D12-X Ejection Ceramic Cap problem and solution

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
D12-3's Near Non-Ejection Events Prevented!!! This is the top end where I learned the hard way about D12's sometimes have not-enough Ejection charge and too thick of a ceramic cap. After a "lawn dart" event with a fully intact ceramic cap 2(?) years ago, I started cutting an "X" into the top of the ceramic to where I "just see" some BP, then stick masking tape over the ceramic and onto the inner wall of the casing and trimming off with an X-Acto knife. Since then, D12's have worked like a charm, most of the time the ceramic completely blew out like it should upon ejection, but some of the time like recently, the ceramic was Not fully blown out but at least enough of the Ejection charge went through to push out the parachute and nose cone. Both motors from the same pack (and manufacture date code) had the same behavior recently. If I had not done this, I think another lawn dart and ruined rocket would very likely have happened again. In the past, I have X-Ray'd D12's and what I found was if there is less BP ejection charge, there will certainly be a thicker layer of ceramic on top which is a double whammy leading to non-ejection events. I have a theory that the motor-making-machine (Mable?) has a fill-sensor that stops filling ceramic in at a specific level which means less BP ejection charge leads to more ceramic being filled in until the fill sensor says "stop". Someone here will likely say "that's not safe", but after a LOT of fully successful launches and ejections, that is Way safer than a lawn dart coming down to someone possibly not seeing the rocket coming down nose first and fast.

Attachments

• 100_0011.JPG
    100_0011.JPG
    393.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0013.JPG
    100_0013.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0014.JPG
    100_0014.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0017.JPG
    100_0017.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 0
D12-3's Near Non-Ejection Events Prevented!!! This is the top end where I learned the hard way about D12's sometimes have not-enough Ejection charge and too thick of a ceramic cap. After a "lawn dart" event with a fully intact ceramic cap 2(?) years ago, I started cutting an "X" into the top of the ceramic to where I "just see" some BP, then stick masking tape over the ceramic and onto the inner wall of the casing and trimming off with an X-Acto knife. Since then, D12's have worked like a charm, most of the time the ceramic completely blew out like it should upon ejection, but some of the time like recently, the ceramic was Not fully blown out but at least enough of the Ejection charge went through to push out the parachute and nose cone. Both motors from the same pack (and manufacture date code) had the same behavior recently. If I had not done this, I think another lawn dart and ruined rocket would very likely have happened again. In the past, I have X-Ray'd D12's and what I found was if there is less BP ejection charge, there will certainly be a thicker layer of ceramic on top which is a double whammy leading to non-ejection events. I have a theory that the motor-making-machine (Mable?) has a fill-sensor that stops filling ceramic in at a specific level which means less BP ejection charge leads to more ceramic being filled in until the fill sensor says "stop". Someone here will likely say "that's not safe", but after a LOT of fully successful launches and ejections, that is Way safer than a lawn dart coming down to someone possibly not seeing the rocket coming down nose first and fast.
Have you filled out the NAR forms online for an engine malfunction / CATO?
Have you notified Estes?...they may compensate you for the motors and or models in the case of a CATO.
It would seem that Estes would also be interested in your x-rays of motors.

Have you filled out the NAR forms online for an engine malfunction / CATO?
Have you notified Estes?...they may compensate you for the motors and or models in the case of a CATO.
It would seem that Estes would also be interested in your x-rays of motors.
Yes to all of the above, I've already been "on it".

Thanks for the advice nonetheless -Paul

Back