's been said that the only times one sees extended family are weddings, funerals, and bar/bat mitzvahs. Lately, my extended family seems to be all out of weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs. (We did have a wedding last year, and haven't actually had a funeral in longer, but I keep expecting to lose the members of my parent's generation any day. Mom and Dad are gone, Mom had a brother, Dad had twin sisters, all about five years younger than my parents, all in their 80s, and some of each others' oldest friends. One sister's husband is well into his 90s.)

At my mothers funeral I saw people I hadn't seen in 45 to 50 years. They all sure got older. Even though I'm 67 and will be 68 in April I don't think of myself as that old. My body is that old but my mind doesn't think it is. I have tried to think of when my mind stopped maturing. I haven't decided yet.

Latest posts

Back