Hello from Chicago, Illinois

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting into rocketry now having only ever built a water rocket and a tiny Estes kit before. I'm going to jump straight into an L1 attempt with Tripoli Wisconsin at their September launch. After posting this I'll start a thread about my L1 project.

:welcome: to the forum. a lot of L1 rockets are very basic, and just a little bit bigger/fatter than a normal LP/MP rocket.. Post up pictures for us.

Welcome. There are a couple of us on here from the area. We fly with the Fox Valley Rocketry club. There is normally a launch at least a couple of times per month up near Cary.

Welcome! TWA/Bong is my home club/field. I think you'll enjoy it!

Insider tip: Bong in the late fall, winter, spring is a lot easier to navigate recoveries than Bong in the summertime (as many found out at LDRS 41 this year)!

Cheers!

I'm getting into rocketry now having only ever built a water rocket and a tiny Estes kit before. I'm going to jump straight into an L1 attempt with Tripoli Wisconsin at their September launch. After posting this I'll start a thread about my L1 project.
Are you planning on Saturday the 23rd or Sunday the 24th?

Welcome, hope to run into you at the TWA launch and good luck with the cert flight!

Hello, welcome and good luck!

I would like to offer a idea for your consideration. You are 100% welcome to do as you please, and I am here to encourage you and wish for your success.

My experience so far is very limited. I have built about 25 low power rockets in my life, I am working on my second midpower rocket right now. I have learned a huge amount of things I didn't know, I didn't know. I am certain I could build a rocket that would pass the ground inspection, and about 90% certain it would pass the flight inspection, and recovery inspection.

For me, my pride is wrapped up in the things I make with my hands and mind. I would be terribly embarrassed if I overlooked something simple, destroyed a expensive rocket, and possibly put others at risk due to a lack of experience.

Again I am not at all telling you what you should do. You are a grown man, and responsible for your own decisions.

I am asking you to honestly evaluate what you know, and if the possibility exists you may lack data or experience to make a wise decision, that could be easily aquired with patience and a plan.

Please understand I wrote my friend Marty on here the other day about keeping the almost overwhelming urge to build a L1 rocket and spend alot of money all at once on several things I want and need to accomplish that goal.

Please accept this in a spirit of kindness and care, and do not think I am chiding or trying to embarrass you.

I want you to succeed and have a blast.

Steve

Wrightme43 makes some very good points. On the other side of that coin...

I did modrocs from around 1965-1973. College, cars, and the softer sex, not in that order, interfered. ;) Started again around 1990. My third rocket after that, my L1, was a 2 or 3" kit with dual 24 mm motors, which I refitted for a 29 mm MMT. Before that my mid-power experience was literally one E15 motor on a 2 or 3" rocket. First L1 attempt (and L2, and L3) was/were successful.

If you are an absolutely-I-understand-what-I'm-doing rocketeer who could likely build a kit with almost no instruction, perhaps you're ready to certify high power. (I have a different skill set from most but am *NOT* brilliant. But rocketry has been my passion for nearly three-fourths of my life.) An L1 or possibly L2 HP rocket isn't all that much different from model rockets, apart from through-the-wall plywood fins and epoxy (not necessarily required) construction. A lot of today's high power flyers didn't have mid-power experience before jumping up.

OTOH if you're not particularly enamored of your modroc skills, some flying with E, F, and G motors is fully warranted. Being conservative in this respect is probably a good thing. Three, four, or nine attempts at certification is less than fun.

And, after what Wrightme43 and prfesser wrote, I'll add a third perspective. I never flew any mid power before I did my L1, but I had done a number of low power rockets and flights*. In that process I learned where (some of) my weaknesses were. For example, people show attaching fins as easy, but mine almost invariably came out at least a little crooked. so I practiced. And then I bought a fin alignment fixture; without that fixture I don't think my L1 would have been successful, and when I started building some lower power rockets I didn't know I needed it. And I could go on.

To repeat what Wrightme43 wrote, you're a grown man capable of making his own decisions, and none of is telling you what to do or not do. Maybe you're an expert model builder who's built and trimmed a hundred gliders and powered aircraft and can jump over to rocketry right at L1 with perfectly justified confidence. What I'm saying is (and I think I speak for the other two gentlemen as well) I advise you to take a moment and consider whether or not a couple of practice birds and flights is a good idea.

* Rocket building and rocket flying are two different skills. That's also something I had to learn the hard way.

Last edited:
Back