Have You Built An Estes Alpha?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have You Built An Estes Alpha?

• Yes

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 23.9%

• Total voters
I lost an Alpha III as a kid, high wind, C6-7. Yup :) Neighbors found it about a mile away the next spring. Somewhere is that plastic fin can and nose cone, but I can't find them. I know I had them as an adult sometime or another, but have gone missing. I should get one again, just because it's so brutal simple.

I keep an Alpha in my quiver for nostalgic reasons.

I scratch build bt50 sized rockets now, with Estes parts. Unless one kit really catches my eye. Usually full length tubes, streamers. $5 rockets at best. The most expensive component is primer and paint.

Last edited:
It was my first kit, and I believe the only one I built with my grandpa (I built the rest either with my dad or by myself). It only got a handful of flights before the motor hook got pushed up farther into the body tube and I retired it from flight ops. I still have it somewhere, I think.

More recently I built, flew, and destroyed not one but two Estes Phantom kits, which is basically an Alpha III made from clear plastic to use as a teaching tool. The clear nose from the second one is my go-to BT-50-sized nose for night flying, with a blinky shoved in it.

Alpha was my second kit; Streak was my first. The first Estes starter kit came with the Scout, then they changed to the WAC Corporal, then to the Alpha, and they stayed with the Alpha for a good while. So yes, I expect the Alpha is the best seller for that reason.

Literally built more than a 100 of them. Mostly Alpha III's

Done scout builds, school builds, etc. etc. I'd say that it is by far the most common rocket out there.

Oddly enough I built my first Alpha just a couple years ago - an anniversary Alpha III - and I built my first regular Alpha just last year shortly after my 60th birthday 😆

It was one of the first 3 rockets built in my new rocket shop after our move to the current house - the first 3 were the Alpha, a Semroc/Centuri Vector V and a $3 mini Ho Jo.

After 55 years, I just built my first Alpha (and Big Bertha). :headspinning:
I still haven’t built a standard BB - done a Quest Big Betty, an Estes Super BB and a Discount Rocketry Big Bullet but until the Boosted Bertha on the pile gets built no regular BB (and the Boosted Bertha only mostly counts since it’s slightly different than a BB).

I still haven’t built a standard BB - done a Quest Big Betty, an Estes Super BB and a Discount Rocketry Big Bullet but until the Boosted Bertha on the pile gets built no regular BB (and the Boosted Bertha only mostly counts since it’s slightly different than a BB).
Big Bertha is the rocket for me. Built my first almost 50 years ago, and my second, just recently. Have never built the Alpha/Alpha III.

I currently have six Alphas in flying condition, one with 102 flights on it. I also have a clone of an Alpha II (the initial version with the balsa nose cone and the longer motor mount tube), a handful of Alpha IIIs, one Alpha IV (which is essentially an Alpha III in different livery but with one of those plastic loop launch lugs), two Alpha VIs (which is an Alpha III stretched 1/2 inch and in different livery — one with the 18mm screw-on motor retainer instead of a hook) and a Rocket Science Starter Set rocket, which is also just a 1/2 inch longer Alpha III in different livery.

Ooooops — one more Alpha — the one I built and painted with the original color scheme from 1965 and which I got Bill Simon to autograph — that one is up on a high shelf and isn't flown any more.

I currently have two flyable Big Berhtas (one with a 24mm motor mount) and one on the repair table. I also have a Super Big Bertha in flying shape, as well as a Baby Bertha and a clone of a Mini Bertha.

My wife also has built and flies one of each, Big Bertha and Alpha.

Then there are the Phantoms....

Added: I think my first Alpha was probably my third rocket. A Streak and a Sprite were first and second.

Last edited:
It wasn't the first kit I ever bought but it was the first kit I ever successfully built. Sometime around 1977. It was part of the Deluxe Starter Kit.

Last edited:
I scratch built my first ever Alpha in 2018 using the plans from the 1969 Estes catalog insert.

Astron Alpha 001.jpg

I've also built a 60th Anniversary Alpha. Flew it once and retired it to the display cabinet.

As for the Big Bertha, I built one in 1973, and have a new one on the workbench awaiting its final paint color coat and decals.

Looking at that reminds me that I need to get back to Mr. Cramton at RocketryWorks about 3D printing a properly-shaped Alpha nose cone — that is one that is much closer to the original BNC-50K shape than anything currently available (eRockets' offering of the BNC-50K, when they have it, notwithstanding).

OK - eRockets does have it in stock. In reality it is not quite as sharply pointed as the illustration suggests and it's made of such soft wood that even if it were, it wouldn't stay that way.

ASP sells the BMS-make "50K" cone which is a good match for the PNC-50K used on Alpha III/IV/VI, etc. but is not the original BNC-50K shape.

What we REALLY need is for Estes to retool the original PNC-50KA blow-molded nose cone which had the original BNC-50K shape but has the durability of the nose cone they use now (and have been since ~1992) in Alpha kits. That's why I need to tag back up with RocketryWorks and see if they can/will make a 3D printed one that IS the right shape.

OK - eRockets does have it in stock. In reality it is not quite as sharply pointed as the illustration suggests and it's made of such soft wood that even if it were, it wouldn't stay that way.

ASP sells the BMS-make "50K" cone which is a good match for the PNC-50K used on Alpha III/IV/VI, etc. but is not the original BNC-50K shape.

What we REALLY need is for Estes to retool the original PNC-50KA blow-molded nose cone which had the original BNC-50K shape but has the durability of the nose cone they use now (and have been since ~1992) in Alpha kits. That's why I need to tag back up with RocketryWorks and see if they can/will make a 3D printed one that IS the right shape.
Is this plastic nose cone close to the correct shape and size?
https://www.rocketarium.com/Bulk/Nose-Cones/50

Maybe, if it really looks like the picture. The tip is too rounded, though and there's not enough straight before it gets to the shoulder. In any event I'm not going to buy a dozen of them just to see.

Here's a historical comparison I made (shadowbox using real vintage parts) with an Alpha III nose cone off to the right. What I would love to see is either a real balsa cone the shape of the one on top or a plastic one the shape of the first plastic one beneath it. The other two are US- and then Chinese-made examples of what's been in Alpha kits since...well, you can read the dates on the display.
IMG_2603.JPG

I sent an email to Estes, asking them if they had records showing what was, historically, there best selling kit.

2022-01-28 Estes Best Selling Rocket .jpg

Alpha is my go-to kit for Webelo Scout group sessions. Just don't give them all the parts right away.

Is this plastic nose cone close to the correct shape and size?

Unfortunately, no. It is 1/4" too long, too blunt of a tip, and it's true tangent ogive.

I've attached a pic that compares the following, left to right:

1 - Current Alpha 1225 nose cone
2 - '84 - '92 Alpha 1225 plastic "Fat ogive"
3 - Semroc BNC-50K
4 - Current Alpha III 1256 elliptical nose
5 - Rocketarium 3" BT-50 nose

@BEC , I've attached a screenshot of a 3d model of the PNC-50KA that I drew up in FreeCAD. I haven't printed it yet, so I'm not sure the wall thickness will result in a successful print. Off the shoulder, it is straight-walled for 5/8", which I'm also not quite sure is correct. The example from my pic is probably from an early '90s kit, as it has the blue decals. It seems to have a very slight taper off the shoulder, but it also appears to be warped.

I may be able to run a test print this weekend.

IMG_4774.JPGPNC-50KA-test.PNG

Maybe, if it really looks like the picture. The tip is too rounded, though and there's not enough straight before it gets to the shoulder. In any event I'm not going to buy a dozen of them just to see.

Here's a historical comparison I made (shadowbox using real vintage parts) with an Alpha III nose cone off to the right. What I would love to see is either a real balsa cone the shape of the one on top or a plastic one the shape of the first plastic one beneath it. The other two are US- and then Chinese-made examples of what's been in Alpha kits since...well, you can read the dates on the display.
View attachment 501925

Thanks for posting this. I recently made a nose cone for my Ahpla and now realize I need to reshape it. This helps a lot.

Need to Rework Nose Cone.jpg

What Is The Best Selling Model Rocket Kit Of All Time

I posted this question over on YORF and got my answer from none other than Vern Estes himself! The Alpha is the top selling model rocket of all time.
As far as I'm concerned, that settles it.

That's awesome, got the answer from the man himself. Here's a Link

2022-01-28 Vern Answers Question Estes Best Selling Rocket .jpg

Alpha was my first kit, ca 1966 ish? I got that rocket along with the D-cell based pad/launcher kit plus a Gyroc for Christmas. The Alpha went up first and was amazing! The Gyroc launch had to wait for the D-cells to re-warm up inside on a cold January 1966 (i think) day.

The Alpha launched many times but the Gyroc only once - elastic strings broke.

Did indeed! It was my very first rocket! My Dad built it with me in a class at The Pacific Science Center in Seattle when I was about 8... Dont have the rocket anymore, but I still have a scar from that (differant story!)

Don't remember any plastic being involved in the kit though. Fins were Balsa and I am pretty sure the nose was as well (Circa 70's)... Back in the days where one had to build everything! :)

Back