How do you say ....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this would be interesting, since a lot of us interact only via text communication... There are some words that I've heard pronounced in a couple of different ways; I'm interested to know what YOU do.

Fillet: Fill-it or Fill-ay?
Estes: Est-ease or Est-iss?
Binder Designs: Named after a thing that holds paper (bine-der, rhymes with wine-purr) or someone called Binder with a short I (rhymes with "tinder")?
LOC Precision: L-O-C, "lock", or "loke"?

There are probably some others.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go swaddle myself in Nomex before this thread becomes contentious....
(seriously I hope it doesn't - I'm just curious about how people say these things)

Phil - A

I always said Est-ease, until I started calling and trying to talk to people at Estes. Listening to their call tree menu, it's clearly heard to be "Est-iss".

Scott Binder would probably be the best to anwer that, but when I talk to Mike Fisher (binderdesign) I've asked and been told it's Binder (like what you'd carry around with you in your school backpack).

Can't say for sure on LOC.. I use either L-O-C, or "Lock" (though Lock is the more common version I use).

For the record people... The 33rd state of the US is pronounced "Or uh gun" not "Or E Gone", "Ore gun" or any other oddball Eastern pronunciation. People should also know that there is no "R" in Washington, and no place in Washington where it would be acceptable to the locals as a normal pronunciation as "War Shing Ton" (you'll look and sound like a hick from back east to them).

Last edited:
Phil - A

I always said Est-ease, until I started calling and trying to talk to people at Estes. Listening to their call tree menu, it's clearly heard to be "Est-iss".

Scott Binder would probably be the best to anwer that, but when I talk to Mike Fisher (binderdesign) I've asked and been told it's Binder (like what you'd carry around with you in your school backpack).

Can't say for sure on LOC.. I uses either L-O-C, or "Lock".

For the record people... The 33rd state of the US is pronounced "Or uh gun" not "Or E Gone", "Ore gun" or any other oddball Eastern pronunciation. People should also know that there is no "R" in Washington, and no place in Washington where it would be acceptable to the locals as a normal pronunciation as "War Shing Ton" (you'll look and sound like a hick from back east to them).

Ditto on the pronunciation of Oregon

Binder Design is pronounced "Bine-der". Ay least that is how the owner pronounced it yesterday... ;)

I've never seen anything in the word "Estes" that suggests a long "E" at the end. There would either be 2 e's in a row or it would end with "ese" Personally, I've got a bias because it seems like people that I have heard use the long "E" have usually been the type that tell me, "Me and my friends used to have them Esteez rockets and shoot em at each other."

A timely topic. How do you pronounce FlisKits? I sent them an email just a few days ago and haven't heard back. Is it Flis like 'this' or Flis like 'flys'?

LOC is like Lock. That is how Ron Shultz pronounced it. It was already LOC Precision then. Saying L-O-C Precision seems a bit much.

I've never seen anything in the word "Estes" that suggests a long "E" at the end.

Many plurals end in "es" and are pronounced "eez". Examples:

• indices
  • theses

To say nothing of all the Greek names:

• Hercules
  • Hermes (the Greek god, not the retailer)
  • Eratosthenes

And finally: the Andes mountains (English pronunciation, at least)

That's just off the top of my head.

Fill-it is a carpentry term used for the concave rounding of corners in a joint. This is why fill-it is the correct pronunciation for the concave, rounded joints on a rocket.

Fill-ay is a cut of meat.

This is why I eat at Chick-Fil-A and put fill-its on my rocket. There shouldn't be an argument about this. Two different words, two different meanings, same spelling.

Many plurals end in "es" and are pronounced "eez". Examples:

• indices
  • theses

To say nothing of all the Greek names:

• Hercules
  • Hermes (the Greek god, not the retailer)
  • Eratosthenes

And finally: the Andes mountains (English pronunciation, at least)

That's just off the top of my head.

Well, I did say that "I've" never seen anything. Sometimes I'm oblivious.

puh-kahns is what you make pies outer, pee-cans is what truckers use

roh-dee-ohs has cowboys, roh-day-oh has summin' else

...and it's file what y'all make gumbo thicker

was watching a vid last night...a couple of Brits had a (new to me) way of saying epoxy. they were doing a short e at the beginning, I have always heard it pronounced with a long E...
Rex

Huh. A short e is the way I've always pronounced epoxy.

Almost as much exposition and backstory as Tolkien. Almost.

I'll share that with my Tolkein-obsessed child. Of course, she was so excited to read the Silmarillion because "it's an entire book of appendices!"

Poe-tay-toe or poe-tah-toe?

Toe-may-toe or toe-mah-toe?

Tomato = MATER
Potato = TATER
Mexican = MESSeKIN
Okra = OAKREE

Damn! Now I'm hongry! Jew eat?....No, D'jew?

Nothing = NUTTIN
On = OWN....not AAHN.
This = DIS
Yellow = YELLER
Lamborghini = LAMBERGEENY
Another one = ANUDDEN
Finger = FANGER

And Gray is a color. GREY is someone's last name!
Oh dear.....Now I'm a grammar Nazi. :bang:

And also:
Rebarb, you know the stuff they put in concreke
And put your dirty dishes iin the kitchen zink

My step-father was from Loo-vl (Louisville) Kentucky. My yankee ears could hardly understand a word he said...

Here in S. Ontario, I'm still getting used to hearing:

Mazz-duh vs. Moz-da
Pass-tuh vs. Pahs-ta
Collich vs. College
Prow-cess vs. Prah-cess

As far as rocketry-related, I say

Fillet: Fill-it
Estes: Est-ease
Binder Designs: rhymes with "tinder"
LOC Precision: L-O-C

Huh. A short e is the way I've always pronounced epoxy.

So I just sat here for a couple of minutes at my desk muttering to myself, trying to figure out which I say (long-E or short-E) and
1. I'm glad I'm alone in the house.
2. I think it varies. After some experimentation (and y'know, it's hard to talk naturally while you're trying to figure out how you say something), I think I pronounce it with a long E (like tree-poxy) if I'm saying it without a preceding word, e.g. "Hey. What's that you're dripping on your fiberglass?" "Epoxy". I pronounce it the same way if the previous word ends in a vowel sound, e.g. "Bondo epoxy". But I'll pronounce it [schwa]-poxy, where [schwa] is the "upside-down e" sound, the "uh" sound, if the previous word ends in a consonant sound, e.g. "I'm going to use a lot of epoxy".

And now I'm going to get really self-conscious and start questioning myself the next time I say "epoxy" in public.

and now for an unpronounceable word 'POLISH' :).
Rex
polish = when you buff tarnish/scratches, Polish = for those from Poland

Back