Forum Games -- Best rocket names?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
This has always stumped me... I have a couple in my fleet that I like such as, "Oh the Carnage" and "Double Take", but in general most of my names are pretty lame. Personally I like this "public service" name I saw at a launch a while back...

009.JPG

Any other candidates for "best name"?

One of my recent rockets is aptly named "motor mounts are for sissys"

Alex

Many of my rockets are scale models, so obviously take their names from the originals. Not all the originals ever got past the drawing board. So, purely because of its name, Green Cheese is on my build list. :)

zombie.jpg My daughter named one her rockets "The Zombie" for a Halloween build and launch.

Just a few 'family friendly' names of past and present birds are:
Fear And Suspicious Trust (F.A.S.T)
Mach Turtle
NOAA'S Arc
SDS No. 2 (Soil Density Sampler)
Mirage Too
BlackOut (modded G-Force)
Piston Buggy (to be rebuilt as "The Wankel" after it's last core sample...)
All Cracked up
Pyrat II (ex motor carrier; pyrat=pyrotechnic ratios)
Sand Blaster
Ivanna White (as in "I wanna white rocket"..)
Hot Rod
Speedster
I can't believe it's not butter! (Shred Spread)
G-how you've changed! (Estes 'c' motor upgrade)

I have the "Hot Pink Suppository of Discomfort"
HPSD.jpg

And "Excess in Moderation" (from Doug Stanhope)
P1050540.jpg

-Ken

I'm a huge fan of Mel Brooks Movies, so I try to name all my Wildman line of rockets something from his movies. My Wildman DD is "Ludicrous Speed" (first pic below), with a minimum diameter booster, it's "Gone to Plaid" (rocket on the right in second pic). My L3 project is "High Anxiety". Still trying to figure out a name for my Extreme Wildman.

Attachments

• IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
I'm a huge fan of Mel Brooks Movies, so I try to name all my Wildman line of rockets something from his movies. My Wildman DD is "Ludicrous Speed" (first pic below), with a minimum diameter booster, it's "Gone to Plaid" (rocket on the right in second pic). My L3 project is "High Anxiety". Still trying to figure out a name for my Extreme Wildman.

Seems like the L3 should have been called "Count de Monet". It looks like you gotta thing for sparky motors, there should be a "Blazing Saddles" somewhere in there as well. It's good to be the King.

Seems like the L3 should have been called "Count de Monet". It looks like you gotta thing for sparky motors, there should be a "Blazing Saddles" somewhere in there as well. It's good to be the King.

Good advice, thanks! I forgot about History of the Word - Part 1 even though it's one of my favorite movies. Blazing Saddles would have been very appropriate for the DM Drag Race this past weekend. :cool:

it's "Gone to Plaid"

Now thats fast!! :)

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Mel Brooks Movies, so I try to name all my Wildman line of rockets something from his movies. [...] Still trying to figure out a name for my Extreme Wildman.

Fronkensteen

-- Roger

:rofl: (sorry, I actually shouldn't be laughing)

Most of mine are pretty generic, but I do have a few fun ones for my daughter's amusement...

Fluffy Bunny (pink Wildman DD)

Reinstate Pluto (in several sizes)

Swine Flew (piggy bank nose cone)

Anthropomorphize Everything​

and a few yet to be revealed...

Swirly

Joey​

Being an MLRS buff, I think Katyusha is the ultimate rocket name.
But usually, I just use really dry designation codes for my rockets like 18-1A (18 mm motor, design #1, revision A) for normal rockets, and [design series name] 18-1A for any specialized rockets. Right now I've only come up with the HALO series of rear eject models. I'm kicking around a couple of others, If they get off the drawing board, they'll probably be called corkscrew and surveyor...

Last edited:
Katyusha, now their is one I may steal from you.

Some of my more unusual rocket names:
0.6 Sigma - my company does a lot of 6 Sigma stuff so I named my Fliskits ACME Spitfire 0.6 Sigma
Brownian Motion
H.E.R.B. (full name Holy Exothermic Reaction Batman) - it has Batman style fins on it
Indestructable V
Long Shot - my tallest rocket at the time that I built it
The Polar Viper - it sported a decal of the snake in my avatar
Sheesh Kabob - A Tau Zero clone that I put shish kabob skewers on the fins instead of dowels
Ye Olde Amish Rocket - a Semroc Big Bertha covered in wood strips so the entire rocket looks like it is made of wood

In work:
Mr. Spock's Health Foods and Deep Space Gymansium - "Live Long and Perspire" (a very long name just to annoy our club's frequent LCO who always has to make comments before he launches rockets)
Thomas the Doubting Mantis or maybe The Agnostic Mantis (the logo will be a praying mantis that has issues with prayer)
Zippy the Hyperactive Slug (or maybe snail)

Being an MLRS buff, I think Katyusha is the ultimate rocket name.
But usually, I just use really dry designation codes for my rockets like 18-1A (18 mm motor, design #1, revision A) for normal rockets, and [design series name] 18-1A for any specialized rockets. Right now I've only come up with the HALO series of rear eject models. I'm kicking around a couple of others, If they get off the drawing board, they'll probably be called corkscrew and surveyor...
Ive got a couple named like that...
CRDR=Cold Rainy Day Rocket (that was the weather the day I started it)
XTF-18=experimental tube fin -18mm
Reputa the beautah=one UGLY Rocket!!!!!
I think I have better luck naming others rockets.
Alot of times Ill have a name when I start it and then it will get a different name after its built.

If I go with my model railroading instincts then the first HPR I build will have to be Goen Brokke & Fasste.

Good high altitude flight with a deployment failure - would that be a HANO (High Altitude NomOpening)?

Back