High-Flier XL!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backwards fin Hi-Flyer XL in Rusto 2X Key Lime coming along nicely.

I will admit that I felt some flexing on the fins while sanding, but at least I think it looks cool.

View attachment 595097

I know it's already painted but you might want to consider sanding the paint off the fins and papering them with card stock. Due to the direction of the grain you are going to be dealing with broken fins and possibly having the fins shred off the tube if you fly anything hotter than a D motor.

I do like that color. Should be easy to track in the sky. In the grass, maybe not so much :)

Thanks. I use D12-5 motors for these things.

As I previously mentioned the grain on the fins run pretty much parallel to the body tube no matter which way they're mounted, so I'm not going to get too worried about it.

We shall see how it goes.

If it flies it flies and if it breaks it breaks.

For me, it's more about having something to do with my time. Our club only launches once a month and I get to build every day.

I've seen more than one with fins like that at our local launches. It bothers me a little bit but I can't say I've seen any of them break. I've seen people put the fins on opposite on a Red Nova and I've seen those break off.

Thanks. I use D12-5 motors for these things.

As I previously mentioned the grain on the fins run pretty much parallel to the body tube no matter which way they're mounted, so I'm not going to get too worried about it.

We shall see how it goes.
I'm still waiting to get mine up!! I wanted too last weekend with SPAAR in PA, but didnt get to it. Im building one more, in 29mm and possibly shorter body tube with nosecone mods for and electronics "bay"...But 8/19/23 I have another launch with SPAAR, so hopefully I will get it up then, along with my Big Daddy on a E12-6. But going to join URRG also, in NY. Going up 9/9/23 for the fall picnic. And LDRS is going to be held there next June, 2024! I might get my L1 in Sept(Or attempt too), then have fun with many including Mega Der 38mm next June...So, I'm getting an altimeter(really want a JL 3, but might go with a flightsketch mini if Ican find them!). And then an Eggfinder or EF mini for GPS.

Last edited:
I finally got it up for a madien flight 9/16/23 with SPAAR in Halifax, PA. Way too short of an injection time 5 would have been better but even then didn't have that in C11's. The other yellow HF-XL I have I thought was the same weight must be a little heavier. I even made this one heavy to fly it local so it stayed lower but never did. But, it flew. I'm going to add 3D printed 1010 guides to it, might add another lug on top of the other too. But I'm also thinking about upgrading to 1/4 dual lugs too...

Latest posts

Back