Hello from Ohio

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b0g_nerd

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm getting back into the rocketry hobby. I used to enjoy it as a kid, and now that my kids are old enough to understand the basics and safety issues, I'm introducing them to rockets. That said, I still very much fall into the "beginner" category and have only ever built rockets from kits. However, I'd like to change that and try scratch building. I'm currently working on a 3D printing design for a rocket. We'll see how it goes

Welcome to the forum. As a BAR (born again rocketeer) with kids myself, it's a fun time.

What city are you near? There are quite a few clubs in OH, and nearby states, which are active and are good places to show the kids what the hobby is all about. (And you get to watch a lot of flights, without buying all the "stuff" yourself.)

Welcome to the forum. As a BAR (born again rocketeer) with kids myself, it's a fun time.

What city are you near? There are quite a few clubs in OH, and nearby states, which are active and are good places to show the kids what the hobby is all about. (And you get to watch a lot of flights, without buying all the "stuff" yourself.)
The closest major city is Cleveland but I'm about in the middle between Amherst/Oberlin/Vermilion

There are 2 clubs that have joint launches on a farm outside Amherst. One is part of Tripoli Rocket Association, the other is part of National Association of Rocketry.

Flight rules are Tripoli, so if you get into high power and get L2 you can fly research motors. Altitude limit is just over 4,000ft and max motor is "L".

https://www.skybusters.org/

https://www.rimworld.com/notra/

I am an officer of Skybusters, we fly in S. Amhurst. We partner with the Tripoli club at all our launches. We have not set a schedule yet but on our website you can sign-up for launch notification via email. We usually start in late April or early May depending on when the landowner says things are dry enough. All are welcome to come and watch or fly with us.

Come and check out Tripoli Mid-Ohio #31 (TMO). We are located near south Charleston and have a GREAT launch site with a 15K AGL waiver. TMO sees a lot of flyers from northern Ohio so come on down and join us! You can find us on FaceBook where launch dates are posted.

I am an officer of Skybusters, we fly in S. Amhurst. We partner with the Tripoli club at all our launches. We have not set a schedule yet but on our website you can sign-up for launch notification via email. We usually start in late April or early May depending on when the landowner says things are dry enough. All are welcome to come and watch or fly with us.
I'm actually the one that emailed you yesterday about joining! I'm looking forward to coming to a launch.

Hi! You're going to find a lot of changes if you haven't done rocketry for over a decade.

If you haven't already seen it or heard about it, OpenRocket is great fun and is absolutely free! Build a virtual rocket, insert a virtual motor, see how high it'll go, best delay time, top speed, speed off the rod/rail, etc. If you're building a kit you'll probably be able to find a file for it, there are files for hundreds of kits and even more for scratchbuilts.

The other biggie: It took eleven years, six figures before the decimal, and an appeal, but the GoodGuys won over the StinkyFaces. A few dozen pages of science- and evidence-based affidavits, plus a video (I think), prevailed over literally thousands of pages of blather and bluster in the court battle over APCP. Judge Walton (HERO!) ruled that BATFE had not demonstrated its claim that APCP was an exp***ive; had not been able to do so despite using their own criteria... So federal permits, storage units, inspections, limitations on amounts, etc., etc. are no longer needed to purchase and store APCP rocket motors.

And a few other random items:
  • Railbuttons for every rocket size; launch rails are far superior to rods IMHO.
  • Chute releases (JLCR) lets you do dual-deploy recovery in single-deploy rockets; some do not need ematches or BP charges.
  • Q-Jet composite motors are the same size as Estes (18x70mm) but in A thru D impulse; there are also 24mm Q-Jets in E and F impulse.
  • Estes has BP motors in 29mm size; full E and baby F.
  • Almost all APCP motors of G-impulse and lower can be shipped without hazmat fees! (very recent)
  • Altimeters, flight computers, GPS transmitters and receivers, and kits for same. Eggtimer Quark kit will fit a BT50 (even a BT20 with minor modifications), does dual deploy, beeps out the altitude, all for under $25. Rocketeers are finding it practical to have an altimeter for every rocket. (Cris at Eggtimer just brought out a dual-deploy rocket kit that includes an altimeter designed for the rocket! Easy to build!)
  • Mach1 rocketry has fiberglass tubing in the same sizes as Estes body tubes if you want to build a hard-to-destroy rocket. (I am a master at turning balsa&paper rockets back into kits, sorta ;))
  • In addition to regular single-use motors and reload kits, Aerotech has "Disposable Motors" with adjustable delays.
  • Delays can be adjusted in most reload kits, too. Buy an H220-14 reload, drill the element to get any delay from about 4-13 seconds.
  • All sorts of propellants to choose from; newer ones include Black Max, Warp9, Super Thunder, Propellant X, Metalstorm, Dark Matter....you got your black smoke, white smoke, blue or red flame w/o smoke, green flame with smoke, sparks, high impulse.... Warp9 burns so fast that you'll think the motor CATOed! Several more traditional propellants to choose from.
  • Lots of model, mid-power, and high-power kits from multiple vendors.
  • Wireless remote systems for launching anywhere from one to 64 rockets.
  • Research rocketry is here: Tripoli L2's may make and fly their own APCP (or "sugar") motors at TRA launches.
I'm pretty sure I've missed a few dozen important items and a hundred less-critical ones. Have fun!

PS: Getting your kids interested in rocketry: +1000!

Back