Hawks Hobby Super Bandit motor mount question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanJ

Reaction score
I bought a Hawks Hobby Super Bandit at NARCON last year. I've finally gotten around to opening up the kit and sizing it up.

It looks complete, with good components and clear instructions.

The one "problem" is that is only has a 24mm motor mount. The motor mount is built to be switchable, which suggests a way forward to making a 29mm mount.

Unfortunately, Hawks Hobby is out of business. So the possibility of simply ordering a pre-made 29mm mount kit is slim.

Has anyone made a swappable 29mm mount for this model? I thought I'd ask first before reinventing the wheel.

Post a photo of the mount and it's "locks." I know Semroc makes interchangable mounts for 24 and 29mm motors. Perhaps they're the answer.

Plus One on contacting SEMROC. Let's just say they have experience with parts for that kit. I have an unopened one awaiting a time when I get my building grove back. Had always thought that it was for 29mm. Checked the kit and D'oh!

Gee, time to update my SEMROC cart!

Chas

The one complication RE Semroc is that the Super Bandit's body tube is a size that I don't think Semroc has used for a kit.

The OD is given as 2.34". This might be a "Series 225" tube, by Semroc standards. If so, the way forward woudl be to modify centering rings.

AHA! Semroc offers: CR-115-225-3F

This is a centering ring to fit a 29mm mount tube in the Series 225, and "has locks for three fins." I have a question in as to what this means. Hopefully it means slots that would let it fit over the internal tabs of the Bandit's three fins.

If so, I just need to recreate the lock tabs up front.

I'll post my findings.

The main reason I opened the Bandit's bag was to get at the nose cone. I'm going to soak it in Minwax wood hardener and then let it sit for several months on a sunny windowsill, so all of the volatiles are gone.

Sheryl at Semroc confirmed that the centering ring I noted above will fit the Super Bandit's 2.25" ID tube.

Also, that Semroc supplied Hawks Hobby with parts! I suspect I'll only need to create the lock tabs, which will be easy.

I ordered the rings today, along with another $80 in parts!

Are the plans and parts list posted anywhere?

For the motor mount? No, I'm just going to wing it.

The Bandit wouldn't be hard to upscale. Between Semroc and BMS you have many, many cone and body tube combinations to pick from. You can find the plans and patterns on JimZ. Excalibur or someone else can make you decals.

The Hawk Hobby model looks very nice, big and sturdy and well produced. My only complaint is the 24mm motor mount, hence this thread.

I purchased a Hawks Hobby Super Bandit along with the extra 29mm motor mount at NARAM-49.

I built the model and both motor mounts.

Attached are pictures of the model and closeups of both motor mounts.

Hawks Hobby Super bandit with motor mounts.jpg

Hawks Hobby Super Bandit 29mm and 24mm motor mounts.jpg

Hawks Hobby Super Bandit 29mm motor mount top view.jpg

Hawks Hobby Super Bandit 29mm motor mount side view.jpg

Thanks, those photos will help.

Your Bandit came out very nicely.

One thing I'm going to add to the 29mm mount:

An engine hook.

I make these out of metal reinforcing strips from windshield wiper blades. The forward tab gets bent outwards, hooked around the forward centering ring. That might be tricky this time around; I'll have to check to see if the tab would interfere with the locking mechanism.

I got the rings from Semroc, and BONUS!!!!!

They come with the little lock tabs, carved out of the center of the centering ring disc, just like the 24mm mount rings that came with the Super Bandit.

So I'm totally good to go!

Back