Fliskits Tri-Glide & 102 Cans of Krylon Primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Yup, that's right. Just got back from Wally-world after purchasing 102 cans of sandable primer. The woman at the checkout asked what I was doing with that many cans of Krylon primer.

I told her that I was building a sport, boost glider, and needed to paint the main rocket. I told her I met Jim Flis on a number of occasions and he makes great model rockets! She still pressed me why I still need 102 cans of primer (grey to be specific).

Well, I continued, "Jim puts a lot of care into his products and I trust in what he says without any doubt. So when I was reading the last page of the instructions (after step 20) in putting my Tri-Glide together it said, and I quote, "Apply '203' coats of sandable primer, sanding between coats.""

Yea, that's a lot of sanding, but I betchya the finish is going to be smoother than a babies bottom and my reflection will be like a mirror. :D

Jim, you may want to change your instructions there - I think it's suppose to read, "2(-)3 coats of sandable primer". ;)

Oh, and you owe me for the other 101 cans of primer I haven't used yet. LMBO!!!:rotflol::rotflol::rotflol:

P.S. Surely that story has to win me a prize of some sort . . .

You would have bonus points if you failed to mention you were joking!, I actually thought you did it!

LOL, how's a cookie sound? :p

cookie-bite-web.jpg

Yeah, that's the expert way to get better performance in your rockets, especially your boost gliders: keep adding more primer! ;)

Rockets can never be too big, too smooth, or too well-primed...

:rotflol: :lol: :rotflol: :lol: :rotflol:

Mark \\.

LOL

Oh, by the way, those primer coats are for the main ship only, not the gliders...

Not good on the foam *and* that would just weigh the gliders down...

The other good news is that after all those coats of primer, you can reach in with tools and unravel the body tube and fly just the primer! :D

Hang on, lemme add this to my list of "need to edit" files... :)

:rotflol:

I had a dickens of a time trying to find a 'flat surfave' to lay my canted motor tubes on to dry!:lol:

And when I grabbed the tube marking guide for the Maxi mount it stated it was the Mini 13mm mount guide!:lol:

Yup, that's right. Just got back from Wally-world after purchasing 102 cans of sandable primer. The woman at the checkout asked what I was doing with that many cans of Krylon primer.

Heh I just had a flashback to when I was cleaning my local Wally-World stores out of old-school Krylon. I got a bunch of strange looks and one clerk even accused me of getting ready to go out "tagging". :pirate:

Its illegal for stores in NZ to sell spray paint or anything that can be used to graffiti/tag
Funny thing is, supposedly the graffiti and tagging rate has gone up after they introduced that law.

Might I suggest you hang on to that paint and pick up a couple Big Honkin' Rockets to use it on? I would imagine those take a LOT of paint ;), though I haven't looked at mine yet--I plan on building them over the weekend.

Might I suggest you hang on to that paint and pick up a couple Big Honkin' Rockets to use it on? I would imagine those take a LOT of paint ;), though I haven't looked at mine yet--I plan on building them over the weekend.
Yeah, gallons and gallons, from what I hear... :surprised:

Mark \\.

Back