Guess what I found! (vintage Estes D.A.R.T. scratch rebuild)

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by shanejohnson2002, Apr 6, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

  1. Apr 6, 2019 #1

    shanejohnson2002

    shanejohnson2002

    shanejohnson2002

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2019
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    19
    Gender:
    Male
    Yep....its true While helping my parents clean out some old storage boxes, I found my first rocket, built circa 1989:

    20190405_194001.jpg

    So, of course I *have* to clone this. I have just enough BT60 left over, and I just ordered the repro nosecone.

    Follow this thread for the cloning process!
     
    8thPaladin likes this.
  2. Apr 6, 2019 #2

    shanejohnson2002

    shanejohnson2002

    shanejohnson2002

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2019
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    19
    Gender:
    Male
    Ok so, first task. Measurements and sims. Kind of difficult without any fins handy. If anyone that has this kit would like to send me some accurate fin measurements and/or a drawing, that'd be much appreciated. As-is, I extrapolated the dimensions by taking a screenshot of the PDF directions, loading it up into Paint, rotating until the fin edge was aligned with the bottom of the frame, and started measuring everything in Paint. Then, I converted those using a conversion factor I calculated based on the difference between the root edge of the JPG, and the measured area where the root edge used to be. Scaled up the fins, carefully measured everything else I have on-hand, et voila:

    DART sim2.png

    A standard 12" chute came down a little fast for my liking, so after adding a 15" chute (using my JLCR set to 200' deployment altitude) and a much longer shock cord, I got these results:

    DART sim3.png

    I highlighted the ones that are of interest to me. Looks like a B6-4 for a shakedown, and maxing out at a low/slow 630ish on a C6-5.

    Of course, since I didn't stick with the factory paint scheme in 1989, no reason to start now:

    DART sim.png

    ....although I'm strongly considering something like Duplicolor Inferno Red Metallic.

    Looks like I have some work ahead of me, but it shouldn't be too bad. Now that I've found a nosecone, and have some workable fins, the next big hurdle will actually be the decals. I *love* stickershock and I'll be using them for another project soon, but I want to stay true to the original as much as possible. So I'll be printing this on some Testors decal paper:

    Decals.jpg

    I know the Red/Black/Gold stripes are out of order (they're Black/Red/Gold on the original)...but that's either easily lived with, or easily changed.

    That's actually all for tonight. I'll be measuring and cutting the BT tomorrow, and possibly making the motor mount and starting on the fins.

    I should also add that I briefly tossed around the idea of modernizing it a bit. I prefer baffles and pistons where possible, and the small chute packing area made me consider a backwards piston (with the parachute in the cupped end, and the bulkhead directly against the motor mount). I also considered tossing the flat retention spring for my favorite, the Rocketarium 18mm screw-on. However, in the interest of keeping it as close to original as possible, I'll be doing this old-school, and using both traditional wadding/barf as well as a steel retention spring.
     
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. Apr 6, 2019 #3

    kuririn

    kuririn

    kuririn

    BARGeezer TRF Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    1,461
    Likes Received:
    243
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Hawaii
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    shanejohnson2002 likes this.
  4. Apr 6, 2019 #4

    shanejohnson2002

    shanejohnson2002

    shanejohnson2002

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2019
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    19
    Gender:
    Male
    Thanks for the link! That's a huge help...and we'll see how far off the math was. I'm guessing the answer will be "quite a bit".

    It is the one from Sirius. I believe it is a Scud nosecone also.

    The decals were found via Google search. It was one of the results of entering "Estes D.A.R.T.".
     
  5. Apr 6, 2019 #5

    bguffer

    bguffer

    bguffer

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2009
    Messages:
    375
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trying to upload a RockSim file.
     

    Attached Files:

    shanejohnson2002 likes this.
  6. Apr 6, 2019 #6

    K'Tesh

    K'Tesh

    K'Tesh

    OpenRocket Chuck Norris

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2013
    Messages:
    11,332
    Likes Received:
    178
    Yes, it's the same nosecone.

    P/N 071015, PNC-60B (Blow Molded)
    Kit Number Kit Name
    1340 ******* SS-1C SCUD-B
    1379 ******* Mach-2
    1981 ******* D.A.R.T.

    The Mach-2 is basically a Maxi Icarus (1331) without the payload section, and getting the new nosecone, name, and decals.
     
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    shanejohnson2002 likes this.
  7. Apr 6, 2019 #7

    K'Tesh

    K'Tesh

    K'Tesh

    OpenRocket Chuck Norris

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2013
    Messages:
    11,332
    Likes Received:
    178
    ....
     
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019

Share This Page