Got a 3D printer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hello all-

I currently have parts for an upscale Centuri Orion. I contacted Balsa Machining and eRockets to see if they could turn me a cone for it. Looks like I am out of the loop, as BMS has not turned cones in 10 years (at least what he told me).

Anyway, I have a photo of what I am making below. I have also attached a .pdf of the cone specs. If anyone has a 3D printer and is interested, please let me know what you would charge for 2 cones. They must have a shock cord attachment point though. Hoping for the best.....

Thanks
Andrew

Orion2 upscale.jpg

Attachments

• Orion NC Specs.pdf
    216.5 KB · Views: 15
I’ve got 12 more hours or so on an 56 horn print once it’s done I could help you out. But it would be in PLA

I’ve got 12 more hours or so on an 56 horn print once it’s done I could help you out. But it would be in PLA

Thanks!
What is PLA? is it a good material for a 3" nose cone?
Andrew

Attachments

• E0C9AA53-80F7-4E4E-945A-4B8DC8AF4111.jpeg
    E0C9AA53-80F7-4E4E-945A-4B8DC8AF4111.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 8A4ADBF7-2E61-49B1-812E-6A7E28C24DF8.jpeg
    8A4ADBF7-2E61-49B1-812E-6A7E28C24DF8.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
You might get more traction / hits if you posted in the "3D" forum.. CWBullet can definitely help you.

You are missing a dimension (the smaller dia of the part that goes into the tube) I would assume 3.00" or 2.90" or so.. Or, give the tube ID or tube wall thickness to work it out.

You are also asking someone to create the .STL file (typically done in CAD) - what the 3D printer needs to print the part.

A hole to accept a screw-eye would be your better choice for shock-cord attachment.. easy & easy to print

You might get more traction / hits if you posted in the "3D" forum..

You are missing a dimension (the smaller dia of the part that goes into the tube) I would assume 3.00" or 2.90" or so.. Or, give the tube ID or tube wall thickness to work it out.

You are also asking someone to create the .STL file (typically done in CAD) - what the 3D printer needs to print the part.

A hole to accept a screw-eye would be your better choice for shock-cord attachment.. easy & easy to print

I will post in the 3D print forums if it does not work out or if Jbrracer does not want to do it.
I am indeed aware of the need to create a .STL file. This is why I initially asked what someone would charge for making this part.
I would assume their price would include the time for creating the file, materials, printing, and then shipping.
I will also include the ID of the airframe (standard LOC 3") when I communicate with Jbrracer. Please let me know if I have missed anything else.

Thank you for your time and input.

Andrew

I will post in the 3D print forums if it does not work out or if Jbrracer does not want to do it.
I am indeed aware of the need to create a .STL file. This is why I initially asked what someone would charge for making this part.
I would assume their price would include the time for creating the file, materials, printing, and then shipping.
I will also include the ID of the airframe (standard LOC 3") when I communicate with Jbrracer. Please let me know if I have missed anything else.

Thank you for your time and input.

Andrew

Starting fusion 360 now, I have 3in loc tube here for a test fit.
Ill message you shortly with a photo of the cad file.
Ill design print and ship to you for the cost of a spool of PLA. (ill send you a link) and cost of shipping to you.
EST to ship out monday tuesday if no issues arise.
Ill ship it to you via ups or fedex your choice but usps has lost my business, thanks to the post master general.

They will be white or grey/silver depending on what printer finish first.

Starting fusion 360 now, I have 3in loc tube here for a test fit.
Ill message you shortly with a photo of the cad file.
Ill design print and ship to you for the cost of a spool of PLA. (ill send you a link) and cost of shipping to you.
EST to ship out monday tuesday if no issues arise.
Ill ship it to you via ups or fedex your choice but usps has lost my business, thanks to the post master general.

They will be white or grey/silver depending on what printer finish first.

WOWZERS....this is fast. I was hoping to have some sort of rough idea on how much it will cost prior to you investing your time. As I see a spool of PLA can range from $8.49 to $40.00. Please PM me. THANKS!
Andrew

Hi Folks,

first, can I suggest abs filament for the part? That material is more robust and a bit more shatterproof than pla.

second, if you use rocksim there is a file export capability that allows you to generate an .stl file from your simulation model. So, you won’t need fusion 360 or tinker as - just yet.

if you can’t find someone to do it, I volunteer - on the understanding that it will take a while for the carrier pigeon to deliver it to you from Australia.

You have to watch those carrier pigeons. They are likely to stop in Hawaii, hock the postage and then seek to go into retirement. Just sayin’.

cheers

Done

Attachments

• 6B0BF302-EE99-49EE-8BDB-2D3F72ADFED9.jpeg
    6B0BF302-EE99-49EE-8BDB-2D3F72ADFED9.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 14
  • 08C303C0-0745-4824-8AB9-3E2CFCA7B010.jpeg
    08C303C0-0745-4824-8AB9-3E2CFCA7B010.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 15
  • 26398B5E-97BB-4A3C-87F9-7F9AAB8F5C9A.jpeg
    26398B5E-97BB-4A3C-87F9-7F9AAB8F5C9A.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 16