HI Everyone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My name is Kenneth Hundt, Go by Ken. But anyways I am kind of new to rockets. Getting back into rockets at 64 years young. Back in the 70"s was my time for flying Model rockets. So now I want to build some bigger rockets. Like a 3" or 4" s for cert. 1 I was thinking maybe Zeypher

Hi everyone, new here and just getting started in the big rockets. When I was a kid I flew a lot of estes rockets and now I want to get into the big ones and thought about the Zephyr since it is not to high priced.What do you guys think ?. I like the bigger rockets, a lot easier to see. I am a welder fabricator and am going to make make my own launch system in stead of paying almost $600.00 for one .

The Zephyr is a generally well-respected choice. Light enough to fly on G motors but rugged enough to go for L1 if you have the field and waiver for it. Build strong and ask for help if you have questions. If you’re asking here, remember that we love pictures!

Happy flying, sir. 🙂

FWIW my mentor was a welder/machinist by trade who got his GED about ten years back. And over the last 30 years he's made some of the best motors anyone's ever seen. Welcome!

Welcome aboard
I agree the zephyr is a solid L1 rocket. Apogee components has some nice YouTube instructional videos for this rocket that will give some good tips.
ask questions… take your time building and research some appropriate motor choices for the field you want to get your cert on. Find something with enough punch off the pad but not to extreme for altitude.. keep it comfortable for your cert flight. My opinion of course
Good luck

I am from Indiana and we do have a couple rocket clubs that are about 50 miles from me which isn't to bad and they do fly high power rockets.
That’s not too bad. My nearest high-power site is about 140 miles away. I don’t even fly high-power there, I just go there to take advantage of higher LPR ceilings than I’d get otherwise.

Welcome, Ken. New introductions should include your location. You may save yourself some time and money from building your own launch equipment if you are near a club or section. Checkout the section locator at nar.org.
I am in North Texas and fly with DARS.

Chas

Welcome, Ken. New introductions should include your location. You may save yourself some time and money from building your own launch equipment if you are near a club or section. Checkout the section locator at nar.org.
I am in North Texas and fly with DARS.

Chas
I have my own welder at home so all I need is to get scrap parts from work and I am set. Already got the legs for the launcher.

Back