Great new promo for model rocketry... until the last five seconds.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyAtl

Reaction score
At a site for commercial video productions, I saw a link for a video, "Sharing his hobby...", with description about model rockets. So I start to play the video, and it is just great! Well done, well scripted... until... the last few seconds.

Turns out it was done for a facility that works with abused kids and their families.

https://creativity-online.com/work/blue-sky-bridge-model-rockets/27966

EDIT: Looks like creativity-online.com has locked down that link (i guess they want to sell you a subscription or something)

Here is the organization's website. They're featuring the video prominently.

https://blueskybridge.org/

EDIT ADDITIONAL:

The spot was made in a correctional facility in Cañon City, CO. A stone's throw from Estes.

Here's a news article about it

Last edited:
Priests/Ministers

Teachers

Sports Coaches (PENN STATE!!)

Scout Leaders

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

For the record I have personally NEVER heard of a case of child abuse developing out of model rocketry activities. Of course it undoubtedly happens in isolated instances, but if anybody did a real intensive study of the matter, I would bet the incidence is MUCH higher in activities where participants regularly change or take off clothes (i.e. sports) or are in emotional duress (ministers, priests, etc).

Plus, sports and religious settings often put students and adults in individual one-on-one settings away from parents whereas model rocketry is usually in larger groups with plenty of parents in attendance.

As a sibling of younger kids involved in sports I was always suspicious of coaches who insisted on closed practices. What were they doing behind closed doors that they didn't want anybody to see?

As far as we ever found out, there was nothing improper going on except a lot of Vince Lombardi/Bobby Knight "winning is the only thing" yelling, screaming and table-banging.

When I got into youth sports coaching I always made it very clear parents were always welcome and encouraged to attend ANY team activity. Hardly any parents ever wanted to hang around to watch practice, but I always wanted to make it clear there was nothing going on I didn't want them to see.

Last edited:
Update: it now says you must be a subscriber to Creativity-Online to see the video so I guess we probably don't have to worry about the video going viral all over YouTube and all rocketeers being painted as child molesters.

It's too bad because as RoyAtl says, it is a perfectly good video for the first 20 seconds, depicts the hobby very positively, then it turns out the guy is a predator. (Somehow I suspect there aren't too many high-security prisons which allow inmates free access to rocketry equipment.)

And of course it could be made about pretty much any activity in which adults mentor children.

wow this kinda thing happens in every kind of sport/hobbie.
sad the had to show rocketry as being that way which is not true.
It's more likely to happen in other clubs were parents are less involved.
This just makes me mad.

Back