EVENT GRITS 2023 - Georgia Rockets In The Sky - Registration Open

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I registered as a flyer but we're also interested in attending as a vendor.

We are looking forward to the launch. We have always had a good time at GRITS.

BTW, G. Harry Stine's name is misspelled on the page. :)

Come fly with us in Nashville, GA (Near Tifton). New event weekend: November 18-19 2023

Register today and get more details at https://gritslaunch.com/

Two-day family registration: $35, single days $25. Non-flying spectators always free.

GRITS 2023 offers:
  • A 12,000 foot AGL altitude waiver
  • A square mile of recovery area
  • Fresh-cooked food for sale
  • Porta-potties with hand-washing stations for your convenience
  • Chris’ Supplies onsite vendor for all your rocketry and propellant needs
  • Raffle prizes featuring rockets signed by Vernon Estes, Books signed by G. Harry Stine
  • And stick around after the launch on Saturday for a surprise!
GRITS is hosted by SoAR - Southern Area Rocketry - NAR Section 571

Come fly with us in Nashville, GA (Near Tifton). New event weekend: November 18-19 2023

Register today and get more details at https://gritslaunch.com/

Two-day family registration: $35, single days $25. Non-flying spectators always free.

GRITS 2023 offers:
  • A 12,000 foot AGL altitude waiver
  • A square mile of recovery area
  • Fresh-cooked food for sale
  • Porta-potties with hand-washing stations for your convenience
  • Chris’ Rocket Supplies and JonRocket.com onsite vendors for all your rocketry and propellant needs
  • Raffle prizes featuring rockets signed by Vernon Estes, Books signed by G. Harry Stine
  • And stick around after the launch on Saturday for a surprise!
GRITS is hosted by SoAR - Southern Area Rocketry - NAR Section 571

Couple corrections to vendor list: see quote above.

A note for folks who are on the fence about attending: it's time to register and get your lodging now. Competing special events in the area are causing hotels to start to fill and rates to rise across the board.

Register today at https://gritslaunch.com/ - many Tifton hotels are listed on the site.

SoAR and its officers have no business relationship with any of the listed hotels. (members may have booked their own rooms for the event at several).

One question came up from a member and I think I know the answer: Is this a NAR-sanctioned event under NAR Rules? I do not see that answered on the site.

One question came up from a member and I think I know the answer: Is this a NAR-sanctioned event under NAR Rules? I do not see that answered on the site.
Good question, thanks!

SoAR, the sponsoring group is NAR section 571, and the event will take place under NAR rules.

Per usual, Tripoli certifications will be recognized, though those flyers will still need to fly under NAR rules. (I'm sure there are other fine points, but generally, no experimental motors)

I'll try to get some info on the site today.

Good question, thanks!

SoAR, the sponsoring group is NAR section 571, and the event will take place under NAR rules.

Per usual, Tripoli certifications will be recognized, though those flyers will still need to fly under NAR rules. (I'm sure there are other fine points, but generally, no experimental motors)

I'll try to get some info on the site today.

Thanks. I will answer. They guy wanted to fly experimental. I am not sure why he did not ask here.

I have to cancel out this year. I don't know if I will have a job after Friday. I'm a DoD support contractor and my contract is only funded through Friday. If the House and Senate don't pass at least a continuing resolution by Friday, I will be furloughed, with no back pay. On top of that, I'm struggling with an annoying upper respiratory infection. ☹ I hope I can make it next year, GRITS is always a fun event.

I have to cancel out this year. I don't know if I will have a job after Friday. I'm a DoD support contractor and my contract is only funded through Friday.

I’m sorry to hear that Rob. 🤞🤞🤞
I’d promise not to park next to you if that makes a difference!

For anyone on the fence, the weather is looking great at this point:

279AA6F6-7FB0-4A9E-94C7-A42F2C4C5FD7.jpeg

6E327D66-01E9-4933-8917-13775D5CE30F.jpeg

Back when I lived in Atlanta I was in a yoyo club called the Georgia Institute for Return-Top Sciences, or GIRTS

Alrighty. If you’ll just go ahead and sign in here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/the-nerd-pride-thread.173314/

We are having fun trying to get ready because of the rain here. I guess I am just going to have to get wet while loading our trailer. But the weather for the trip up tomorrow looks good and the forecast for the launch site this weekend is great!

Still raining here in Central Florida. It has been raining nonstop for more than 24 hours! So, we aren't quite done packing yet. But, we should still leave on time tomorrow.

Speaking of time, I didn't see a schedule on the GRITS website. But, the SOAR site says 9:00 am to 5:30 pm each day.

We arrived at the Tifton KOA a few hours ago after a mostly uneventful trip. It did rain much more than I had expected. We are settling in for the night and will head out to the launch site early tomorrow to set up.

Last night and this morning were a bit more eventful. It never stopped raining at home. We now have waterfront property as our front yard looks like a lake. And, as I was slicing some onions for the trip, I managed to lop off a chunk of my right thumb. So typing on my phone is challenging. Heck, just unlocking my phone is difficult.

Last edited:
We arrived at the Tifton KOA a few hours ago after a mostly uneventful trip. It did rain much more than I had expected. We are settling in for the night and will head out to the launch site early tomorrow to set up.

Last night and this morning were a bit more eventful. It never stopped raining at home. We now have waterfront property as our front yard looks like a lake. And, as I was slicing some onions for the trip, I managed to lop off a chunk of my right thumb. So typing on my phone is challenging. Heck, just unlocking my phone is difficult.
Hopefully, you can unlock it in time to take pictures of some flights!

What's the field like after all this rain? I was going to head up there tomorrow but want to make sure it's not a muddy mess.

Back