help with lunch lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other comment: I agree wholeheartedly about not wanting launch lug(s) to be a prominent aesthetic feature of my rockets. It's that urge that just led me to color the lug on an Alpha III (with the precolored black BT) with a black Sharpie just now. :D That white lug against a black BT was too darn prominent.

I'm going to do a little investigating of kit and plans rockets I have to see where the lug is or lugs are relative to the loaded CG and a bit on OpenRocket to see about the relationship to the CP. The one I have modeled in Open Rocket right now, the BMS School Rocket, clearly has the lug too far forward according to the criterion Will listed just above.

The NAR safety report at https://www.nar.org/pdf/launchsafe.pdf recommends a single lug spanning the CG and CP or a pair of lugs approximating that.
Perhaps I am misreading it, but that report seems to take an extremely cautious stance toward lugs. I mean, recommending that lugs be a minimum of 1/4" in diameter and 6" long? Can you see that on an Alpha or a Wizard? :confused:

MarkII

Perhaps I am misreading it, but that report seems to take an extremely cautious stance toward lugs. I mean, recommending that lugs be a minimum of 1/4" in diameter and 6" long? Can you see that on an Alpha or a Wizard? :confused:

MarkII

Yes, I've heard a lot of opinions about the report recommendations being overkill. I think they got scared, as they probably should be, when they crunched the numbers and found out how many near-misses we've all been having.

As a mater of fact you'd be able to see that from a long ways off... :)

Yes, I've heard a lot of opinions about the report recommendations being overkill. I think they got scared, as they probably should be, when they crunched the numbers and found out how many near-misses we've all been having.

The report is primarily written for and about High Power Rockets, not Model Rockets.

Back