Flight of the Cucumber

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judo

Reaction score
Baby Judo and I hit the local field today with 4 rockets in queue. First up was a starter kit rocket I got many years ago but just recently put together: an Estes Sabre. I put it up on an A8-3 with a streamer recovery. It had a nice straight shoot off of the pad and came down just missing an asphalt walk way and a chain link fence.
Next up was the Larrymobile on a B4-2. Not straight but a fine recovery and demonstration of the using the nose cone as a parachute compartment. The B4-2 really didn’t have the “umph” needed for a nice flight. If that is all you have though, make sure you are using a really stiff launch rod. My 36” aluminum rod didn’t seem to have it.

Third up was another Fat Boy done in University of Florida colors. I guess that makes it Gator Boy. It’s where my daughter wants to go. This one has nylon/CYA reinforced fins and I want to put it up later with 18mm reloads. Launched this one on a B6-4 and it still had a lot of arc. It also has a parachute compartment in the nose and worked wonderfully.

Finally there was the much anticipated Fliskits Farscape on a B6-4. It’s a great motor for that rocket. All flights were straight and true. Because it flew so well off of the launch rod it is what leads me to believe that my Fat Boys need stiller rods. I put the Farscape up on a total of 3 B6-4’s and one C6-5. The last B6-4 flight actually flew right back to the pad! On the C6-5 it headed for the nearest copse of pine trees on the way down but thankfully over flew them by just a couple feet.

The Fat Boys each got one other flight. Both of them suffered from broken recovery harnesses. The Gator Boy had a harness of Kevlar string and it snapped at ejection. It was well below 100’ feet at ejection and came down with no damage. The Larrymobile used much heavier Kevlar for its harness but I glued it in place at the split seam of the body tube; Shame on me for that one. I’ll just make a new strip of body tube and insert it back into the nose sleeve. I’ll have to order new Kevlar for the Gator Boy as I’m all out.
I did have to yield the field for a few minutes for this guy, but I was more than happy to do it.

As far as pictures, go all I have are pad shots. I did manage to snap a couple of smoke trails but I just deleted them. Overall, it was a really great day at the field. I should have everything repaired in time for the August NEFAR launch on the 12th. I plan on bringing all of these as well as my carrot looking Fliskits Tumble Weed and my nylon/cya reinforced Big Daddy I call “School Spirit.” I want to but it up on a D or E for its maiden flight but put it way up with a real smoky F or G. The E’s I’ve got but I’ll need to buy anything higher power while I’m there. See Ya!

How come after all the Notice that the "Holy Flying Cucumbers" thread got, that nothing has been said here over a flown & returned Larrymobile? It must be true that these guys have to see smoke & fire to bring the blood pressure up, huh?!?

Oh, Well!!!

Beats me? I repaired the recovery harness so it's ready to go in two weeks, weather permitting. Hopefully then I can get a launch photo. Until then...?

Dang - I didn't even see this one! Great job!

Originally posted by Judo
>snip
make sure you are using a really stiff launch rod. My 36” aluminum rod didn’t seem to have it.
I strongly recommend you replace your aluminum rod with a steel one. Given the same diameter for both, a steel one will be three times stiffer, meaning it will deflect only a third of that of the aluminum one for the same side load.
-Jim

Originally posted by bunkerbrother
please elaborate on your nosecone chute compartment

Yep...I would like to hear more about that myself...

Sure fellas!

I got the idea from Powderburner in this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4288&perpage=20&highlight=nose%20cone&pagenumber=1

In the .xls file it references a BT-60. It's actually a BT-80. The modification is intended for FB's with heavy back ends but would work on any FB. Apperantly FB's are bad about burning through shock cords and 'chutes; this prevents that from happening and eliminates the need for any wadding.

Scroll down until you see Powderburners 2nd entry; it is about 2/3 of the way down on the 1st page.

Back