G38s and F23s swelled shut???!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, I go to figure out which ignitors I a going to use for my G38 cluster this weekend and guess what? Screwed. They are all swelled shut. Or so it seems. All 8 of them. Ouch! Every BlackMax SU I have. Nothing will go past about 1 inch into the slot. Not wire, not the original copperheads, nada. All of them.

They are all out of the packages and all probably 10 years old. (Remember when you had to peel the labels to get them to fit? Those EconoJets!) Yes I know that is old and I should have used them sooner. Interestingly all the white lightning SU's I have like E15s, F25s, E30's, etc... are fine. Blue thunders seem fine. And my ONE old , same vintage F20 EconoJet is fine. Only these old BlackMax EconoJets seem hosed. I tried poking a thin piece of music wire to see if I could break through any small blockage, nada.

All the labels were peeled off years ago (so as to not have to mess with them on launch day). So I can't tell the lot numbers. They were store dry in a closed tackle box for years. :confused2: Drats.

I suppose I'll write Aerotech but I don't expect them to be replaced. It would be awesome if they did, but I'd be shocked.

Drats that's like $120 in useless motors... :mad::(

Last edited:
i have had some problems with old su motors loosing some umpfh with the bp charge.

I have sucessfully helped people ignite simlarly swelled shut old single use motors and reloads (including my own).

I carefully insert a rigid metal probe into the closed slot. Do not cut or drill a hole - simply (and carefully) force a rod into the slot to create a small opening. The rod can be a long nail or a leather punch or other rigid small diameter implement.

Once the probe is inserted and the sides are propped open, you can proceed one of two ways:

option 1) insert a copperhead or a Quest Q2G2 (your choice of length, but get them near the top of the motor). Then remove the tool and allow it to close back on the igniter.

option 2) Insert a small hollow tube next to the solid metal tool. Then insert the ingiter of your choice into this "applicator tube". Once the ingiter is in place, pull the applicator tube out.

You can also install your igniter "wet" using some magnelite pyrogen.

Thanks Fred! No harm in me trying. Maybe I can salvage a few. Not for clustering but just plain ole G rockets. Again, much thanks. I did write Aerotech... I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

Thanks Fred! No harm in me trying. Maybe I can salvage a few. Not for clustering but just plain ole G rockets. Again, much thanks. I did write Aerotech... I figured it couldn't hurt. :)

Make sure the older Aerotech motors have black powder in the ejection charge wells. The glue on the paper disc that holds the ejection charge in place gives out over time and the BP escapes.

I've got a selection of old Aerotech motors that are missing ejection charges. I use them in saucers.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Never had that problem with those motors, however have has a few G64s swell closed. I basically did what Fred suggested, however it was easier since the G64 is a reload. Same principle though.

Back