Gan Israel Summer Camp 2012!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well needless to say we got back from NARAM and I had little time for resting... The Monday after NARAM I had to begin a week long (full days) session at the Gan Israel Summer Camp in Brighton, MA

This is my second year with them and we are putting together a great program.

This year I had 115 kids from ages 5-11 and about an even mix of boys and girls. I met with the girls (3 groups) in the mornings and the boys (3 groups) in the afternoons. We built for a couple of days, then paint and some lecture before flying everything on Friday.

It was a FULL week! (made even MORE full from having to get ready for Camp Doucet in Nashua, NH the following week... More on this in another thread LOL)

I was tickled with how well everyone did, even the very young. The counselors were a great help and the kids, while rowdy at times, all had a ball and all got their work done.

In the end we launched everyones rocket. We had ONE separate at ejection and come down in two pieces (no damage) and two that landed in trees. That's about as close to complete success as I would ever hope for with such a diverse group in an intercity setting! :)

I have a rather lengthy photo album that you can find by Clicking This Link.

It is broken up by boys and girls and I separate the 3 groups by color coding. The younger kids built the Whatchamacallit and the older kids built the Triskelion kit.

It was great fun and I can't wait for next year!

Enjoy the photo albums and, if you ever get the chance, bring rocketry to a group of kids. It is well worth the effort!
jim

Last edited:
Very cool Jim. I would love to get involved in doing stuff like this (have been asked to assist both the Boy Scouts and Civil Air Patrol) but sadly I just don't have the time.

Well needless to say we got back from NARAM and I had little time for resting... The Monday after NARAM I had to begin a week long (full days) session at the Gan Israel Summer Camp in Brighton, MA... Enjoy the photo albums and, if you ever get the chance, bring rocketry to a group of kids. It is well worth the effort!
jim

Jim, it's really hard to tell from the photos who had the most fun -- you or the kids!! I think those smiles tell it all though, and of all the wonderful pictures of great moments captured with the boys and the girls, the photo which you titled "Seeing that, ALL the girls wanted to show off their progress! LOL" really tugs at the heart. Could we be looking at some of the engineers, flight controllers and astronauts of the future? I'd sure like to think so.

THANKS!!

Jim, it's really hard to tell from the photos who had the most fun -- you or the kids!! I think those smiles tell it all though, and of all the wonderful pictures of great moments captured with the boys and the girls, the photo which you titled "Seeing that, ALL the girls wanted to show off their progress! LOL" really tugs at the heart. Could we be looking at some of the engineers, flight controllers and astronauts of the future? I'd sure like to think so.

THANKS!!

Hey, all I know is that one of my Boys & Girls Club kids from WAY back, who always had problems with his grades, came up to me last June to show me his final report card (he stayed back in class to speak with me in private about it). He had all A's and A+'s and had already been accepted into Embry Riddle for Aerospace Engineering.

Who'd'a thunk it??? LOL

Yeah, it's a good feeling when you find out about stuff like that
jim

Jim, I read this thread and was gonna comment on if you have had an Engineering student pop out yet...
Hey..even if one or two find Aerospace jobs that is proof positive of your tutelge efforts....It's not easy.
I have had 4 friends actually involved in Aerospace and USAF (Delta Rocket) here in Florida and they always asked if I had a cool Sugar Mama that would pay my rent in Cocoa Beach for a year.
I spent a few resume blitzes in Canaveral for Aerospace work and Television work.Even staying overnight to get work on my favorite coast.
Most times if you are first hired..you are first fired and will probably get a call back for work after a year or so....might be shut off completely by now.

I have done Astronomy outreach in several schools and in public and was stunned when I got feedback about "That Tall blonde guy that showed us those Moon craters and Jupiter and Saturn!"
Very cool when presented in front of fellow Astronomers during a meeting..made a non father feel good.

Back