Heads on on Q-Jet C12-6 CATOs.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I just had 2 Q-Jet C12-6 CATOs today, both from lot 020719-01, both blew the front cap out, with a plug of unburned propellant (I think) and the front cap ending up at the front of the body tube - naturally both times the parachute didn't quite deploy. I bought them in a 12-engine bulk pack from Bellevue Hobbies last year. I had previously flown 2 other engines from the same lot with no issues. If you've got anything from this lot, beware.

I did file a MESS report on them.

DSC02684.JPG

Aerotech is *very* good about warranty on their motors. I've flown a lot of Q-Jets since 2018, and have had 3 failures, all replaced under warranty. In each case, Karl indicated what corrective action they're taking to address the issue, and 2 of the 3 were process issues that had already been addressed. So yes, please contact them.

Aerotech is replacing the 12-motor bulk pack that I purchased from Bellevue Hobbies, since there was an issue with some motors in that lot. I had expected at best 10 replacements (2 that blew up, 8 unfired), or 2 replacements for the ones that actually blew up. I realize that Aerotech was pretty busy, but they did get it resolved for me. :)

Make sure to submit any and all motor catos or other issues in regards to motors on the motor malfunction web site:https://www.motorcato.org/

Oh I did, you can be sure of that. I ended up flying 9 of the 12 questionable motors, stopped at that point. Had 5 malfunctions, including 2 CATOs, 2 with premature ejection charge firing while the rocket was still boosting, and one that burned a hole in the side of the rocket like the Columbia Space Shuttle disaster. Check this out... but its still flyable (I flew it after I covered up the hole with some tape). :)Hole burned through motor and rocket (C12-6).JPG

Wow. That's crazy indeed. I had one of the Quest B motors burn a hole out the side of one rocket. I have not experienced any issues with their C or D 18mm motors yet.

You could (in a physical sense) "dispose" of the other motors in cato-proof rockets like the Vortico. I could never bring myself around to dumping the motors in a bucket of water. I did finally douse a D20 that chuff twice and Quest replaced. It was very sad. 😥

Back