Goonies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After fillets dried recovery gear was assembled.
0519200529[1].jpg

And assembly is complete!
0519200530[1].jpg

Will update with a group shot of the finished set in a couple of weeks (I promise).

Meanwhile while rummaging through my build pile(s) last night I found a couple of bagged parts/instructions. While they are not part of the original Estes Goonybirds they do fit the genre:
1. Excelsior Rockets Kram: This is a goony version of the Estes Astron Mark II. Plan pack includes parts list, decals and instructions. Kitbashed from a Baby Bertha.
2. Semroc Li'l Ivan (clone): This is a retro repro of the Centuri Li'l Ivan. This is clearly a Centuri response to the Estes Goonybirds, complete with over the top decals from the Cold War era.

Will be adding these builds to the thread.

TBC

These are really cool, looking good.

Only suggestion I have is maybe a little anti-zipper patch of paper or tape on the Kevlar near the edge of the body tube, but these should probably be easy to get the chute to pop at pretty slow speeds and not much to worry about zippering.

2. Semroc Li'l Ivan (clone): This is a retro repro of the Centuri Li'l Ivan. This is clearly a Centuri response to the Estes Goonybirds, complete with over the top decals from the Cold War era.

I love my Li'l Ivan from Semroc. That decal is so cool! It's a great flier too. I've got an upscale nosecone to make a Bt-80 version too. I just need to get the decals for it. Hopefully Sandman will open back up and I can get one made up.

I've been building the Gooneys during the Lockdown too. I've only done three, though, the ones I had when I was a kid. Galaxy Guppy, Zoom Broom, and Cloud Jumper. I also finished up my Semroc Snake Jumper too.

#7 - Excelsior Rocketry Kram

As mentioned this is a goony version of the Estes Astron Mark II
Parts:
0519201227[1].jpg

Parts from a Baby Bertha kit
18mm motor mount
Fins traced from supplied pattern onto 3/32" balsa stock.
Like the Mark II, separation will be mid-point with streamer recovery.
Need to find or make a BT-60 coupler.
TBC

I've been building the Gooneys during the Lockdown too. I've only done three, though, the ones I had when I was a kid. Galaxy Guppy, Zoom Broom, and Cloud Jumper. I also finished up my Semroc Snake Jumper too.
Goonys and Groonies are a kick aren't they?
Ordered the parts today to clone the Snake Jumper and Saki.
Saki decals are no longer available, will have to improvise.
Cheers.

The motor mount is assembled and left to dry.
0520200029[1].jpg

I found the coupler. Apparently when I was bagging the parts eons ago I put it in the body tube.
So the Baby Bertha 7.5" body tube is cut into two tubes, 3.5" and 4".
The coupler is glued into the longer tube.
The dried motor mount is glued in also.
Fins are traced from the template and cut out.
Used a jig and glued them to the fin can.
0520200327[1].jpg
TBC

Launch lug was glued on and everything was filleted.
Cut and shortened base of nose cone and glued it into the upper tube.
Streamer is attached to a loop on the shock cord and shock cord is attached to the rocket with two tri-fold mounts.
0520201124[1].jpg

I used Dura Lar streamer material. Highly visible and reflective.
Also doubles as simulated corrugations on smaller scale models like the MA and LJ II in ant scale..
It's a good idea to put a coat of glue over the tri-fold anchor. The spot where the shock cord comes out of the anchor is subject to a lot of wear and tear.

So assembly of the Kram is complete.
0520201128[1].jpg

18mm power, and quite a bit bigger than the original Goonies.
On to the final build.
TBC

Ya know you're right, that is kind of stubby. I don't know what the story is about that model. Estes called it "sport scale" in the catalog, but it sure doesn't look it...

#8 - Semroc Li'l Ivan (clone)
This will be a quick build.
Parts
0520201509[1].jpg
Instructions from the old Semroc website.
Laser cut fins and decal from erockets.
Body tube, nose cone and shock cord from an Estes Jetliner kit.
Chute will be replaced with a streamer
13mm motor tube, engine hook, and centering rings will be replaced with 18 mm parts from my stash.

Assembled the motor mount
0520201700[1].jpg

While that was drying marked and extended fin lines and glued fins on with the jig.
0520201848[1].jpg

Will let that dry overnight.
TBC

Launch lug attached, fillets were run.
0521200754[1].jpg

Since this is an 18mm mount, I added the Jetliner's clay weight and foamed it in.
No clay weight in stock instructions, but an added margin of stability if I put in a D.
Just kidding.
0521200755[1].jpg
BTW there is a discussion on YORF about new Q-Jets in the works using White Lightening propellant.
C15 and D20 I believe.

The recovery gear is assembled
0521200756[1].jpg

Close-up of my SOP streamer attachment. I use grommets rather than tape.
No worries about the streamer coming off mid flight as with tape.
0521200801[1].jpg

And Li'l Ivan assembly is done.
0521200917[1].jpg

As mentioned, group shot of the finished rockets in about a couple of weeks.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back