Fitting Streamers in Body Tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRiJoe

Reaction score
What is the maximum size, in length and width , that will successfully deploy in a BT-20 and a BT-50? I'm also interested in what would be the best material for the streamer as i'm building both a BT-20 model and a BT-50 model for my Nartrek Bronze

What is the maximum size, in length and width , that will successfully deploy in a BT-20 and a BT-50? I'm also interested in what would be the best material for the streamer as i'm building both a BT-20 model and a BT-50 model for my Nartrek Bronze
Joe,

Before you get too carried away, keep in mind that the biggest, draggiest streamers may get you way more time than you need. That is, an ordinary streamer may be more than adequate.

That said, I've seen 4" wide streamers put in BT-20 rockets. Can't recall the special materials, but crepe paper works well for this kind of stuff. You can start with ~60" and fan fold it down to a 4" length, then roll that up and wrap the shock cord around it. The wrapped cord keeps it from unfurling in the body tube and jamming itself in. (It goes without saying to leave enough slack in the shock cord for it to come all the way out :))

Doug

To be perfectly honest it really depends on your skills and the materials you have at your disposal.

I've seen BT-20 SD models with 10" x 100" or 10" x 120" 1/2mil mylar streamers fully deploy and thermal away.

I personally fly a 3" x 120" crepe streamer in my vintage Goblin, which came with a 2" x 120" crepe streamer.

Many of my competition Paper tigers and Taper Papers in the BT-20 size range fly with 8" x 80" to 100" 1/2Mil mylar streamers.
OBTW: That often quoted 1:10 width to length ratio formula is a Guideline "rule of thumb", NOT a rigid set in stone rule. It was concieved in the mid 70's based on Crepe paper, Tracing velium & Mica film material streamers. While it's not a bad rule of thumb it's not all that with mylars and many other materials.

Again it's all about what your trying to accomplish. for your 30sec bronze level nartrek flight just about any decent BT-20 model with a 4" x 40" crepe streamer will more then do the job:) Remember you also MUST return the model.
Below are a few different Streamer material you may be able to find fairly easily. Apogee is a good source for 1/2mil or 1mil mylar, I wouldn't suggest anything thicker. Hope this helps...Good Luck with your Nartrek Bronze.

Streamer Fab-b4g1_Accordion fold 8pic pg 1of2_09-30-06.jpg

Streamer Fab-b4g2_Accordion fold 8pic pg 2of2_09-30-06.jpg

Last edited:
Back