3D Printing Group project: Parametric X-17

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about it right now. Maybe a 29mm motor mount.

An approach I used in an earlier project was to design to the full size measurements parametrically in Fusion 360, then set all parameters to be multiplied by a scale factor that can be set. To change the entire design, just change the scale factor. Do you use Fusion 360?

Well, the National Museum of the USAF no longer has the X-17 on display. In fact, the staff was having trouble locating information on where it might be. The current best guess is that it's in one of three possible places: on-loan to another museum, in restoration, or in storage. Nobody was sure and it was hard to find any references to it at all. We finally found a reference to it in a 2008 published inventory. I've emailed, at their suggestion, another office in the museum to try and track it down.

In the meantime, I'm pulling as many different photos as I can find. I hope to post those later today. I've also started entering the parameters from Peter Alway's diagram into a Fusion 360 file.

The approximate size of the actual rocket is 40' tall and with a diameter of 31" for the 1st stage dropping to 9" for the nose cone.

A Google search on ' "x-17" missile image ' yields the following images as well as others. Some of these may be copyrighted. Please do the search and click through to the original site.

x-17-ground.jpg X-17 color.jpg X-17 postcard.jpg lowtrz.jpg xttrlz.jpg Lockheed_X-17_horizontal.jpg Lockheed_X-17_launchplatform.jpg c027001.jpg x-17-1.jpg

Question for everyone.

I'm getting all the parameters entered into a Fusion 360 project from Alway's diagram (Rockets of the World). His diagram gives all measurements with the top of the rocket being 0 on the vertical z-axis and the bottom being 483.96 (but shown in the negative z-axis direction. In setting up the parameters in Fusion, I can have Fusion automatically invert this so that the bottom of the rocket is 0 on the z-axis by entering all parameters as the expression 483.96 - staxxx.xx where staxxx.xx is the sta number from the diagram.

Thus, for designing in Fusion, where do people want the z-axis 0 reference point on the 3D model to be? Top or bottom of the rocket?

Last edited:
So, in a moment of "just do it" I set up where you can just choose which frame of reference you want. The project currently three design files: AlwayParametersBottomZero, AlwayParametersTopZero, and BT80H 1st Stage Fin Can. The first two designs only contain the parameters specified as either bottom is zero or the top is zero. To create a new design with one of the reference sets, open the appropriate AlwayParameter design file, then in the Design environment, select Create/Derive menu option. In the dialog be sure the Parameters Favorites checkbox is selected. A new empty design file will be opened with all the parameters passed in, available for use. The third design used that approach to build a 0.085 scale fin can.

The only way I can share the entire Fusion 360 project is by inviting people. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll invite you to the project.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 2.49.37 PM.png

Mystery solved. At our WSR703 (NAR section) annual holiday party Tuesday, the director of education for the National Museum of the USAF (and rocketeer) was in attendance. She did not know about where it might be, but her husband, who also works at the museum, did. It's in restoration. Unfortunately, the restoration tours no longer occur because of security concerns (the restoration hanger is on Wright-Patterson AFB proper, not on the museum grounds).

Ok. You fond it. Originally, this was a typo - I meant X15, but you found something better.

Back