Gorilla glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
My wife picked me up some of this stuff at Home Depot the other day. Has anyone ever used it? The instructions say to prep the surfaces with a bit of water first. (???)

Would it primarily be used for bonding parts or would it make good fin fellets too?

We just had this conversation in the Techniques forum, and several other threads. Check the Search button..
in Very short, Great woodworkers glue.. Not worth 2 cents for rocketry. Well mostly ....Read the other threads.

I have not tried it myself but I have read alot about it on a wookworkers forum I frequent

and these guys are really serious about glue !!

from what I've read,,wet the surfaces to be bonded ,,the wetter, the deeper the glue will penetrate...The amount between the joint (the clamp pressure) really effects the strength(I'm sure it is plenty strong anyways!).
contrary to popular belief...It is not a gap filler ,,voids result in a weaker joint

It chemicaly reacts, and foams...the foam can be removed with a knife or chisel type tool fairly easily than sanded .it takes stain well and blends very well (not so important to rockets ...heh )

sounds like strong stuff !

Originally posted by Micromister
We just had this conversation in the Techniques forum, and several other threads. Check the Search button..
in Very short, Great woodworkers glue.. Not worth 2 cents for rocketry. Well mostly ....Read the other threads.

I think Elmers has a similar glue(PRO BOND). If it is the same, I like the stuff but it has it's application, you can't use it just anywhere. I only use it around motor mounts and then only sparingly. It tends to foam and expand and sometimes that's a good thing. I like to smear it around where I anchor kevlar to motor mounts and it's great for making fillets around centering rings.
However, I would not use it to attach fins or make fillets around fins. Just around the motor mount for me... Motor mount for Farside X and Kevlar!

In this pic, I have already put three dabs of "Pro Bond" in the center hole and at each point where the engine tubs touch. Notice the foaming. Gives nice structure I think.
Second coat of glue around engine mount...don't use too much!

Back