Hi from Quebec city

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martynouze

Reaction score
Hi All,

As a kid, I build my 1st model rocket from a science kit bought at Radio-Shack (anyone aware of that kit?). Back then, I was broke (and cheap), without a mentor, so my results were mitigated...

Later as an adult, I build a couple RC planes from kits. Adults toys are expensive, but now I got money! After flying my trainer for the 1st time, I discovered I wasn't much of a flyer: more of a builder.

Fast forward a couple of years and I returned to low power rockets, build a couple each summer and flew them in a sand pit, which quickly became an event to all extended family: aunts, uncles, cousins and their kids all watched with attention.

Having regained lots of interest in the hobby, I joined my local HPR club + CAR, getting my L1 certification.

As en EE, my primal interest is in flight avionics: my goal is to run my own flight computer code in HW I put together myself. I've been coding embedded FW on MCU for over 20 years. Of course, such a hobby forces you to develop side skills and understanding in other domains, like propulsion, aerodynamics and materials to only name those.

I joined this group to help me with all of these areas where I lack knowledge and experience. I'm looking forward to benefit from the experience of many people sharing this great hobby, and maybe share my own tricks if possible.

Salut Marty, je suis a Montreal. Je vole avec mes amis at Vermont: CRMRC. On a que'elle gents de Montreal puis aussi des regions du Quebec sud.

beinvenue!

Welcome Marty. Quebec city is nice.

If you are looking at writing your own code for the flight electronics have a look at any open-source code to help you learn from other people's mistakes. There are many gotcha's that have been found the hard way. www.altusmetrum.com will get you to an open-source commercial altimeter system.

Enjoy!

Thx @OverTheTop ! This is definitely a great starting point. I feel like there are tons of caveats to coding a flight computer. And some must be costing more than others...

Like I read or heard somewhere: "when launching rockets, there are 1000s of scenarios, but only one is good."

(Musk's bio? elsewhere? I don't recall)

Cheers,

Salut Marty, je suis a Montreal. Je vole avec mes amis at Vermont: CRMRC. On a que'elle gents de Montreal puis aussi des regions du Quebec sud.

beinvenue!

Nice! I didn't know there was a club so close on the south of the border, though I didn't think of checking. You hear a lot about New Mexico and such states where those Big Cups event are held. I'll definitely have a look at it.

There's no clubs in Ontario, so that leaves a big gap between here and the prairies. Any people from the CQF amongst your friends?

How does it work for the motors? You get them delivered at the launch events?

Also any recommendation on the association to join (Tripoli? NAR?). I believe CAR/ACF is recognized in the US, but it doesn't hurt to support the organizations.

Back