Anyone ever use casting epoxy to clear coat a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenECoyote

Well-roasted Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The local Hobby Lobby had some pourable clear casting epoxy on clearance and I picked some up.

Has anyone ever used it thinned as a clearcoat? I'd guess it would be more durable than clear coat spray paint?

Last edited:
The local Hobby Lobby had some pourabke clear casting epoxy on clearance and I picked sone up.

I picked some of that up down here as well.

Being casting resin, it's very slow curing and should be pretty thin already. For surface coats on a non-flat surface, I'd expect runs to make it a no-go.

This is the only stuff to use. Those beautiful finishes on bass fishing crankbaits? this is what they use. sprayable even through airbrushes, aerosol cans too

That looks like great stuff, but out of my pay grade for any more than the small can!

I have lifelong friends (husband/wife team) that make custom fishing rods and crankbaits, and make a living distributing fishing equipment in the western Missouri area. They don't use KBS, they use either Max2K or a special super thin epoxy to coat their hand made lures.

In practical use on MP and HP size rockets, I've found Max2K to be significantly harder, more durable, and glossier than KBS.

The only downside to Max2K is that it's catalyzed and requires PPE when spraying.

Max2K spray and a can of KBS are the same price on Amazon, and both are commonly available.

I've used both, and found that KBS may be ok for crafting, models, or smaller rocketry projects, but the Max2K protects and endures orders of magnitude better when used in larger MP and certainly the recovery on the ground dragging that many HP rockets are subject to.

Last edited:
This is the only stuff to use. Those beautiful finishes on bass fishing crankbaits? this is what they use. sprayable even through airbrushes, aerosol cans too
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/diamondfinish-clear.html
short 2 mute video

Thanks Hobie! Stuff looks killer! I may pick some up to try for a special big project. 🤩
I picked some of that up down here as well.

Being casting resin, it's very slow curing and should be pretty thin already. For surface coats on a non-flat surface, I'd expect runs to make it a no-go.

That looks like great stuff, but out of my pay grade for any more than the small can!
Thanks tsmith! Yeah, it'sthinned, but I figuredit may work further thinned. I'll try it later when I'm brave enough or have a rocket to sacrifice to the rocket gods 😆
I have lifelong friends (husband/wife team) that make custom fishing rods and crankbaits, and make a living distributing fishing equipment in the western Missouri area. They don't use KBS, they use either Max2K or a special super thin epoxy to coat their hand made lures.

In practical use on MP and HP size rockets, I've found Max2K to be significantly harder, more durable, and glossier than KBS.

The only downside to Max2K is that it's catalyzed and requires PPE when spraying.

Max2K spray and a can of KBS are the same price on Amazon, and both are commonly available.

I've used both, and found that KBS may be ok for smaller projects, but the Max2K protects and endures orders of magnitude better when used in larger MP and certainly the recovery on the ground dragging that many HP rockets are subject to.
Thanks Banzai! I like options! Also great to hear about your experiences with both. :)👍

Thanks tsmith! Yeah, it'sthinned, but I figuredit may work further thinned. I'll try it later when I'm brave enough or have a rocket to sacrifice to the rocket gods 😆

Please report back with results!

I'm not an epoxy snob, I'll use anything! This will most likely be used for laminating, molding or mold-making attempts.

However, I've posted here wondering if anyone else has tried and to hear any results... I'm not brave enough yet!
I understand this! I have one of those epoxy resin art kits from Michaels, makes all the funky 70s style swirlys. I have yet to try to do it on a tube. I guess I'm going to have to use a paper towel roll and see how it turns out.

I did a min diameter fiberglass sleeve rocket years ago (speed of money) and used epoxy to coat it. I set up a BBQ rotisserie moter to slowly rotate the rocket as the epoxy cured. I can't remember what I used but I wasn't overly thrilled with the results appearance wise. Lots of crazing and a yellowish look it seemed. Durable though no doubt! I seriously think I used generic table top epoxy to laminate the fiberglass and coat it! I have some of the ultra clear casting epoxy and wow, it takes a long time to cure! I looked into the diamond finish just barely and I'd like to try it out!
Ken

I did a min diameter fiberglass sleeve rocket years ago (speed of money) and used epoxy to coat it. I set up a BBQ rotisserie moter to slowly rotate the rocket as the epoxy cured. I can't remember what I used but I wasn't overly thrilled with the results appearance wise. Lots of crazing and a yellowish look it seemed. Durable though no doubt! I seriously think I used generic table top epoxy to laminate the fiberglass and coat it! I have some of the ultra clear casting epoxy and wow, it takes a long time to cure! I looked into the diamond finish just barely and I'd like to try it out!
Ken
I was just about to ask if anyone has used it to fg a body tube! It was something I was actually wondering about as an aside as I headed to the cashier with it.

Casting epoxy is designed for a long cure. As it is intended for making relatively deep molds/parts, it would exotherm severely if it was fast-curing.
Makes sense!
Given it's very slow cure, it doesn't make sense to use for coatings used as per directions.
I'm thinking of trying maybe a 4oz batch with bot 2oz parts heated up in a microwave see how much it speeds up the cure time.

As I use West System, I tried their 207 hardener for a clear coat on some carbon fins that I wanted to "show-off". I was pretty happy with the results... but "outsmarting" the tendency to drip took some work.
I was thinking of just that... that trying to avoid drips could be quite challenging; however, with a slow cure epoxy you have more time (perhaps too much).

Thanks!

Bob Smith has a 20 minute Finishing Epoxy resin with a low viscosity.
This should be better than Casting resin for a finish.

Then of course, there are numerious other professional epoxy resin systems (West for one) that have a finishing solution.

FYI I thought of another possible use for this stuff. I have an SBR 5.5" Hellfire with a clear dome nose cone that I've been trying to figure out a way to avoid having that fragile piece break on landing. Right now I'm thinking this clear casting epoxy would be perfect for creating a solid lens as well as setting nose weight behind it.

I tried using West 105+207 as an epoxy clearcoat and was pretty happy with the results. It made a very durable finish on top of the paint and sparkles and is thin enough that I just brushed it on with foam brushes.

To the comments above - it did add a small amount of weight to the rocket, and it doesn't dry as smooth as you'd like unless you thin it even further. You *can* wet sand the surface with high grit (400+) paper and then use a spray-on clear lacquer to make it shiny, but I actually like having the rougher surface (more drag = less chance of busting the waiver on big J motors).

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1910.jpeg

I tried using West 105+207 as an epoxy clearcoat and was pretty happy with the results. It made a very durable finish on top of the paint and sparkles and is thin enough that I just brushed it on with foam brushes.

To the comments above - it did add a small amount of weight to the rocket, and it doesn't dry as smooth as you'd like unless you thin it even further. You *can* wet sand the surface with high grit (400+) paper and then use a spray-on clear lacquer to make it shiny, but I actually like having the rougher surface (more drag = less chance of busting the waiver on big J motors).

View attachment 582723

View attachment 582725
Thanks for that info, very helpful since I also have West Systems epoxy.

I guess I'm going to have to use a paper towel roll and see how it turns out.
You're probably a step or two ahead of me here: paint the tube first, so the epoxy in your test is going ontl the same sort of surface that it would on a rocket.

I did a min diameter fiberglass sleeve rocket years ago (speed of money) and used epoxy to coat it. I set up a BBQ rotisserie moter to slowly rotate the rocket as the epoxy cured.
What about hanging the rocket vertically? If runs run all the way and drip off, leaving only as much as wets the surface, that should (hopefully) leave the surface nice and uniform while also adding minimal weight. The long cure time as well as the low viscosity might let that work.

You're probably a step or two ahead of me here: paint the tube first, so the epoxy in your test is going ontl the same sort of surface that it would on a rocket.

What about hanging the rocket vertically? If runs run all the way and drip off, leaving only as much as wets the surface, that should (hopefully) leave the surface nice and uniform while also adding minimal weight. The long cure time as well as the low viscosity might let that work.
This was one of the things I considered trying.

Latest posts

Back