God I hate trees

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rocket has served me well with over 30 flights in different configurations. Not so upset about losing the rocket as I am the electronics, JLCR and a Flightsketch Mini

The rocket has served me well with over 30 flights in different configurations. Not so upset about losing the rocket as I am the electronics, JLCR and a Flightsketch Mini

Is the JLCR attached to the NC or shock cord? Easier to retrieve if attached to NC, maybe. If you send Russ the photo, he'll mail you a new Mini for $20. The Mini has an auto shut off after 4 hours. Did you download the data?

https://flightsketch.com/store/policy/
Shouldn't be too hard to pull out of the tree, assuming it's less than 50 feet up. You could also use archery using a PVC pipe, rubber tubing, dowels and string. Do your best to avoid the powerline...

If only cats could be trained. Can't those climb trees or something.

Here's a tool you can DIY to cut off a branch root in a very tall tree. (not sure what the " 48" " is about. pretty sure it can be as long as long as you want.)

s-l640.jpg

Here's a tool you can DIY to cut off a branch root in a very tall tree. (not sure what the " 48" " is about. pretty sure it can be as long as long as you want.)

View attachment 471511

Love it, BUT

1. Not my tree
2. My luck, it will fall a foot & get stuck in the next branch

Love it, BUT

1. Not my tree
2. My luck, it will fall a foot & get stuck in the next branch

1. Tree ownership is indeed an issue.
2. Cutting two branches is also possible. You just to change you mindset and say "Hey! How about cutting branches off a tall tree with a strange tool today! If I'm lucky, I might win a rocket!"

I have at least an 18' tree saw. I wouldn't use it to cut a tree, just cut a rocket.

I'm making peace with the fact that each rocket is a single use item. After that it's bonus time. It's only money.

My 1/8 nitro buggy nukes $100 in parts every race.

Oh also, I once cut down a small straight tree, cut off all its branches (to make a poll longer than anything available at stores), and fixed a buck saw to the end of it. That worked pretty well. I think it reached over 30 ft.

None of this was for rockets though, just other projects I won't get into.

View attachment 471511
Sorry but you’re not gonna make friends here with this suggestion, especially the druids.

Was up by Medicine Bow Wyoming this weekend and witnessed rocket eating sage brush! A rocket separated and back slid into a 1 foot high sage Grove. The rocket was painted light green with yellowish Stegosarus fins. Could not find it. I'm sure the Jackelopes or rattle bugs have it by now. I told the Space Cowboy rocket flyer that the low landers back East will have no sympathy for you, having lost yer rocket in one foot high sage! But it has a lovely sent blowing in the clean dry air.
20210703_113421.jpg

Was up by Medicine Bow Wyoming this weekend and witnessed rocket eating sage brush! A rocket separated and back slid into a 1 foot high sage Grove. The rocket was painted light green with yellowish Stegosarus fins. Could not find it. I'm sure the Jackelopes or rattle bugs have it by now. I told the Space Cowboy rocket flyer that the low landers back East will have no sympathy for you, having lost yer rocket in one foot high sage! But it has a lovely sent blowing in the clean dry air.
View attachment 471661

I don't know about others, but as a resident of NE PA, I would KILL for a field like that

spent two hours throwing a soccer ball at my son's tree-snagged rocket when he was in elementary school. embarrassing to admit, but retrieving that rocket was one of my life's greatest achievements.
“Wrist Rocket” sling shot, 1oz “egg” fishing weight and either kite string or Kevlar line (100lb). With practice you can reach up 80-100 ft. Then take 5mm Dacron line or thicker attach it to the free end, pull it up and snap the branch. Have retrieved 2 this way, one when it drifted to the top of a 100ft sycamore tree. Going today to retrieve my old Estes Patriot.

“Wrist Rocket” sling shot, 1oz “egg” fishing weight and either kite string or Kevlar line (100lb). With practice you can reach up 80-100 ft. Then take 5mm Dacron line or thicker attach it to the free end, pull it up and snap the branch. Have retrieved 2 this way, one when it drifted to the top of a 100ft sycamore tree. Going today to retrieve my old Estes Patriot.
Now, that reminds me of something I just put together...

Take a look at the JARC-anTennA-Launcher Kit

I am able to send a line to close to 100 ft. or higher using 40 to 50 PSI. Only drawback is the projectile is a chunk of PVC with end-caps that could conceivably wreck a rocket, if you hit it.

One word: Revenge

Now the trees stand scared in MDRA land.....

Sorry but you’re not gonna make friends here with this suggestion, especially the druids.

I don't have the slightest clue who "the druids" are, and I don't think you understand why I'm here but that's ok. No need to apologize. 😁

Now, that reminds me of something I just put together...

Take a look at the JARC-anTennA-Launcher Kit

I am able to send a line to close to 100 ft. or higher using 40 to 50 PSI. Only drawback is the projectile is a chunk of PVC with end-caps that could conceivably wreck a rocket, if you hit it.
Brilliant and so cheap ! I’ve been thinking of pvc and a valve arrangement, just sitting on the back burner. I regularly have to buy new surgical tubing for my wrist rocket, the minute you see a crack develop the tubing is in the rubbish bin. I’ve been smacked a few times and it leaves a mark. I’m ordering one of those tonight. Thanks for posting.

i'd like to share my own personal research. After years of both extensive field testing, and working in the model rocketry garage (my house) i've come to the conclusion that fully 98% of lost rockets are directly caused by launching. the small remainder being due to feng shui entranced living partners and natural disasters. i hope this is helpful.

I don't have the slightest clue who "the druids" are, and I don't think you understand why I'm here but that's ok. No need to apologize. 😁
I'm surprised they haven't chastised you yet. Personally, I think a little horticulture is fine. I've been doing the Parks a favor eliminating some of their smaller branches trying to pull rockets out of the monkey pod trees. I have yet to get a thank you from them.

Latest posts

Back