Hangar 11 X-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob in Phoenix

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a Hangar 11 X-15 with 4 inch diameter? How long is it? How much weight did you add to the nose to insure stability?
When did you acquire it? And how much did it cost?
Thanks to all.
Bob in Phoenix

I have one, in kit form, never built. As such i've never tried to balance it.

Got it on the METRA field before Bobby B. stopped coming to METRA (I wonder how that happened :>)
I think I paid a little less then list because he didn't want to have to pack it up again.

Does anyone out there have a Hangar 11 X-15 with 4 inch diameter? How long is it? How much weight did you add to the nose to insure stability?
When did you acquire it? And how much did it cost?
Thanks to all.
Bob in Phoenix

Is this the kit your referencing?

Attachments

• hanger 11 4 in x-15.jpg
    hanger 11 4 in x-15.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 27
Wasn't he out at ROC maybe 6-7 years ago? X-15 looking kit I think with a Cheetos Cat in the compartment?? I think he had issues with it and it crashed??

Can't believe its been that long since I've been launching??
Yup, I think Chris has pics of his funeral crater. Beautiful bird, well done and well flown. Except the last time...

Wasn't he out at ROC maybe 6-7 years ago? X-15 looking kit I think with a Cheetos Cat in the compartment?? I think he had issues with it and it crashed??

Can't believe its been that long since I've been launching??
Ooh, that's the Astro Cat? I recall that one...I think Chester had a helmet too lol! However wasn't that an F104 Starfighter?

I loved that build... especially since I also love Chester Cheetah! 🙂

IMG_20220627_193811313_HDR.jpgIMG_20220627_193839480_HDR.jpg

Afterburners-Don't know fer sure that morning as
we talked as Astrocat got seated, he seemed busy and I left him to his preflights . Can't remember what was in the tubes but you did jog a memory it was a cluster of sorts. Were we hanging that day in the big awning? Loved that beautiful unit. Great yellow paint and really brought out the lines on the Hanger 19 bird. Totally cool guy, but can't remember his name.
KenECoyote, nope not a 106, too small, diff planform.

Last edited:
I have one that is 90% done. Need to attach the outer skins and recovery gear and it'll be done.
To be honest, I feel the shrouds are more than 10% since they are quite tricky, you have to do cut outs for the wings where there's no template, gluing was kind of tricky, and in dealing with the seller/maker I found out I had two right shrouds and when he went to get me a right from another kit, that kit also had two right shrouds! Also everything else is mostly common hp rocket build. Good luck!

Afterburners-Don't know fer sure that morning we talked as Astrocat got seated and I got busy. Were we hanging that day in the big awning? Loved that unit. Great paint and really brought out the lines on the Hanger 19 bird. Totally cool guy, but can't remember his name.
KenECoyote, nope not a 106, too small, diff planform.
Is it like this one? I was recalling #2, but he had made #3 & 4 and said they were based mostly off the Interceptor G

Thread 'Chester's Cheeto Chaser #3 Build' https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/chesters-cheeto-chaser-3-build.6208/

To be honest, I feel the shrouds are more than 10% since they are quite tricky, you have to do cut outs for the wings where there's no template, gluing was kind of tricky, and in dealing with the seller/maker I found out I had two right shrouds and when he went to get me a right from another kit, that kit also had two right shrouds! Also everything else is mostly common hp rocket build. Good luck!
you know, you're right. The shrouds are probably closer to 25%. It's the only thing stopping me from calling the kit done and I've considered painting the BT and fins black and calling it good enough but I can't bring myself to do it. It's a big kit and needs the shrouds to be really done. I've had it for 10+ years so it might take me 10 more to fully finish it. My hesitation is even greater now since I know I can't get replacement shrouds if I screw up. I do at least have a right and left shroud. :)

you know, you're right. The shrouds are probably closer to 25%. It's the only thing stopping me from calling the kit done and I've considered painting the BT and fins black and calling it good enough but I can't bring myself to do it. It's a big kit and needs the shrouds to be really done. I've had it for 10+ years so it might take me 10 more to fully finish it. My hesitation is even greater now since I know I can't get replacement shrouds if I screw up. I do at least have a right and left shroud. :)
I detailed the "shroud of mystery" in my build, so hopefully that'll make it less daunting, but it's good to just cut smaller at first and make bigger to fit. Plus filler is your friend if you do any goofs 😆.

Back