How do you heat your outdoor workspace in winter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewdlaudato

Reaction score
Up until today, I didn't. Used some money I jointly won in an innovation contest at work to buy this:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419973970.581665.jpg

My garage is big (22x22) uninsulated and drafty - this really helps. (I had the tank already from the BBQ grill, good winter use of the propane).

That's cool, or in this case hot!

Is there an open flame, or is it just a heating element?

I use halogen work lamps, but it just helps some. But it's brutal during the Texas summers when I need the light.

Greg

25'x20' workshop; insulated and finished walls with a couple of central heating/air vents in one wall, but in the winter it still gets a bit cold. About 15 minutes of the infrared heater below and I'm good.

719hkVE79QL._SY355_.jpg

24x30 insulated pole building, with a recycled pellet stove fore heat. I can get the shop up to 60ºF and use my air filtration system to blow the warm air away from ceiling. I do have a 10x12 insulated warm room inside the shop for building rockets, reloading,storing preserved/pickled foods and small paint projects.

Last edited:
Up until today, I didn't. Used some money I jointly won in an innovation contest at work to buy this:

View attachment 250211

My garage is big (22x22) uninsulated and drafty - this really helps. (I had the tank already from the BBQ grill, good winter use of the propane).

I bought one of those this past summer, except it is the single burner. Haven't used it yet. I work in an uninsulated 3 1/2 car, 3 walled carport. I plan to hang plastic sheet over the openings while I am using the heater. I am in SE Texas, so it will work a lot better than it would in my dad's garage in PA....

One day the 1/2 part will be closed in and insulated....I hope, maybe

forced air NG furnace , detached garage is insulated and finished + I keep 1 inch Styrofoam over garage door

Its 20* outside tonight working inside 65* in tee shirt :)

I went this way for a moderately insulated 2 car garage

f271350.jpg

I like the forced air effect to heat a larger area faster

Besides how could i go wrong with Mr. Heater?

I went this way for a moderately insulated 2 car garage

f271350.jpg

I like the forced air effect to heat a larger area faster

Besides how could i go wrong with Mr. Heater?
I've looked at these at Home Depot and Lowes.

How well do they work in your experience?

I'm assuming kerosene fueled.

Outside work shops..............Hmmmmm! That almost sounds as bad as having to go upstairs to the converted bedrooms I use here. My point, I hate stairs, about as bad as I would dislike going to an outside shed / workspace. My ideal workspace would be on the same level as the rest of my house, in the same house. But since that isn't the case, I use my daughters old bedroom and mine....(yes, I sleep on the couch). They are the only options I have. Heating them..well that is another issue. I usually don't keep these rooms heated when I'm not using them, so I have those oil filled radiators that work nicely. I do have to plan ahead since it takes a bit for those to warm up the room. But, it works for me.

Keep in mind that any of these open flame heaters will produce carbon monoxide if they're not running properly. I've used both on job sites. The one that's similar to Al's gives me a headache. That's not a good sign. I've had no problem with the radiant one like Matt has. In fact, we've used that type to keep sort of warm at a CMASS launch.

index.php

I've got a single burner 45k btu unit like yours Matt. I've had it for about 17 years or so. When I was in the garage all the time I've used 20-25 gallons of propane over a NorCal winter in an uninsulated garage. Now I have an insulated 3 car, but I'm out there far less since I have 2 kids now.

Keep in mind that any of these open flame heaters will produce carbon monoxide if they're not running properly. I've used both on job sites. The one that's similar to Al's gives me a headache. That's not a good sign. I've had no problem with the radiant one like Matt has. In fact, we've used that type to keep sort of warm at a CMASS launch.

index.php

Heating the Outdoors! :)

I've looked at these at Home Depot and Lowes.

How well do they work in your experience?

I'm assuming kerosene fueled.

That model is Propane fueled, kerosene ones are extremely expensive to operate these days, and finding A1 grade kerosene (if i got correct grade) is getting more and more difficult. In my area you can only by high grade Kero from one of the fuel distributors (expensive) or by the 5 gal can at HD/Lowes (very expensive).

That model is Propane fueled, kerosene ones are extremely expensive to operate these days, and finding A1 grade kerosene (if i got correct grade) is getting more and more difficult. In my area you can only by high grade Kero from one of the fuel distributors (expensive) or by the 5 gal can at HD/Lowes (very expensive).

And diesel fuel is not a good substitute. I tried that many years ago when I couldn't find a place that had kerosene. It will burn but not cleanly.

Yes mine is propane fired.

I put it in the garage with the doors somewhat closed and do not run it while I am in there. I warm the room up and have a fan than ensures that there is a good removal of exhaust gas.

Around here I wait a cold day out until mother nature decides to let the sun shine. We don't get many cold days, so far no heat needed.

9x9 insulated shed (expanding to 14x9 in the spring). I use a oil-filled electric space heater like this one - bought on clearance at Target a few years back along with a programmable thermostat It works remarkably well in the Buffalo NY area...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas pipe run from house to external garage (6 feet?) with a gas heater with a top blower. 24' x 24' insulated garage. Still takes a few hours to heat up. Mostly work in my basement.

Heat? I wish.
Tell me about it John...:rolleyes: NE Ohio can get very cold in the winter, and I've tried some of the portable options shown in this thread, but they just don't work very well. I'm considering installing a 5000W electric forced air heater in a 20x24 insulated garage. I would run it only on demand.
-Wolf

I use gas, but I think hydronic would be the best option since there is no chance of it starting a fire.

If you can't heat your whole shop, consider a small electric heater with a fan on low blowing warm air over the parts to help epoxy cure faster.

Unlimited supply of scrap wood from 2013 ice storm which I burn in homemade wood stove. It vents through metal roof. All in all, I prefer to stay inside and watch The View.

IMG_0690.jpg

Manual on mine says it runs at 98% combustion efficiency but still produces small amounts of CO. My garage is drafty enough that this so far doesn't seem to be an issue.

If you can't heat your whole shop, consider a small electric heater with a fan on low blowing warm air over the parts to help epoxy cure faster.
Feeling for you Matt!
When I lived in MA, that's exactly what I did in my backyard shed. Nothing like warming your hands while epoxy cures. It only took one winter before I converted the basement (where the big fuel oil heater lives) into a shop. When I bought my new house in TX, I made sure to get one with an indoor workshop--more for the AC than the heat, though.

Manual on mine says it runs at 98% combustion efficiency but still produces small amounts of CO. My garage is drafty enough that this so far doesn't seem to be an issue.

It's probably not an issue but I'd invest in a CO detector.

Back