FlisKits: Announcement: A.C.M.E. Spitfire

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You heard about it...

...some of you have seen it...

It's still hard to beleive, isn't it??

FlisKits would like to PRE-announce the A.C.M.E. Spitfire! The most unique, odd, mind-numbing model rocket kit that has ever been produced. This is the kind of kit that gives RSO's night-terrors!

Retail price: $15.95

Product details can be found by clicking on the main page ad at https://fliskits.com/

The A.C.M.E. Spitfire is categorized under SPORT models and SKILL LEVEL 3 models.

The A.C.M.E. Spitfire will be available for sale at NARAM-45 starting Saturday morning. It will be available for general purchase on 9-August (Saturday).

SORRY, but pre-orders aren't being accepted. We realize that many people have been waiting for this announcement and may be upset that they have to wait more, but we have decided that with my daughter (Jen) running the shipping department while we are away, we didn't want to bury her in a new-product announcement ship commit.

Jim,

when I get to NARAM on Sunday I am running to your booth with a fistfull of cash. You better be ready.

LOL and Nick wasn't kidding either!

I saw them pull up and wandered over to say hi only to have Nick and Tom turn around with a fist full of money asking where the ACME's were! Thought I would fall over laughing! LOL

oh yea...

gee...

...almost fergot...

the A.C.M.E. Spitfire is now LIVE

COME 'N GIT 'EM

NOTE: Be sure to hit RELOAD to see the new pages

Just paypal'ed mine!

(jeesh, had to edit a 3 word post :eek: )

Just e-mailed Jim for a quote on shipping to this side of the pond!

Jim, the Deuce and cones came today, all in good shape. For about 10 sec I thought the instructions were missing, until I peeked into the tube :) This looks like and EXTREMELY fun rocket to build...and I'll be starting shortly. And the Tulanko-Tail - what away to recognize one of your top customers. Very cool.

Just got mine in the mail today. Gawd, already, I got kit #100.

I'm tellin' you, the introductory sale of this kit has blown us away! It's a good thing! :D

But, what's REALLY amazing is that since our return, the Deuce's Wild! is **STILL** outselling even the ACME! quite a kit, both of them!

As for the "Tulanko Tail TM", well I cound't resist, and who better to honor than my good friend Carl. I'm not sure how many here know this (i know I mentioned it in here someplace...), but Carl and I go WAY back. We both started in the High-tech field together with Digital Equipment in New Hampshire, used to camp together and socialize. Heck, he even came to mine and Kathy's wedding!

It was quite a shock, after loosing touch with him for 25 years, to come to TRF a year ago and find him all over again ***AND*** actually get to see him 3 times this year. way cool. :)

Glad you got your kits on time (rstaff3). Seems like this kit is a big hit to build which tickles me no end as it was a *very* complex kit to document so that it would be relatively easy to build.

jim

Wel, after finishing and flying mine, then submitting a review, I can tell you Jim that the documentation was flawless, minus one short spelled word. You guys did FANTASTIC and made if very easy to understand...thanks a bunch. Oh yea, just sent in yet ANOTHER order...yea my third Spitfire...but I was so excited building that Thomas came to me and said "...er...Dad...where's MY kit to build???!!!" Ooops :D Kinda got carried away...got good to me.

Kermie, that means mine will not even have a number if you got 100, which is fine as I am going to let my son build this one...I promise! ;)

Dick...you GOTTA get to it man...it is a hoot!

Carl

ACME Junkie

Jim, I also recieved my second Deuce and first Spitfire today(#85)

I'm starting on it tomorrow and should have it done in time for the weekend!!!

I downloaded the wraps and thought I might play with the design but acrobat wont let me send them to my grafics program . it says I need to buy a registered full version to manipulate any files ? is there a workaround to that?

Stymye,

about the best I could offer would be to send you some GIF versions of the artwork so you don't have to deal with the PDF. Send me an email as a reminder and I'll get them out tomorrow or Friday.

I hope to have GIF blanks online sometime soon

jim

no hurry Jim ,take your time

just keep busy packing those Spitfires and Deuces for all those patiently waiting rocketeers out there first

did you see the "Tulanko Tail?" :D

One nice thing about this kit is... you can slop on the glue... and it adds to the look :D

Quote: (from instructions of the Fliskits ACME)

"This technique of protecting the shroud or bottom of a body tube with a flush centering ring is called a Tulanko-Tail (TM)."

Hey, as far as skins for the A.C.M.E. Spitfire how about some wrinkled looking ones. With it all bent out of shape anyway why not add wrinkles. Just a thought.......Larry

Originally posted by Larry
Hey, as far as skins for the A.C.M.E. Spitfire how about some wrinkled looking ones. With it all bent out of shape anyway why not add wrinkles. Just a thought.......Larry

Larry,

That would best be accomplished with Paper Mache'.... LOL man, now THAT would be an interesting look!

Yup....I had been thinking about that myself and what we talked about, like having each section look like a barrel of hazardous waste with the signs on the side, wrinkles at the bends like the barrel was dropped and different corroded drip mark colors oozing from each wrinkle...that would be tough looking! :)

As far as the tail thing goes...I felt pretty honored that someone noticed my rockets business end...almost all of em are built flush, which prevents tube dings, makes the end stronger and IMHO, just plain looks better! This is what I am talking about...a collauge of pics showing some of my stuff.

<a target="_blank" href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/amraam/tailmain.jpg">Mystuff</a>

Carl

My next question was does Carl do this a lot...I geuss that's been answered now!

Carl,

This is where the old model railroading "weathering" techniques will come in handy!

I always weathered my tank cars like that.

Sorry guys, but Carl and I were into model railroading in a different lifetime

Warm up the airbrush!

sandman

While the bottom shroud on my Acme is drying, I decided to work on the nose cone shroud. I scanned the sheet from the kit and began fiddling. The Adobe Photo Deluxe that came with a digicam had the best distortion filters of the programs I have, so that's what I used. I found a frontal pic of Wile, and wrapped him over a sphere. This way, when the cone is formed, he is 'straightened out'. Printed directly on cardstock.

For now I think I'm sticking (no pun intended) with the rest of Jim's wraps, printed on sticker material.

A most excellent idea, Mr. Stafford. Love it!

Jim...any chance of using Carl's idea of having cone shrouds and nose shrouds printed on label paper?

Also, blanks in an easily rewritable format would be cool as well to encourage creativity. A Fliskits SOM (Skin of the month) contest?

Originally posted by KermieD
Just got mine in the mail today. Gawd, already, I got kit #100.

-----------------------
Got mine in the mail yesterday, kit #98. Now I'm torn between building it or saving it for a collectors item. I gotta think that these first 100 Spitfire kits will be worth a whole lot more in a few years. It's going to be a must have kit, that's for sure. Maybe I'll just order another, surely my wife won't mind... Mortgage vs rockets is always an easy choice, NOT.

That Spitfire 1st kit auction is sure going to be interesting! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KermieD
A most excellent idea, Mr. Stafford. Love it!

Also, blanks in an easily rewritable format would be cool as well to encourage creativity. A Fliskits SOM (Skin of the month) contest?

I'm sure you could submit a skin even if it doesn't exactly meet the contest requirements. :p Ah heck, it would just be fun to be given an honorable mention for a submission like that.

Man, I just LOVE the creativity of youse guys! :)

a contest is definitely in the works! Kathy and I have been talking about that since well before release.

I love that nose cone, by the way. Photos of the finished product are, of course, a must!

I know I prolly should start a thread elsewhere, but ....

Here's the finished cone

Latest posts

Back