GRITS Southeastern Winternationals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any day w/ some sunshine and a waiver is perfect for me! :D

True, but cooler temps is way better than hot and humid! :)

That is a large area. Is it a single land owner? If so, that would be really fantastic.

I tried inputting the coords in google maps and it puked saying it didn't recognize how I had done it..Figures..Anyway, thanks for the link Roger..Looks like a BIG field!:D Makes it even more inviting to go attend this shingdig! Once I get a 2014 calendar I will have to circle the dates so I don't forget as I am sure my sticky will have gone unstuck by then!:rofl:

We have a preliminary pic showing the "if-we-had-to-launch-today" field dimensions / recovery area.

LEGEND:
Orange = useable launch/recovery area belonging to the field owner
Blue = land belonging to the field owner's brother whom we fully expect to receive access to
Yellow = current proposed launch heads. Location would depend on wind direction

Field.jpg

Note: There is a lot more land there that belongs to the field owner and we are currently working to safely incorporate it for this event. As we get more and more permissions (and our experience down there thus far leads us to believe we won't have any issues...*knock on wood*) I'll be updating this map accordingly.

We have a preliminary pic showing the "if-we-had-to-launch-today" field dimensions / recovery area.

LEGEND:
Orange = useable launch/recovery area belonging to the field owner
Blue = land belonging to the field owner's brother whom we fully expect to receive access to
Yellow = current proposed launch heads. Location would depend on wind direction

View attachment 145198

Note: There is a lot more land there that belongs to the field owner and we are currently working to safely incorporate it for this event. As we get more and more permissions (and our experience down there thus far leads us to believe we won't have any issues...*knock on wood*) I'll be updating this map accordingly.

Can you put a scale on the map?

NICE!:D

So is field closer to Tifton then Nashville? Non intensive looking finds no motels in Nashville..Just curious how far from Tifton the field is...

I just found I am about 2 hours away. There are some hotels in Tifton. I think it is about 20 minutes.

Shouldn't be too bad then..Google maps puts Tifton to Nashville at 24 miles..So a 12 mile ride to the field from the motel is doable..

Glenn,

I know you have a lot on your plate, but when you're talking to the land owner, please considering asking if it's okay if RVs park on the site overnight. A few rocketry people travel to launches in them and I may be able to borrow one for the launch. Please assure the owner that they won't cause any trouble or damage.

Thanks.

-- Roger

Glenn,

I know you have a lot on your plate, but when you're talking to the land owner, please considering asking if it's okay if RVs park on the site overnight. A few rocketry people travel to launches in them and I may be able to borrow one for the launch. Please assure the owner that they won't cause any trouble or damage.

That's a great question to ask, Roger! I hope to be heading down to meet with the field owner sometime soon and I'll be sure to broach the subject. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

As we are working behind the scenes for this launch, one of the more fun tasks is getting together some cool prizes. On that topic, I was curious as to what kinds of schwag people most want to get. Sound off and let us know which of these you would most like to win: kits, motor casings, cool components, or non-flyables (t-shirts, hats, etc.)

Glenn,

Thanks.

-- Roger

Make that 2 requests, I would like to RV this trip.

Thanks a Bunch,
Eric

Eric
I'm going to stay at some motel in Tifton, you could park it there, I'll say it's mine.
We'll cover ya Bro!

Eric
I'm going to stay at some motel in Tifton, you could park it there, I'll say it's mine.
We'll cover ya Bro!

When we've parked in a hotel/motel parking lot, we've paid for a room. As nice as the RV is, even a cheap motel room is usually better. :)

-- Roger

Just to give a quick update, we are (still) waiting on our waiver to be approved. The recent government shutdown has affected this process and our FAA rep has not returned any recent messages so...your guess is as good as mine as to when we'll hear back from the guy. He has been responsive in the past, however, so we're hoping he's just catching up from a big backlog of work.

In the mean time we have been working in the background to get a couple of "official" motels for the event and we're looking to secure a good place to eat for nice sit-down dinner with everyone that wants to attend. Being that everything is hinging on the waiver, however, we are hesitant to open registration in case we have a worst-possible-scenario develop.

Lastly, we are tinkering around with the idea of having a "Mach Madness" contest on the field. The rocket with the highest recorded velocity that A] is recovered undamaged (slight melting is acceptable) and B] does not bust the waiver would be declared the winner...at least those are the current rules that we're debating.

I know we have an open question regarding RVs and overnight stays on or near the field but we still haven't managed to speak with the field owner. We're hoping that will be soon.

Ok, that's all the info we have at the moment. If anyone thinks of any new questions, fire them my way and I'll do what I can to answer.

Any updates yet? Waiver? Hotels? Are you still planning on this launch? Lot's of people are excited to attend.

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!

We have our 20,000 foot waiver!!!

SOOO... the scoop once again for whoever might have missed the original discussion:

Tripoli Atlanta Rocketry Association (TARA) along with Southern Area Rocketry (SOAR) are putting on a regional 3-day launch event February 21st-23rd, 2014. For those of you familiar with our previous GRITS launches (Georgia Rockets In The Sky), this one has been dubbed the GRITS WinterNationals.

Details:

- DATES: February 21-23 (TRA sanctioned all 3 days; NAR flyers welcomed)
- TIMES: 10am to 5pm all three days.
- WAIVER: 20,000 ft.
- MOTOR SUPPORT: Anything from 1/8A up to O
- FREEBIES: Yes, we will be raffling off prizes throughout the event

MOTELS:
We picked two different motels in Tifton, GA. The first listed below would be considered a "mid tier" place while the second is squarely in the "budget" class though it was recently remodeled. Both motels have gotten good ratings on TripAdvisor.com.

Comfort Inn & Suites
320 S. Virginia Ave,
Tifton, GA 31794
(229) 382-8250
Rate: $75 per night (Ask for the GRITS WinterNationals rate)

Econo Lodge
1025 W. 2nd St.
Tifton, GA 31794
(229) 382-0280
Rate: $51.29 per night (Ask for the GRITS WinterNationals rate)

PROJECTS & COMPETITIONS:
We have at least one big project that should go up on an 'O' motor and perhaps one with a central 'O' and two 'M's. If you want to fly anything of 'M' impulse or higher, please contact me at "grits atsign glennharper.net". Also, we are going to hold a "mach madness" competition so feel free to bring your minimum diameter speed demons and fly with us!

Last edited:
Congrats on getting everything organized. 20K is nice, I do hope the recovery area is friendly... Looking forward to it!

Anything about Night Launching yet, great time of year for it, dusk to dark 6:00 to 7:00.:dark:

Back