Fusion Breakthough

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
400MJ input to the laser produced ~3.5MJ of fusion reaction energy. Hardly a breakthrough. However it will go a long way to continue the grant funding gravy train.

On nuclear fusion, I'll be skeptical for some time to come. I recall in the mid-70s---published in Chemistry magazine---that the research suggested that controlled, useful fusion could be just a decade away.

A couple of years back a link from (I think) the Skunk Works or someplace similar was posted here. The claim was that they were working on a fusion reactor that could be hauled in the back of a large pickup truck. Lots of "oh boy!" and "wow!" Still waiting...

It think it's already been said on this thread. Fusion power has been 50 years away for the last 50 years. One huge hurdle, to my understanding, is that you need almost pure unobtainium to contain the reaction and harvest the heat.

Last edited:
It think it's already been said on this thread. Fusion power has been 50 years away for the last 50 years. One huge hurdle, to my understanding, is that you need almost pure unobtainium to contain the reaction and harvest the heat.
When you ask the question whether $1B should be invested in a space telescope, a particle accelerator, or trying to reach another planet, fusion research fits right in as a 4th option.

I'm not sure about pointing out a hurdle. I'd say it's about increasing the "energy out/energy in" ratio, and I'm fine with people doing this slowly and carefully over many years or decades.

Last edited:
When you ask the question whether $1B should be invested in a space telescope, a particle accelerator, or trying to reach another planet, fusion research fits right in as a 4th option.

I'm not sure about pointing out a hurdle. I'd say it's about increasing the "energy out/energy in" ratio, and I'm fine with people doing this slowly and carefully over many years or decades.
Very true. We are actually working for one group that has attracted a couple of billion in working capital. My point was, sometimes the obstacles aren't where people think they are.

Very true. We are actually working for one group that has attracted a couple of billion in working capital. My point was, sometimes the obstacles aren't where people think they are.

Or where the media is focused.

My concern with fusion has always been practical, as in how to handle the heat flux once you actually light the candle, but that problem occurs far later than a sustained reaction. When I see the temperatures thrown around, it makes my refractory metal nerves tingle well off the charts.

Back