Have 5 Minute Epoxy, Will Repair Broken Fin on Astrobeam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the same thing happen to my Outlaw. The fins are very brittle and one snapped on landing a couple of years back. I found the piece and reattached it using BSI 30 mins but it only held up to one more flight before snapping off again. I ended up cutting the entire fin off and the base, sanding off the chrome and making a replacement out of thin Balsa soaked in epoxy. Ended up painting one fin and the surrounding area around the base in black to match the body.

I don't know what kind of plastic Estes uses but almost nothing sticks to it.

the fins are also a bit dangerous. No rule against catching a low power bird on descent (there is for High Power, but that's kind of a Darwin Award anyway, IMO), but I had a kid at a launch try to catch my Astrobeam on descent, caught the fin can on his hand, not a big cut, but really surprised me.

May be a good reason they don't make them anymore, I think.

the fins are also a bit dangerous. No rule against catching a low power bird on descent (there is for High Power, but that's kind of a Darwin Award anyway, IMO), but I had a kid at a launch try to catch my Astrobeam on descent, caught the fin can on his hand, not a big cut, but really surprised me.

May be a good reason they don't make them anymore, I think.
True. The Astrobeam fins are super thin. It’s weird. They don’t have to be that way. I can see that it is like catching a razor.

Back