"Going to the Darkside"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, in motorcycle forums "Going to the Darkside" means using an automobile tire as the rear tire of your particular bike. The people for it say it's great, better traction, longer lasting, and less expensive. The people against it argue that it's dangerous, particularly when cornering.

I've seen the phrase "Going to the Darkside" used here, in the Rocketry Forum, but I don't know what it means in terms of rockets.

Anyone care to elaborate?? Thanks in advance.

When I have heard going to the darkside in reference to rockets, it has been from the pyro guys talking about building firework rockets. It is a common enough phrase among the PGI and regional firework guilds the builders tend to know what it was referring to. (and the darkside has cookies too. Seriously, at the PGI rocket range.)

The Dark Side of model rocketry is simply doing things that some may see as UNNATURAL in order to fly the rockets you love. For some it might include widely spaced pods, for others the abandonment of traditional, proven 3-4FNC designs.

It can start as innocently placed fins at the front of a scratch built, paper towel tubed rocket to make it look cool. The young Padawan makes their way to the RSO table only to be rejected and sent away to that old guy in back to get it flyable.

Just say No. The gateway drug to the Dark Side is oddrocs. Anything funny looking that will immediately draw the RSO stink eye. A young Padawan once tried to fly a very funny looking soccer field rocket and was required by the Jedi to reduce 29mm to 24mm and use a D12. It did not even move off the pad. Yes! A good lesson to the lad about safety and acceptable designs. A nice chuckel to be had, surely setting him on the straight and narrow! He eventually found his way to the oddroc scum and successfuly flew it on a composite G with shortest delay possible. Got his Jr Level one and flew it higher on an H. Base drag was his friend, trust in thrust, the path was set.

For ME PERSONALLY, it all started with PM's to Douglas Shrox about airplane rockets. He warned me of THE DARK ARTS of rocket design. I went on to WWI Triplanes, Biplanes, WWII fighters and bombers and many other Dark Side oddroc abominations. I once used the term "mindsim" and it frankly did not go over that well when first uttered at the RSO table. Those were the truly fun times.

Last edited:
When I have heard going to the darkside in reference to rockets, it has been from the pyro guys talking about building firework rockets. It is a common enough phrase among the PGI and regional firework guilds the builders tend to know what it was referring to. (and the darkside has cookies too. Seriously, at the PGI rocket range.)
The pyros are the worst Dark Siders. Strobe rockets, girandolas, illegal effects in flight, homebrew BP motors, explosions with zero recovery or reuse. RUN, DON'T WALK AWAY whenever such vile utterances meet the ears of a virtuous model rocketeer! :)

So.... Oddrocs are "Darkside", which makes me think I was born to be a Darksider. On my 2nd trip to a launch I brought a plastic "Crayon Penny Bank" I had found at a $1 store, and modded it for a D12-0 and added some fins. I told the RSO that recovery was going to be lawn dart recovery and he promptly told me to get lost.

That's actually a good thing and something I have built into my rockets. Display the header, then make an explosion big enough the spent motor tube and stick come down in small pieces instead of lawn darting. Safety first.
When they had the high power three seconds of hell contest there were some lovely big birds that came down in shreds. THAT WAS ACCEPTABLE BECAUSE IT WAS ROCKET SCIENCE! A big difference it was! Rocket science rules!

So.... Oddrocs are "Darkside", which makes me think I was born to be a Darksider. On my 2nd trip to a launch I brought a plastic "Crayon Penny Bank" I had found at a $1 store, and modded it for a D12-0 and added some fins. I told the RSO that recovery was going to be lawn dart recovery and he promptly told me to get lost.

I bet you could fly it with rear motor ejection and a streamer.

Good for that RSO! A true Jedi being a good influence and crushing your Dark Side temptations. You must repent. Stay to the Light young lad.

Actually I thought that was @lakeroadster who was clustering tractor motors, but then again, I can't remember what I had for lunch. And "tractor motors" make me think we're at a farm, so clearly, my mind has become a desolate wasteland.
Lakeroadster was a recent BAR having impure thoughts and came to the forum for knowledge and advice. He has since been spiraling towards becoming the successor to a long line of un or little known sith that came before him. First to officially adopt the term "oddroc scum." :)

Recognize the Dark Side when you see finless rockets, excessive nose weight, motors in the wrong places or canted at weird angles. Fins up front are not good, pods are a sure give away. Anything funny looking and not provided by a trusted kit manufacturer.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a joke.
An eccentric rocket scientist held a news conference to announce that he had built a rocket that would land on the sun.
"But sir," said one of the journalists.
"What about the heat?"
To which the scientist responded " Not to worry, I've got it covered".
"We're going to the darkside of the sun."
"And we're going at night."
😁

Back