Go-To Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
Reaction score
Odd message perhaps - but for those of you who have launched everything you are allowed to - what is your go-to- motor? The one that if you just need to put something in the air, what do you use? Hands down, mine is the G-80 Aerotech

Hmmm that’s tuff
G77 aerotech
H133 cti
H225 cti

There’s more but these are forsure

For low power, C6-5. Every 18mm rocket I fly gets a C6-5. Buy it in bulk and fly it in bulk.

For 24mm, my 2 go to motors are the F39 and F24. Good bang for your buck. My Estes Hojo screams with a F39.

The G76G or G64W is my go to motor for mid power rockets. Good bang for your buck, and it fits most of my 29mm rockets. I could send my heavier ones to 1k or my sport birds shy of 4k. I don't even want to know how many of each I've burned.

For my lower side high power rockets, I love the H128W or H165R. Sometimes the H238T as well. Good bang for your buck and works for most of my rockets. Definitely my go-to motors

For medium size high power, you can't go wrong with the 38/360 loads, specifically the I245G. I absolutely love it. If I hadn't veered off into more EX stuff, I would only fly I245s. My first 38mm motor was a I245. So was my second, third, and fourth...

For the longer 38mm motors, I love the J350W. Works great in heaver 38 MMT birds and is a great motor to adapt a 54 MMT to. My go-to motor for a gentle flight on some of the shinier rockets. The J570W is also great for pushing some of my Wildman Jr kits. Definitely my go-to motor for altitude.

For the 54mm range, you can't beat a K550W. However, I do tend to launch a larger variety of propellants in 54mm range. If I had to pick one, definitely the K550W.

For larger, I just change it up each time. I got a L850W on order right now and plan to try out the L1256SW and L1940X for the first time after the black Friday sales. L850W and L900DM are honorable mentions, and would be my go-to if I was limited to only one motor.

Low power C6-5
Mid AT G76G
High power is a toss up between AT I180W or the awesome Loki I377. Both Hazmat free.

For 18mm C5-3…lots of lifting power for LPR….otherwise D12-3/5 as most of my LPR is 24mm D12 range….and I would like to get them back.

C6-5 for sure. I used to fly a lot of D12s but now they've been far eclipsed by E12s. And I really like the H238.

B6-4s are perfect for model rockets at the local middle school.

I've not been a BAR long, but I've used half a dozen F24Ws, love those motors.

I haven't burned many duplicates in high power. Loki Spitfire loads are some of my favorites so far!

18mm: B6-4
24mm: D12-5 ... I burn a LOT of these!
38mm: I284W ... a nearly full "I" with that throaty roar and white shuttle-like smoke ... definitely my favorite go-to reload

Last edited:
H-550.

I can put in a 4" LOC Goblin, a 4" Pterodactyl Jr, or almost anything with a 38mm hole, including an Estes Big Daddy (3") . It leaves the ground with authority, although the thrust period is not very long.

Very Satisfying.

Difficult question as I had never really given it thought. Really depends on where I am.
HPR would have to be H250G
MPR don't really have a favorite, but I do fly a lot of F35 and G64
LPR, probably A3T.

As @T-Rex noted, it depends on the site.

These days in my 18mm rockets (which is most of my fleet) it's the Q-Jet C12-6FJ or good ol' Estes C6-5. I buy both in bulk packages.

For 24mm my most flown is the same as several others: Estes D12-5, though I really like the F39 in the 24/40 case where it's appropriate.

For 29mm my most flown is probably the Estes F15-6 or -8, though less so now that you can't get them at Hobby Lobby anymore. In larger models (MPR-types) I favor the 2-grain 29mm CTI G88 Smoky Sam and G83 Blue Streak or their three-grain counterparts.

I have nothing bigger.

Back