Grave Danger Fin Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug_kosty

Reaction score
So... my Grave Danger had a bit of a rough landing and snapped off the tip of one fin. The fins are 1/8 inch plywood, TTW, and have my best fillets on them. Sigh.

I have fashioned a replacement bit and glued it on - am currently in the process of sanding it to blend into the original fin better.

I am left with the thought that this will probably snap off on the first landing so I am wondering what would be a good reinforcement method? A layer of really light fiberglass? Paper ? Do just this one fin or all three?

Ideas are welcome. I don't want to add this one to the junk pile since I really like the look if it and the lettering by Stickershock turned out great....

skin the fin with paper...as far as trimming that would work, but can you post a picture of the damage fin? How much of it broke off.

I was considering a Mercury kit...what are the components like? Are they good quality?

The Grave Danger Is a nice kit. I've even seen someone do an L1 Cert on one.

I was considering a Mercury kit...what are the components like? Are they good quality?

I absolutely love my Mercury Hijacker. Great kit. I can't believe all you get for $40: ejection baffle, TTW plywood fins, nylon parachute, 29mm motor mount. I've flown mine on up to G80's. The only damage so far was a small zipper, caused by the Kevlar cord I used. I just put a wrap of foil tape around the top of the body tube to cover the zipper, and it's still flying.

hijacker_firstflight1.jpg

hijacker_firstflight4.JPG

hijacker_zipper.JPG

So... my Grave Danger had a bit of a rough landing and snapped off the tip of one fin. The fins are 1/8 inch plywood, TTW, and have my best fillets on them. Sigh.

I have fashioned a replacement bit and glued it on - am currently in the process of sanding it to blend into the original fin better.

I am left with the thought that this will probably snap off on the first landing so I am wondering what would be a good reinforcement method? A layer of really light fiberglass? Paper ? Do just this one fin or all three?

Ideas are welcome. I don't want to add this one to the junk pile since I really like the look if it and the lettering by Stickershock turned out great....

I don't quite know how to describe this, but you could cut matching slots in the broken fin and the repair piece, epoxy strips of plywood or 1/8" hardwood dowel in the slots, and sand it flush. Kind of like tenons.

I used some pieces of cardboard and paper to illustrate what I mean. You could also cut a dovetail in the fin and make it like a matching puzzle piece.

fin_repair1.jpg

fin_repair2.jpg

fin_repair3.jpg

To answer a few questions -

1) The part that broke off is about 2 X 2 cm. If I trimmed the fins to match, the resulting fin would be really prone to breakage.

2) I really liked the build in this kit - went together well and other than this incident has been a fine performer. It even spent more than an hour floating in Mission Bay and was recovered by a jetski without any damage. That may be more a testament to the many layers of paint and primer than the actual quality of the kit.

3) The tenon or dovetail idea is clever. I'll give that a try on the next break...

4) I'm thinking that papering that fin will be adequate. Heck - the vinyl will probably also lend some strength ;)

Lots of good info, qquake. Must hage been a slow day in North Calaki-laki.

Lots of good info, qquake. Must hage been a slow day in North Calaki-laki.

Kinda slow. LOL

I just like finding solutions. And coming from a woodworking background, tenons and dovetails were a natural. I've seen picture frames put together with the "tenon" method.

Kinda slow. LOL

I just like finding solutions. And coming from a woodworking background, tenons and dovetails were a natural. I've seen picture frames put together with the "tenon" method.

qquake I think your ideas are really unique and feel they would work good. Might be worth trying sometime.

The Scortch kit from Red River Rocketry actually uses the dovetail idea to assemble the fins (forward cant). I haven't put the kit together yet, but it's next on the build pile.

Back