Florida Keys vacation - what to do?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
That's right, the wife & I have planes tickets to Miami, and 7 days in a rental car. The idea is to hit the Keys, and the Everglades. (And hopefully a day Tarpon fishing!!) April 6-13th..

Anyone make a reccomendation? Wher to stay, to eat, to sleeep, to see? To snorckle? To...?
Anything?
Anythign to stay away from?

Scuba if you are trained, or want to get trained.:)

Eat fresh seafood. Likely some of the best.

Key West in General. Yes KW can be very touristy. you can get as party crazy or mellow relaxed as you want. Specifically the Pier House. Self contained beach resort w/ several restaurants, bars and a spa on premise. The staff will bring you Bloody Mary's on the beach if you'd like or totally ignore you if that's your wish. Right off the main drag of Duval Street. Right next to Mallory Square where every sunset is like a festival. Neat stuff on Key West? Hemingway's house, Audobon's house, Eisenhower State Park. The southermost point in the U.S. and of course the natural beauty of the gulf of Mexico.

planet

https://www.pierhouse.com/index.shtml

Yeah, that tarpon feeidng is a must-do! looks like fun!

Nope, no scooba, bad ears. Can only snorkle, 5' is too deep to dive! :D

You can rent some jet ski's right by the pier, and they are pretty fun, especially when the water is rough. I was just there last week, but I only stayed a day because I was on a cruise.

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
That's right, the wife & I have planes tickets to Miami, and 7 days in a rental car. The idea is to hit the Keys, and the Everglades. (And hopefully a day Tarpon fishing!!) April 6-13th..

Anyone make a reccomendation? Wher to stay, to eat, to sleeep, to see? To snorckle? To...?
Anything?

Crazy...I am tentatively planning on going to Key West from the 5th-7th of April! It's either Key West or St. Augustine with a day trip to Kennedy Space Center. I think I might go to the Keys though. I need a vacation!

Have a cheeseburger in paradise?Waste away again in margaritaville?Pretend you're a big game hunter and write about it like Hemmingway?Have rooster for lunch?

Seriously,though,I would check out the houseboat rentals if the waters where right but then I'm partial to houseboats.It's like cruising around in your motel room.

Key West is awesome! IMHO the best place to stay there is at a Bed & Breakfast. There are many to choose from but just make sure that it's within a couple of blocks of Duval St, as that's where 98% of everything to see & do in KW. Hemingway's house is cool too.

One warning: KW is not a particularly "kid friendly" place to visit as residents there aren't shy about flaunting their sexuality. KW is known for having a very open-minded and liberal frame of mind. (How's that for posting on a family oriented website?) I think you get the idea.

It's a great drive down there but allow yourself plenty of time for the drive... With only one road getting in & out of there, one accident makes a huge impact quickly.

Have a great time!

Having been stationed in Key West -> What Lalligood said! There is a fair "alternative lifestyle community" there. This is their home and (I am dancing around political correctness here) after hours things can get a bit weird.

If you are fond of beer, I have been told I spent some very good times at a place called Turtle Krall," It used to be you got a card that you had punched as you imbibed your way around the world. I personally have no recollection of having made it more than halfway around.

One thing, as you are from the land up north where the sun is a bit weaker this time of year, keep in mind that the sun down there will rip the hide right off you if you are not careful. This I can painfully remember.

Guys, thanks all!! some great replies & ideas!

(now, to show the wife!!)

Nope, no kids. Have a few 'alternate' freinds, so that's cool too.

Seems we might just miss out on the Everglades!! :D:D

When we were there on our honeymoon back in 1989, Jimmy Buffett's restaurant was a pleasant surprise. Nothing fancy, just what the song says, a good cheeseburger. We weren't overly laden with funds, so we picked our meals carefully. After Buffett's the best meal we had was at Benihana. We also ate at a steak and seafood place on the east side of the island that was supposed to be wonderful, but in reality was Golden Corral with palm trees.
Check www.dine.com for food suggestions that aren't 16 years old. :D Make sure you catch the sunset show at least once. It's a bigger freak show than the NARAM beerloft.

Anything?

Airboat in the Everglades (Coopertown is the best).

In Everglades park: the tram to the observation tower at Shark River Valley. Take the road to Flamingio. Take the nature trails at Flamingo and marvel at the millions of crabs running around as thick as grasshoppers in an Iowa corn field.

Glass bottom boat from K.W. (watch someone else do the diving).

Eat dinner and watch the sun set at Sunset Pier (also K.W.).

Eat turtle and conch.

Find a tidal pool on one of the keys, set up the chairs, cooler and umbrella, and watch the life in it during an entire cycle of high to low to high tide (~12 hours). Because after all, a vacation is for relaxing.

Buy a conch shell with the tip cut off and learn how to blow it like a horn, so you can come home and really annoy the neighbors with it.

Don’t miss out on the everglades. Right before you leave Florida City for the 18 mile stretch to Key Largo you can make a right and go to the Everglades National Park. Before the main park is an airboat ride place. If you have never taken an airboat ride through the sawgrass you should. The park Is a site to see if you have never been there. A day at South Beach would be cool if you have the time. Stop at Holiday Isle on your way through the Keys for a Rum Runner with a 151 kicker. Be ready for long delays if there is an accident.

Most of all is life slows down once you get to Key Largo and the lower keys. Be ready for calm lifestyles and good times.

Dan

In the early 1990's two friends and I camped for a week at Bahia Honda State Park. It was beautiful. The small island is about 2/3 of the way down the Keys. The entire island was state park land, so there were no stores, hotels, etc. It made for a cheap, but great trip.

Besides the great beaches, the excellent snorkling is what I remember best.

I looked them up online and here's the website:

https://www.bahiahondapark.com/

I'm jealous. You and the wife are going to have a great time down there!

JJ

Again, thanks guys, you are all turely a great bunch of guys!

Dan, thanks for the heads up. Montreal drivers are also notoriously bad!

We'll be hitting the 'visitor's centers as we find them!

Originally posted by Dbarrm
If you have never taken an airboat ride through the sawgrass you should.

Word of advice about airboat rides: Keep your mouth closed when the boat is moving. No matter how cool the experience is, don't make a "toothy" smile ;)

And don't forget the sunscreen!

If your going to Key West, I hear the Pier House is great. Crank up the Buffett, grab some Corona and lime, maybe a little Jose', and you're set. Reccomended albums: One Particular Harbor, Floridays, Fruitcakes, Banana Wind, or Beaches from the Boats, Beaches and Bars box set. That's what I would do! I know there's plenty of stuff to do there other than that, though. I would definately go fishing--I heard that bone fishing is a really cool thing to do. Have a great time...I'm jealous!

Oh, any one know where 'Kocomo' is?

the wife asked, as she started to sing the Beach Boys song..

:D:D

**** stolen from *** https://www.surfermoon.com/lyrics/still_cruisin.html#5

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you
Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go
Jamaica

Off the Florida Keys
There's a place called Kokomo
That's where you wanna go to get away from it all

Bodies in the sand
Tropical drink melting in your hand
We'll be falling in love
To the rhythm of a steel drum band
Down in Kokomo

To Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama

Ooo I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast
And then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

To Martinique, that Monserrat mystique

We'll put out to sea
And we'll perfect our chemistry
By and by we'll defy a little bit of gravity

Afternoon delight
Cocktails and moonlit nights
That dreamy look in your eye
Give me a tropical contact high
Way down in Kokomo

We'll get there fast
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

Port Au Prince I wanna catch a glimpse

Everybody knows
A little place like Kokomo
Now if you wanna go
And get away from it all
Go down to Kokomo

We'll get there fast
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo

If you're so inclined...
I usually take two or three different kites....
Nothing like sitting with the beer and leaving the kites up all day... Last week I even mounted my booster vision mini cam and recorded a ton of video....LOL!!!

Steward

Kokomo was written by John Phillips, recently departed and of the Mamas and the Papas, father of Mackenzie (one day at a time) Phillips.

here comes the weekend!
Andy

Oh, any one know where 'Kocomo' is?

60 miles due north of Indianapolis.

It'd probably use up the miles on your rental car.

Holly Cammolly

Dyna, youre' right!! I though you were pulling my leg!!

There is a Kocomo in Indiana!! Surfing is lousy I bet!

Anything?

GREETINGS FROM KEY WEST! That's right folks! I'm down here in Key West too! :D

Wogz, if by chance you happen to gain internet access today drop me a line. I'm at the DoubleTree Grand Resort on Key West. Maybe we could meet you guys for dinner tonight or for breakfast in the morning. I leave tomorrow sometime around mid-day.

Call the front desk and ask for "Eugenio Cebollero." Hope to hear from you. If not, enjoy your stay! The weather is great out here!

Key West
3990 South Roosevelt Boulevard
Key West, Florida 33040
305-293-1818

Just got back. (like, 6 hrs ago!!)

Sorry I missed you, Eugene! :(

One wicked storm though, that rolled though last thurday night!! Miss a good thunder storm!

Back