Belated birthday launchaton!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStarStar

Reaction score
This summer had been pretty much a rocketry dud for me -- my work schedule has been totally revamped so I am never free on Saturdays or pretty much any other day my local section has been launching, plus I've had a lot of stuff going on cutting my free time down to nothing, so I haven't actually gotten out to launch anything (well twce in my local park for about 10 minutes, but that was about it).

But my siblings were looking for a way to throw me a 3-week belated birthday party, so we decided on a Sunday afternoon meeting at the launch site about halfway between their house in Lansing and my house in Metro Detroit.

My brother, a semi-BAR in his own right, rounded up his own half-dozen rockets, helped my nephew, 12, round up his box of 3-4 birds, then the rest of the "clan" (4 adults, 5 kids [ages 2, 5, 5, and 10] and a dog) hopped in a couple of SUVs and we all converged on Lyon Township.

I was worried on a beautiful 80-degree day we might be elbowed out by picnickers, but no problem -- there were like two people in the whole park. Happily for the younger crew the adjacent porta-potty was unlocked, in working operation and even decently clean.

So I pulled up to the picnic pavilion, packed out all my gear and set things up just as the crew arrived.

To get things off and running I decided to send up a Snitch on a B4-2 for the kiddies. Good idea, bad execution. The motor fired up through the nose (yeah, I was launching it right side up) and the whole thing came crashing down after flipping about 30 feet off the pad. Some minor dinging and dents but probably re-flyable at some point. But probably the only real failure of the day.

By this time my brother had his stuff set up too and we got a pretty good assembly line going. We launched for about four hours straight, I would say about one launch every five minutes (with some recovery time in between). I collected motor casings and we got at least 30 launches off for the afternoon.

Among the highlights:

-- A semi-successful (low but otherwise OK) launch of my Edmonds Twinsee. I had launched it before and it separated during power boost. This time it climbed, did a wide half-loop after thrust cutoff, then popped cleanly into twin gliders before coasting in. Cracked the nose of the "top" glider on landing, but it's gluable.
-- 2 good flights by my nephew's Estes RTF model (forget its name)
-- Half-a-dozen launches for my brother's Estes Wizard, an original model dating from about 1980.
-- A rough but survivable flight by my "Boosta-Bertha" (a first stage bashed out of a Baby Bertha and a slightly-modified Big Bertha second stage) on a B14-0/C6-7 combination. The "Boosta" stage, with a thick stage coupler up front, seems a bit nose-heavy and came in semi-ballistic, and the Bertha didn't completely eject the nose, but even though it nosed in the only damage was a slight dent in the BT. A little straightening and maybe some CYA on inside and we should be good.
-- 4-5 launches by the RTF Estes LoadStar I got as a "stocking stuffer." I let the less-rocketry-experienced in the group adopt that as their personal project. My 5-year-old twin nieces, who had never seen a launch before, learned how to pack wadding and parachutes. (They get the IDEA of igniters but not quite the actual execution just yet.)
-- A nice textbook flight from my Flat Cat on an A6-4. Two wide lazy circles, probably 30 seconds.
-- Double flights by the Baby Bertha/Big Bertha team, then the Mini-Max/Red Max dynamic duo (we call the Red Maxes, along with the Red Baron, the "Axis Air Force").
-- A sky-scraping shot with my "Spartan Special" (actually a Quest Falcon with a green-and-white Michigan State paint job) on a C6-5. The recovery crew got a good quarter-mile hike out of that one.
-- A decent flight with my Squirrel Works Red Baron. Popped the nose cone off at ejection (lost) and it came down in a funny fluttering motion, but the biplane glider itself landed in one piece and should be easily repairable.
-- Big flights by my Fat Boy on a D12-3 and my brother's Der V-3 on a C11-3.
-- A pretty awesome ride by my old Estes Maniac on an E9-4. Way out of sight on the boost, but came down within sight of the pad (although still over a hill and giving the recovery crew another good 10-minute run).
-- Show-stopper by my Deltie Airshow on an A8-3. Straight-up boost, smooth noseover, then all three Delties scatter into loops at ejection. A little low (I know Rob recommends B's) but I didn't want to risk loss if the winds kicked up.

Finally my brother-in-law fired up the grill and got burgers and brats going. We geared back the launch schedule but still managed to get a few more launches off. By the time it got 6-ish and the sun started to sink, everybody was ready for home.

I may have "paid it forward" for the next generation -- one of my 5-year-old twin nieces got "the bug" and served as DLO (designated launch officer) for probably 15 launches. I see a job as NARAM RSO in her future.

She got the routine: "We have continuity light," and then the 5-second countdown. And she even caught it when Uncle JSS intentionally left one of the clips unattached: "We have a hold, no continuity light!" Her twin also launched a half-dozen or so flights as did their older sister and brother. (We haven't put my 2-year-old niece on the launch button quite yet.)

After a yummy dinner and my birthday cake, we packed the whole place up (miraculously all trashbags were fully operational). A couple weeks after my actual birthday, but a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a great time. Any photos/videos?

I'll have to see if any of the crew has any usable pics/vids.

My own video flip-cam has a broken power button so it was out of commission, but I think my sis and her hubby took a couple cellphone snaps that might be usable.

We really didn't have much time for photo taking because we had the launch-prep assembly line rolling at such a high speed. :D

Plus my brother and I, the "rocket boys" on the scene, were conducting an ongoing clinic for all the kids explaining what each rocket was going to do, how high it was going to fly, etc etc. etc. :wink:

It sounds like a great birthday good for you:)
Cheers
fred

Back