HERC 6/19 Tampa Launch (pictures)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by lets fly high
I have some good news I just got back from the 579 launch feild and retreived mike hoy's amazon rocket from the tree. And on the way out I thought I'd try to find jason's rear section to his richter recker I was'nt on the feild no more than a minute and drove right to it. Igeuss it turn to be good after all

Joe, you rock man.

You guys better take good care of him. Not many people will go out like that to recover some rockets. I think he has a stronger attachment to rockets than most of us think.

Awesome pics Russ. Let me know if you need server space. I can upload them to the HERC website. Speaking of, I think I will go forward with designing a HERC page. I think we'll be meeting for months to come. I also think it would be good to post pics and reports on our own space for others to enjoy.

I can't wait 'til next month. Thanks guys.

Pat, you missed a good June launch! Ah well. It was VERY hot out there.

Also, as a heads up before next month rolls around, the owner/operator of the field was adamant about us NOT driving anywhere on the open field. Let's respect that so that maybe we can continue to use the field.

Sounds like you had a great time, My son was at vacation bible school down in ft. myers so I went down for his program over the weekend. It was well worth it.

Hope to see you next month. Any other news from the field owner?

Take Care,
Ray

Originally posted by firemanup
Great stories and pics guys.....

Thanks. Maybe you should come down and fly some rockets with us sometime. :)

Originally posted by eugenefl
Later in the day Jason flew his Richter Recker. Unfortunately today would be the last time he'd ever see it. Jason made the mistake of firing off one rocket, then loading another, and firing it off. Believe it or not, the RR was lost in the tall grassy field. We searched 3 deep and covered a large portion of the hay field in the area we had suspected it landed and found no sign of the long FlisKits monster. Sorry bro... :(

For its last flight, Jason loaded it up with 3 D12s. RIP RR. Attached is an ignition shot.

Jason, you've logged a *first*!!! The "Richter Recker" has been flying since about 1978 and YOU are the FIRST person to ever loose one...

i mean, HOW do you loose a 7.5 foot model rocket!??! LOL

Glad to see it was found! sheesh! :)

Originally posted by jflis
Jason, you've logged a *first*!!! The "Richter Recker" has been flying since about 1978 and YOU are the FIRST person to ever loose one...

i mean, HOW do you loose a 7.5 foot model rocket!??! LOL

Glad to see it was found! sheesh! :)

...in an open grassy field at that! Tell you what Jim - I feel equally as silly since I was on the search party that was unable to find it. Hmm...1978...that's the year I was born!

Zippy,

Here a frame of The Custum H Amazon video.

Can't see tons, blinding flame blocking the rocket.

Yeah, very over exposed except for the underside of the blast deflector. If you want to risk your camera getting roasted I think it could be attached to the top of the rail looking down. Probably not practical though since it would be a bit of a bucket brigade starting the cam, erecting the rail and then running away and launching. Just a thought.

Nice pics and report guys.:)

Someday, you guys oughtta come down here to Southwest Florida and join us for a fun day of flying.

Jason, as for losing your Richter Recker but I'm glad that you got well at least half of it back. I dang near lost the bottom section of mine on the first flight but I finally stumbled across it. Good thing too because it ended up raining later.

Hope you get the upper section back eventually.:)

Originally posted by Zippy
If you want to risk your camera getting roasted I think it could be attached to the top of the rail looking down. Probably not practical though since it would be a bit of a bucket brigade starting the cam, erecting the rail and then running away and launching. Just a thought.

I have wanted to do this above the rail or rod view before and have a system I want to try.

My plan is to put the bottom half of one of those umbrealla sections into the ground close to the rod or rail.

Then fasten the camera to the top of a telescoping paint/light bulb changing poles.

When it's time I can press the button on the camera, stick the paint pole with camera into the bottom half the umbrella pole where the top half of the umbreall would normally go and then telescope it up to the correct height fairly quickly.

Only thing is that it's easier for me to gauge the actual recording angle of the camera from underneath than it would be above since I can't preview what's in the lense's view on this basic camera.

But hey it's worth a try for an interesting angle. I just need a quick way to detach the camera from the paint pole because I will always be wanting to switch between above and beneth angles. Right now I just attatch the camera with tape to the pole.

Back