High-Flier XL!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Man almost done with this build, feel alseep when doing the epoxy so I had to sand the heck out of it, and paint then repeat. Its looks ok, picked colors close to sharpies so its easy to touch up. Can't wait to launch this over the week! Videos will follow on that! And stickers will follow as soon as the mail brings them to me!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1686840210776.jpg
    FB_IMG_1686840210776.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230619_163824.jpg
    20230619_163824.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_010240.jpg
    20230620_010240.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230613_123714.jpg
    20230613_123714.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_010240.jpg
    20230620_010240.jpg
Got it done after a headache of sanding and painting. Put the stickers on last night from Stickershock23. Looks good, but rain all weekend..

Attachments

• 20230623_013811.jpg
    20230623_013811.jpg
  • 20230623_132938.jpg
    20230623_132938.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
Very nice.

If I ever build another one, I'm going to put the fins on backwards.. to me, they look better that way.

Very nice.

If I ever build another one, I'm going to put the fins on backwards.. to me, they look better that way.
I've seen them done that way, it's a different look. However if I understand what you are saying the grain will be going the wrong direction so at least paper the fins. When the small version is scaled up to the XL version, the fins end up larger than they need to be so you could easily redesign the rocket and cut the fins down a little bit to make a different design. I have an XL built stock, then I bought another one and used the parts in the kit, nothing extra, to make a clone of the Aerobee Hi.

Very true.. but as I was building it I thought it would look a lot better with the fins turned around, so I have to try that first.

I mean, you can never have too many rockets, right?

Yes thank you I appreciate it! I have been flying most of my D/E rockets right now on 18mm stuff. It really is working out pretty well, then I have that D, E, or 29mm option for some!!
I'm currently building a Hi-Flier XL with a 29mm motor mount. I extended the overall length with a payload section for my DIY flight computers. The heavier 29mm motors require about 25 g of nose weight for stability. For maximum altitude with a G80 the nose weight required is about 120 g, so I fly my flight computers in place of dead weight. Has anyone used a piston ejection system with the XL?

I'm currently building a Hi-Flier XL with a 29mm motor mount. I extended the overall length with a payload section for my DIY flight computers. The heavier 29mm motors require about 25 g of nose weight for stability. For maximum altitude with a G80 the nose weight required is about 120 g, so I fly my flight computers in place of dead weight. Has anyone used a piston ejection system with the XL?

That's because the Hi-Flier fin design sucks. It puts too much fin area too far forward. Hack them down into 4/3 scale or so Little John fins and you get improved stability with improved performance. And it looks pretty good, too.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...hot-wash-lessons-learned.180435/#post-2446287

Did you post a YouTube video July 8th with a High-Flier and one was a type of Patriot, and another red one...maybe its not you I just found this video where the guy has all kinds of awesome stuff for his smaller rockets its really interesting..

Not that the fins are poorly designed, I added 3X the mass to the base of the vehicle with up to 8X the total-impulse propelling the vehicle. The high speed flight computer data from flying the vehicle with different motors like an E16-6, F15-6, G40-10, and G80-10 allows me to accurately calculate the Cd of the Hi-Flier fin design to compare with other fin designs that I have data on. The fin cross sectional shape and surface finish are more critical to performance than overall fin shape.
Did you post a YouTube video July 8th with a High-Flier and one was a type of Patriot, and another red one...maybe its not you I just found this video where the guy has all kinds of awesome stuff for his smaller rockets its really interesting..
Not me, I'm still building my Hi-Flier and I've not built a Patriot.

Maiden flight today on a D12-5.. cut a spill hole in the stock parachute, and everything went just fine.

Got a lot of compliments on the paint job even though it basically looks like the package except it's orange instead of red but I'll take it.

Not that the fins are poorly designed, I added 3X the mass to the base of the vehicle with up to 8X the total-impulse propelling the vehicle. The high speed flight computer data from flying the vehicle with different motors like an E16-6, F15-6, G40-10, and G80-10 allows me to accurately calculate the Cd of the Hi-Flier fin design to compare with other fin designs that I have data on. The fin cross sectional shape and surface finish are more critical to performance than overall fin shape.

Not me, I'm still building my Hi-Flier and I've not built a Patriot.
Ok, this guy did some things with the High-Flier XL that are very interesting. The link is below if you have the time its pretty cool!!

Hey!

Did these rockets ever see flight? You did a good job with them, I’d hate to see them just sit…
Me or the other guys that posted too? It's been so hard here and I try to have a few ready for a flight day. I want to have one soon but if I don't July 29th I'm going to a club launch so I will have plenty of flights then. If I get to send the High-Flier up, it will be on ny YouTube channel I just use for rocketry. Here's a link to one of my videos.

I did that, and I also cut holes in the fins to create more drag and then I added spin tabs at the bottom of the fins to induce spin and even more drag. I took the name "High Flyer XL" as a personal challenge and then cut the word High from the decals, so it became "Flyer XL". I then named the rocket "Slow Low Moe" -- to be fair, it still flies pretty high if you put a big enough motor into one.

Well, I said that if I ever got another one I'd put the fins on backwards...

You inspired me to do some sim work. Grabbed an .ork from RocketReviews, after checking @K'Tesh's index and finding no Hi-Flier XL there. No idea if this file is accurate enough to rely on for flight, but I'm just comparing changes, so it doesn't really matter. I changed the finish on the fins to smooth paint and rounded edges. Note the stability of the stock model with an E12-6 is barely within the 8-15% range.

Hi-Flier XL fins (ork file of unk origin) - sim.png

Rather than just gluing the fins on the wrong side, I set it up so the correct side of the fin was glued to the BT, but cut the rear of the fin as if another fin, arranged as you have it, was used as a template to cut a new planform TE intersecting the original tip. Stability went from 8.63% to 15.3% and apogee increased from 1199 ft to 1289 ft. Watch the migration of the CG and CP.

Hi-Flier XL fins Alt 1 (ork file of unk origin) - sim.png

I don't really love the shape of that visually, so I trimmed the fins a little differently, to something vaguely Black Brantish, being careful that it could be cut out of the original fin provided in the kit. Stability went to 15.6% and apogee gained another 12 ft.

Hi-Flier XL fins Alt 2 (ork file of unk origin) - sim.png

Just in case someone objects to the fins hanging off the back of the airframe not being as robust for landings on hard ground, I pulled out my go-to of offset trapezoidal fins, the Little John. Scaled them to the BT-60 diameter, then 133 percent of that because 3 fins instead of 4. CP location is similar to stock, but the CG is forward due to the smaller mass of fins at the back. This sim doesn't appear to have paint in it, so a painted model would show an even greater effect. Stability was only 10.4%, still significantly better than the stock Hi-Flier XL design, but apogee gained another 75 ft.

Hi-Flier XL fins Alt 3 LJ (ork file of unk origin) - sim.png

Just for S&G, I made the body tube a single tube 380mm long, eliminating the coupler, and shifted the fins forward a few mm to more resemble the real Little John. It only gives up a hair to still have two body tubes and just cut them both to 190mm, or whatever combination you like. Added two pats of Estes nose weight clay (15g) to the tip of the NC. That's similar to the weight of an Eggfinder Mini or other small electronic device that one might put up there. Stability factor increased to 12.3% and apogee gained another 103 ft. Plus, the proportions look a lot better. Obviously, this is now a completely different rocket, but it's flying a heck of a lot higher than the Hi-Flier XL, with the same basic materials. You could totally buy a Hi-Flier kit and build this. You can even go as far as just leaving out one of the stock tubes. It does start to look a little Gobliny and will need some more mass in the nose for stability with an E12 in the tail.

Hi-Flier XL fins Alt 3 LJ 1 tube (ork file of unk origin) - sim.png

So, yeah, the Hi-Flier fins kinda do suck.

@GlenP The grain on these particular fins runs pretty much parallel to the BT no matter which way they're are attached.

I always hit the bottom of the fins with thin CA to harden them up, but will have to try papering them someday.

Backwards fin Hi-Flyer XL in Rusto 2X Key Lime coming along nicely.

I will admit that I felt some flexing on the fins while sanding, but at least I think it looks cool.

IMG_20230731_103339550_HDR-01.jpeg

Back