Hi From WA state

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooklord

Reaction score
I just discovered this great forum. I am sort of a "born again" rocket guy, I built and launched many Estes and Centauri low power rockets as a kid, now I am just finishing an old Aerotech "Arreaux" kit. It is ready for painting. I hope to launch this summer if I can find the right space.
I also still build and launch low power, as well as RC gliders etc.

Anyone who knows of upcoming meetups or launches within a few hundred miles of Seattle, just let me know!

Thanks,
Matthew

Hey Pooklord, welcome. I'm over in Spokane but lived in Seattle for about 10 years. Your closest club is WAC in Seattle. Unfortunately the primary launch site was lost a couple years ago, although models are still flown at 60 acres park. Other options for high power in the area now are Tri Cities, WHIP near Walla Walla and OROC in Oregon.

EDIT - Here's an excellent combined calendar of all available NW launches: https://northwestrocketry.com/?page_id=17

So the next launch for TriCities Rocketeers is July 23rd as long as temps are under 95°F and winds are cooperating. Labor Day Weekend we will host Sod Blaster 4 days of flying Friday-Monday weather unless its wind is not usually a problem. We fly LPR, MPR, and HPR and are not impulse restricted, just max altitude of 9000'. www.tricities.org

Other clubs are Washington Aerospace Club (WAC), Oregon Rocektry (OROC), Gorge Rocketry and Washington High Power Rocketry aka WHiP.

There's a bunch of good info here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/gday-from-seattle.173646/

Boeing Employees Model Rocket Club (open to anyone, not just Boeing employees) is probably your next best shot for a group LPR launch. I think they're launching about monthly and are limited to low power. Once fall rolls around and soccer kids are off the fields, you can launch any time at 60 Acres Park in Redmond. Washington Aerospace Club will have some organized launches there in the new year. High power is all east of the mountains now, with TCR and Gorge Rocketry. I think Gorge may be shut down until the rains come because of fire danger.

So the next launch for TriCities Rocketeers is July 23rd as long as temps are under 95°F and winds are cooperating. Labor Day Weekend we will host Sod Blaster 4 days of flying Friday-Monday weather unless its wind is not usually a problem. We fly LPR, MPR, and HPR and are not impulse restricted, just max altitude of 9000'. www.tricities.org

Other clubs are Washington Aerospace Club (WAC), Oregon Rocketry (OROC), Gorge Rocketry and Washington High Power Rocketry aka WHiP.
Thanks for the tri cities link, I had not heard of that group.

Thanks for the tri cities link, I had not heard of that group.
We fly weather permitting from March to November usually, and only rarely do we have to restrict sparkies since our field is a sod farm the sod circles are known as a "barefoot recovery area".

Welcome from North Central Wa! (The Dry-Side!)

The Tri-Cities group out in Pasco is probably your best bet. (Especially if your flying the Arreux..... been there, flown that....it likes to fly so Pasco is a GREAT area for that type of stuff!)

I am in Wenatchee area by the way, and as I understand it there once was a flying area just NW of here but no more. Don't know details. (but I would not be opposed to trying/helping to get that going again)

Going south there is OROC, (Portland area...a couple hundred miles distance-wise but of course nooooottt Traffic-wise!) however their MP/HP site is wayyy out in Eastern Oregon and that is a hike to be sure! (A very worthwhile trip, one, but still its a lonnng way!.... and don't paint your rocket 'Sage' colored!)

There is also a group down near the Colombia Gorge, that holds MPR/HPR near Goldendale, (No easy way from Seattles... I-5 to 14 to 97? but pretty!) however they don't seem to hold those very often. (Never made it to one of thier launches, but i'd like to)

There are a couple of groups in the Seattle / King County, but I am not sure they are very big fields.... 60 acres in Redmond - when its not infested with Youth Soccer events (My kid being one of the infesters :)) is big, but not sure I'd want to fly an Arreux there, (of course I put H's in mine.... :cool: So it get up there!)

SPARC is Spokane,

In summation, SPARC, OROC, TriCities are all great bunch of folks, - and the *big* flying areas are for the most part over on this side

Anyway, again Welcome!

The field you are referring to near Wenatchee was at the Mansfield Sportsmans club (Mansfield, WA) and was the home of Fire in Sky aka FITS hosted by WAC. The field was lost a couple of years ago due to some issues with the sportsmans club leadership or membership, needless to say its gone. I know WAC leadership is looking to find a replacement field (has been ever since the loss of the Mansfield location).

Thanks for remembering SPARC they fly with us at TCR frequently, but iirc they just lost their field as well due to a change in landowner. Though they may have a smaller field for other launches, not sure of their situation at the moment.

Back