How far is your drive to the the nearest HPR launch site?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How far is your drive to the the nearest HPR launch site

• Total voters

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
How far is your drive to the HPR site closest to you?

1 mile.

Edit : that’s straight line. I think it’s 5 miles to get to the park entrance and then to the launch area.

Last edited:
It is roughly thirty miles from our house to the AARG winter launch site, and 60ish miles to our summer launch site.

Just as a point of interest, the greatest distance I have ever traveled to a launch is 7,017 miles (great circle distance).

James

As the crow flies, I am 128 miles away from WAC's launch site in Mansfield, WA, but it's a 4 hour, 189 mile drive. If I go to the TCR launch site outside Pasco, WA, its 190 miles as the crow flies, or another 4 hour drive and 230 miles.

It takes me roughly an hour and a half to drive to the nearest launch club site.

We have held Couple of FAR 101 launches across the road from my house, but we haven't yet pursued a waiver for that site.

Our club's low waiver site (5000') is about an hour away. Our high waiver site (40,000') is in a the high desert and is a three hour + drive (~180 miles) to get to, but worth every minute.

As the crow flies, I am 128 miles away from WAC's launch site in Mansfield, WA, but it's a 4 hour, 189 mile drive. If I go to the TCR launch site outside Pasco, WA, its 190 miles as the crow flies, or another 4 hour drive and 230 miles.
Yes, but we don't have a swamp full of killer mosquitos from hell! To be exact the only water we have to land in might be the puddles from the irrigation or maybe if really unlucky the irrigation canal (not likely given prevailing winds).
[emoji3]

20 miles for our 9K waiver at Pasco, WA, 100 miles for a 5K waiver near Dayton, WA, or 3 hours and about 150ish miles to Mansfield, WA for a 8K or 14K waiver and 40 miles to Touchet WA for a 10K waiver with WHIP. I am blessed with HPR options.

130 miles of rural 2 lane roads puts it around 3 hours, and I am the closest one methinks.
10k waiver up to 14k with a call-in.

How far is your drive to the HPR site closest to you?
From Chapel Hill, NC.... Bayboro, NC is 3 hours exactly, Camden, SC is about 3.5 hours, and Culpeper, VA is almost 5 hours. MDRA at Price, MD is closer than Culpeper, geographically, but involves at least 8 hours of 1000 stoplights, no matter which route I take. Midlands, NC is also about 3 hours, but cannot be referred to as a "high power" site with any honesty.

Alan

61 miles (1hr 10 mins) to QCRS and Midwest Power. 100 miles (1hr 40 mins) to Bong State Recreation Area behind the Cheddar curtain.
I'll make my first trip to Airfest this year. Looks like 700 ish miles and 11 hrs.

about an hour and a half.. just under 100km.. And I cross an international border, then drive thru 2 states.. I cross a lake.. twice (the same lake.. once in one state, the 2nd in the 2nd state).

We have held Couple of FAR 101 launches across the road from my house, but we haven't yet pursued a waiver for that site.

Our club's low waiver site (5000') is about an hour away. Our high waiver site (40,000') is in a the high desert and is a three hour + drive (~180 miles) to get to, but worth every minute.

I had the same drive when i lived in Oregon i miss it and the desert, now it's 5 hours 258 miles to 18K and 2 hours 106 miles to 10K

2 sites "nearby", both a bit over 100 miles away (LUNAR's Snow Ranch and TCC's Helm site), both around 16000' waivers. Black Rock is ~7.5 hours (400 mi) away for higher waivers (though the waiver hasn't been an issue for me so far). Given that I live in a pretty high-population area with 3 major airports nearby, glad I only have to drive 1.5-2 hours to get my HPR fix. :) The 7-hour drive is okay once a year for a multi-day launch (XPRS), it'd drive me crazy to do it more than that.

Yes, but we don't have a swamp full of killer mosquitos from hell! To be exact the only water we have to land in might be the puddles from the irrigation or maybe if really unlucky the irrigation canal (not likely given prevailing winds).
[emoji3]

Both fields are great, and have their benefits. I have officially flown more HPR motors at Pasco than I have anywhere else, and the extra miles, for the same driving time, makes it worth it! Looking forward to the next launch... is it bad I am hoping for under 95 degrees next week?

Both fields are great, and have their benefits. I have officially flown more HPR motors at Pasco than I have anywhere else, and the extra miles, for the same driving time, makes it worth it! Looking forward to the next launch... is it bad I am hoping for under 95 degrees next week?
Not bad at all, but its defi itely the time of year when we get hot here, its supposed to be 101°F on Thursday, its the first time this year we have been over a 100.

70 miles from Bong, about an hour and a half drive
76 miles from QCRS, about an hour and a half drive
Some months, I can get to 3 launches a month... And Wildman is almost always on-site. I'm pretty happy. Only thing better would be a higher waiver and not swamp. But... I'll take it

Back