Goonies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to finish thes?
For sure. After all I promised in post 32.
Need a couple of weeks to fill, primer, paint and decal 8 Goony rockets in between builds.
BTW here's a sign of old age:
I ordered parts to clone the Semroc Saki and Snake Jumper Groonies a few days ago.
Was rummaging through one of my build piles yesterday and found the parts already bagged!
So I guess I'll have the parts for a couple of Groony scratchers. 😄
Laters.

Last edited:
If you haven’t seen the goonie history these posts show the original names and some artwork of the proposed original Estes goonies before marketing changed them to fish and bunnies.

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=26751&postcount=159
https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showpost.php?p=26003&postcount=119
I think it would be fun to recreate the two other original designs (Semroc did the other two) based on the original Art. Even Semroc’s recreations were chill compared to the original over the top art.

So that explains why the Saki and Ruskie resemble the Cloud Hopper and Zoom Broom!
Maybe I'll do a Groony DerVolksbuzzen and Sopwitter.
Parts should come in on Tues.
Thanks 5X7.

OK now the wheels are turning.
Looks like there might have been a Red Baron triwing Goony in the works.
(Look at the picture of the Sopwitter).
Missile Toe/Volksbuzzen was obviously a goony V1 buzz bomb.
I think I'll try scratching a Red Baron goonie.
Laters.

Well, since I found 'em in my build pile I might as well add them on to this thread:
Semroc Saki and Snake Jumper.
Didn't get them while they were in production cuz I was building the Estes DOM Kamikaze Baka and the Saki looked like that. Also already built the Evel Knievel Sky Cycle so wasn't motivated to get the Snake Jumper.
But building these now will complete the Semroc Groony collection.
Da Guv extended the stay at home (or as he calls it, safer at home) order till the end of June, so I have plenty of time. BTW don't you love these euphemisms?🙄 Will make a big dent in my build piles if I don't go stir crazy first.
Anyway.....
#9 - Semroc Saki (clone)
Parts:
0524201400[1].jpg

All parts from erockets many moons ago.
Saki was OOP so ordered parts to clone it.
Clay weight is .5 oz. (not shown).
Instructions downloaded from the old Semroc website.
TBC

Last edited:
Looking great as always.

I like your tip CA/central wood glue butter idea, may try that. Concur that, especially with a wood glue fillet after initial tack, you are not losing much if anything in strength—- those are big fins with long root surfaces for attachment. Do you sand off the glassine of the body tubes?

You clearly aren’t a fan of papering fins or CWFing before attachment, but what you do works.

Seems these rockets would be good candidates for pistons or plungers or plugs or some other sort of protection device between motor mount and chute, the short wide barrels makes standard wadding a challenge (at least with cellulose dog barf, maybe if you burrito your chute in standard tissue wadding you may have more success.)

Motor mount is assembled.
Both tails are glued onto the stabilizer.
And both halves of the cockpit canopy are glued together.
0524202154[1].jpg

The canopy halves started separating and warping, so I placed them under a weight..
0524202202[1].jpg

TBC

For balsa and basswood plys (plies?) I glue the pieces and stick them between two hotel key cards with clothes pins all around. Also helps to masking tape at least two roughly orthogonal edges to prevent the parts sliding out of alignment.

Motor mount is glued into the body tube.
0525200939[1].jpg

Built stock following instructions. Motor tube is set deep presumably to aid in stability.
Inside of exposed end of tube coated with glue to protect from motor exhaust.

The dried canopy is glued to the stab and fillets are run.
0525200939a[1].jpg

Same as the Cloud Hopper, but slightly bigger.
More later.

Wings and stab were glued on the alignment lines.
0525201457[1].jpg

Display stand legs were again used for visual alignment.
0525201458[1].jpg

Launch lug was attached. After the tack joints dried everything was filleted and left to dry horizontally.
0525201506[1].jpg

While that was drying measured .5 oz. of clay weight and tamped that into the nose cone.
Thought I would have to pour in epoxy to lock the clay and secure the screw eye but I found a plywood disc exactly the right size under the junk on my work desk.
Validates my motto:"Don't clean up my desk, I know where everything is!"
0525201514[1].jpg

Recovery gear was installed, and assembly is complete.
0525201919[1].jpg

Size comparison of the Cloud Hopper and the Saki
0525201640[1].jpg

On to the final build (for now).
TBC

Thank you my friend.
Do you have any lockdown builds going on?
I build but I am not good at documenting. Doing lots of variations on a theme, helis and airbrake. Trying to come up with a design that is straightforward and relatively easy to emulate, hoping I can convince you or some other intrepid builder to try one!

#10 - Semroc Snake Jumper (clone)

Parts:
0526200710[1].jpg
Instructions from the old Semroc website.
Laser cut fiber fins. decals, body tube, centering rings and nose cone from erockets.
(Many months ago).
Other parts from my stash (launch lug, screw eye, chute and shroud lines, engine hook, etc.)

Motor mount is assembled and left to dry.
0526200730[1].jpg

TBC

Glued the motor mount into the tube.
Again, deeply set per instructions.
Glued on the rudders to the wings.
Glued the cockpit/tail fin to the tube.
Glued gussets on the wing/rudder joint and glued the wings to the tube.
Glued gussets to the wing/tube joint.
Sorry forgot to take pics.
And glued the launch lug to the tube and flanked it with the four "tires".
When tack glue joint dried, filleted everything and left to dry horizontally overnight.
0526201706[1].jpg

Finishing up tomorrow.
Good night.

Nose weight and screw eye epoxied into the nose cone.
Recovery gear assembled.
Assembly done.
0527200712[1].jpg

Comparison of the Semroc X2 Sky Cycle and the Snake Jumper

0527200710[1].jpg

Finishing and a group update shot in several days.
Will be doing a lot of sanding in the meantime.;)

The thing that bugs me about the snake jumper is that the instructions call for the launch lug and wheels to be so far back that it doesn't balance when it's sitting horizontal. The Sky Cycle did.

#10 - Semroc Snake Jumper (clone)

Parts:
View attachment 418359
Instructions from the old Semroc website.
Laser cut fiber fins. decals, body tube, centering rings and nose cone from erockets.
(Many months ago).
Other parts from my stash (launch lug, screw eye, chute and shroud lines, engine hook, etc.)

Motor mount is assembled and left to dry.
View attachment 418362

I had the original. It landsharked on me, which was somewhat amusing as it was after all roughly designed as a motorcycle!

TBC

1. Blue painters' tape. Pulls off without pulling paint.
2. Cheapest masking tape I can find.
3. Scotch tape in a pinch.
4. Been meaning to experiment with green Frog tape.
I've read that it reacts with the moisture in latex paint to seal off the edge.
So I'm thinking that if you lay down the tape and moisten the edge with a damp brush it might work with spray can enamel. Haven't tried it yet.

1. Blue painters' tape. Pulls off without pulling paint.
2. Cheapest masking tape I can find.
3. Scotch tape in a pinch.
So I'm thinking that if you lay down the tape and moisten the edge with a damp brush it might work with spray can enamel. Haven't tried it yet.
https://www.frogtape.com/why-choose-frogtape

Unfortunately the narrowest Frog Tape is 24mm (.94"). I wish they made it in a 1/2" width.

I use Tamiya for all my fine-edge work, blue tape and/or Frog tape to fill in the large areas.

I've been happy with the Tamiya and have had no reason to experiment further, although @hcmbanjo 's use of Scotch tape intrigues me.

Back