Has anyone ever Powder-coated their bird?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, low temp powder coating needs 250-ish F for half an hour or so to cure - what would that do to typical kraft tubing, balsa and polystyrene? Stuff shouldn’t burn at that temperature but would there be some damage from baking like that? Interesting idea and maybe worth looking at - there are some low-buck powder coating setups out there from Eastwood and (of course) Harbor Freight...

If it worked it would certainly take care of wrinkled up rattle can paint disasters - no more rocket herpes!

Low-heat alternatives exist, with UV finishing - I'm giving it a shot on my next bird "Baby J"
Looking forward to the results of this - though for most home powder coaters something that cures at low temperatures so we can use an old oven is a little more practical than UV cured, maybe? What kind of UV source do you need and would it be as cheap/easy to come by as a thrift store toaster oven?

Any powder-coated finish I've ever seen (typically on metal) has had a pretty rough surface finish. Is there a way to make it smooth?
I’ve seen home powder coated parts on vintage cars and bikes that were pretty good - not glass-like but more than smooth enough for my five foot esthetics goal for rockets.

I've seen plenty of powder coated items that were very smooth. I've seen some very pebbly powder coated finishes, and they've usually been coated over pebbly cast iron substrates.

How do you apply powder coat to a non-conductive material? I was always understanding it was a coating for metals.

I thought the process grounded (or charged) the pieces that were supposed to be coated, and that helped attract the plastic powder before heating.

Of course, I'm no powder coat expert.

How do you apply powder coat to a non-conductive material? I was always understanding it was a coating for metals.

I thought the process grounded (or charged) the pieces that were supposed to be coated, and that helped attract the plastic powder before heating.

Haha I was just coming to this thread to ask this very question.

Looks like you can powder coat non-conductive materials: https://www.powdercoatguide.com/2012/12/objects-you-can-powder-coat.html#.YFoJUvlKiMo

I use to powder coat truck steel wheels at the Hayes wheel plant in Akron,they need to be charged for the powder to stick to the rim.Don't know if it will work on paper tubes and then there is the weight issue.A lot of work and rattle cans or air brush is a better choice for me.

I should have weighed the parts before and after, but you can tell the coating is thicker but not obtrusive, and much more durable.

Latest posts

Back