Got Squid? Got flight report?? 66% K Cluster!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
* m u s t-n e v e r-v i s i t-t h i s-t h r e a d-a g a i n...
(chest pains, rapid breathing, profuse sweating and alarms going off in my wallet)
OMG guys! I used to hate on tube fins but both of these are absofantasalutely >edited for public viewing<

DUDE this is a perfect project for my LOC Bluetube special ! You need to do one too for drag race and we could be a strobe intop for air start night launch

Kenny

Now to a question for you folks. Is it safe to light the airstarts one at a time with a delay between the two, or should they both go off together?

Lookin really good!!! Should be fine with a delay between the airstarts. I have been able to do it a few times in mine and I dont see any course change from the offset motors. For airstarts Ive switched to a raven instead of straight timers since my last fiasco!!! Now if the rockets not going like it should the airstarts wont fire:y:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/7367714888/

Last edited:
A few pics to show why and how i did the dowel fillets. This should really beef up the connection between body tube and fins. I used an syringe to squirt a thick bead of wood glue down the valley, then another each side of the valley where the dowel would connect. Placed dowel, wiggled it to make sure it had glue and then left it. Wood filler for front and rear fillets and then a smear of wood glue over the top of everything to get extra joints. Next will be to smear a covering of epoxy over the fillets to fillet the fillet.

DSCF1373_resize.jpg

DSCF1375_resize.jpg

more pics

the Pinnacle nose cone arrived today. Will get another pic comparing the two setups as soon as i have removed the rear of the shoulder on the Pinnacle, its LONG.

DSCF1377_resize.jpg

DSCF1379_resize.jpg

Holy BlueTube Kraken, Batman! How did I not see this thread!?

A pair of H143SS should be the lowest impulse according to this. Dual H225WT's would be a nicer option, but less 'ink'.

I like the way you think. :)

A few pics to show why and how i did the dowel fillets. This should really beef up the connection between body tube and fins. I used an syringe to squirt a thick bead of wood glue down the valley, then another each side of the valley where the dowel would connect. Placed dowel, wiggled it to make sure it had glue and then left it. Wood filler for front and rear fillets and then a smear of wood glue over the top of everything to get extra joints. Next will be to smear a covering of epoxy over the fillets to fillet the fillet.

I really wish I had done this on my KK. i'm a little worried about the strength of my unfilleted tube fin attachments.

Just don't try to add fillets AFTER you've primer-ed. (Also - don't ask me how I know this.) :blush:

And yes, I think you should use color-shifting paint on this one...

(okay, I'm done spamming your build-thread now.)

Last edited:
I really wish I had done this on my KK. i'm a little worried about the strength of my unfilleted tube fin attachments.

Just don't try to add fillets AFTER you've primer-ed. (Also - don't ask me how I know this.) :blush:

I used 5min epoxy to attach the fins to my 3" King Kraken, didnt show any problems at launch, and no, I didnt fillet those ones. This one will be under a lot more stress.

And yes, I think you should use color-shifting paint on this one...

(okay, I'm done spamming your build-thread now.)

After talking to the girls, including a spare one that is spending the weekend, the color scheme is blue with green inside the fins. So, it may be blue/green color shifting and bright lime green inside, with a metallic charcoal black nose.

Hmm, I also just saw something that I think NEEDS to go onto this project, following the WARPed theme.
I got 10 of these. They are 12V so should run on an A23 battery, easy to make a battery compartment inside the rear bodytube. One or two strips for inside each fin and a load of spares. Add a superbright led into the payload bay which will squirt light out of the static holes, and something for the nosecone to shoot light out the base when it ejects.

[video=youtube;Ct_X_1RZpOk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ct_X_1RZpOk[/video]

Now that's a sexy butt!

Now that's a sexy butt!

Thank you.. now add 4 I236's off the pad and we have a K944!!

Always wanted a 944
280px-1986_944_Turbo_.jpg

Pinnacle nose cone got introduced to the knife. Whilst it was under, I gave it some cosmetic surgery and removed excess plastic. It also now has squiddly canards (c), I went as large as I could without needing to go over stupid over the nose weight. Also got some Acme conformal rail guides, so on they went.

DSCF1381.jpg

Pretty nice build. Has it flown?

Nah, not even close yet. Plan was that it would launch today, but, I am not there, so it would be difficult. Now I have to wait until spring for my clubs next HPR. Well, that's actually good, as it lets me time to save to be able to afford to launch this.

So I take it, you've decided on the longer nosecone?

Oh yes!! The one that came with the LOC Bluetube deal (I am tempted to get another couple of those deals and make a 54mm Kraken!!) is the LOC standard 4" nosecone with 12.5" of nose. The Pinnacle is 19.5" !! It now looks sooo long and pointy and sleek. I foresaw problems with the canards (first time on a Kraken that I have included those... this is Kraken #6), so I moved em back. The profile now looks like it should be renamed Saab Kraaken (look up Saab Drakken).

I have decided on glueing in this MMT setup. If I want a 54mm Kraken, and I DO! then I just have to repeat all the hard stuff and make a spare rear end for this one.

Decisions have also been make on motors. Since I am going to have to stock up to fly this, it would be prudent to prepare a plan. Choices are as follows, but are up to change.

Flight # --- Motors ------------- Expected Alt/Spd
1 --------- CTI H225 x2 -------- 1500ft , 360ft/sec
2 -------- CTI I170 x2 ---------- 2500ft , 450ft/sec
3 -------- H225 x4 ------------- 3700ft , 580ft/sec 2 lit on the pad, 2 airstarts with 2 second delay from launch detect
4 -------- H225 x4 ------------- 3750ft , 690ft/sec Ignite all 4 on the pad!!!
5 -------- I170 x4 -------------- 4850ft , 640ft/sec 2 lit on the pad, 2 airstarts with 4 second delay from launch detect

then we can really start to play with the larger motor combinations working up to....

99 ------ J400SS x2 , I170 x2 --- 7500ft , 860ft/sec probably the strongest combo I could get away with and still have the Kraken afterwards

Nope, this beastie wont be my Mach-ken, will have to rethink another idea for that... ooh.. how about a min diam 54mm Fiberglass Kraken, or is that a little sick??

Last edited:
"Saab Kraaken" - I like the name, and I can definitely see it. :)

how about a min diam 54mm Fiberglass Kraken, or is that a little sick??

That is just a little sick, but it is the GOOD kind of sick. I say you should do it! (I'll be taking notes :grin:)

Wicked design. Love it. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Bringing home the Kraken Bacon.

Whatcha using for the airstarts? What ignitors and what electronics?

Wicked design. Love it. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Bringing home the Kraken Bacon.

Whatcha using for the airstarts? What ignitors and what electronics?

I am leaning more and more towards using this as the excuse to buy a Raven 3. It will handle all that I need, and more, and provide the safety aspect needed with airstarts. Hadnt even given a second thought to ignitors, bad me, I was planning on using the standard CTI ones, but am open to suggestions.

Tonight's task, "Fun with Lead, Foam, Cyanates and other fun and friendly stuff".. guess what I am doing?

Hadnt even given a second thought to ignitors, bad me, I was planning on using the standard CTI ones, but am open to suggestions.

I think using CTI motors for the airstarts is a winning idea! :headbang: I was not sure of the electrical requirements of the ignitors that come with them. I totally think the pyrodex pellet at the top of (many?) most CTI loads make them a purrrrrfect airstart or staging motor. :2: I was just curious about the current requirements and what you'll use as electronics. And by current requirements I was thinking simultaneous ignition not staggered.

Best wishes!

WOW definitely following, spectacular Kraken upgrade! Well done.
Love the Kraken!

Nah, not even close yet. Plan was that it would launch today, but, I am not there, so it would be difficult. Now I have to wait until spring for my clubs next HPR. Well, that's actually good, as it lets me time to save to be able to afford to launch this.

I had to go. Couldn't stand it if I had to wait until May. But now we are all in the same boat.
-Chuck

Ahhhh crap!!!

Methodically and scientifically (with sawhorse) worked out CG without the nose weight in. Went and worked out how much weight I needed up there and put that out in a dixie cup. Got all the materials together and started on the chore. The allthread went in first, with a 38mm ring (cut from the centering rings) up front as a ... centering ring. When that was sat all balanced and positioned properly I hand screwed it into the inside tip. 2 part foam came out and with syringe bodies I measured out 12ml of each and mixed. Poured into the bottom and it dribbled through two holes I had drilled in that 38mm ring. When I saw that it was expanding, I dropped the lead on top of the ring and watched it start the encapsulation. Kept added foam bit by bit until it had got to the inside of the canard fins and locked their tabs in place. I have foamed a nose cone before, and learned not to add a large amount of foam in one go for two reasons, firstly, it always expands larger than you think, and two, it gets warm as it sets. First poly nose was a useless form afterwards. From then on its add a couple of syringes of each, mix, pour, let set, repeat. Set nose aside for 30 mins for it to do its final set and then went to weigh it.

This is where the O Henry hit the fan, and a little panic set in. I had weighed the whole rocket before starting on this. 7lb exactly. Worked out the needed nose weight through the CG etc. Weighed the nose cone before starting on this so that I had a ref point. Nose was .8lb before, 2lb afterwards. Erm.. WOT??? I added .8lb lead to a .8lb nose cone, where is the other .4lb from? DOH, foam, all-thread and bulkhead. I had missed my aim of 8lb rocket and soared over that to 8.5lb. My head started to get that panic sensation. Was I going to have to excavate foam from the inside? Buy another nose? ARGGGHHH

A coffee helped. So did running the numbers through Rocksim again. I originally estimated this beastie to be 7-8lb, that was before build. After making up the MMT's I redid my estimation to be 7.5lb to 8lb, so 8.5lb isn't too bad, and definitely not a complete overbuild. This does though mean that I have to redo the numbers on thrust to weight.

Rocket now weighs 8.6lb nearly completely and with all laundry etc inside. That's 137.6oz, say 140 for ease. At 7.5:1 it means I need 272.45 Newtons, divide by 2 for dual motor, that's around 140 N/s needed on each motor.
What fits? H143 - which with two in the rocket would up the weight to 9.91lb, round to 10. 10lb rocket needs 311.38N, so that H143 couldn't manage it. Now I know the ball park, work backwards.
Step to H152, 2*152 = 304N, which would life 156.21oz, 9.76lb - Absolute minimum set there.
Step to 200 x 2, 400N would lift 12.85lb, much nicer allowance.

DSCF1383_resize.jpg

DSCF1384_resize.jpg

DSCF1389_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Build looks great, keep up the good work! Those LED strips are really cool, are the flexible?

Anything interesting?
Just some strange looking people launching rockets. Gary sent out a primarily launch report.
I had three flights: Small Endeavor on a H170M, LOC HiTek on a G75M, and the Madcow Frenzy on a I327DM. Yea, all sparky motors. Figured I'd take advantage of the wet sage.

Rustoleum Real Orange, and Purple. Main body etc, purple, inside of fins orange. That specific shade of orange is nice and bright, should get good reflection off the LED's if I install them. The purple is a beautiful deep shade. May even get the canards done orange.

Why? Coz those were some of the rattle cans on dent sale in Home Depot today. $3/can, Rustoleum 2x coverage. Grabbed a can of each.

Last edited:
Back